Injury Report: Maple Leafs' Petter Granberg on waivers, Reimer Lower body?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It would be too easy to show you are wrong, Tim Thomas says hello....

No NHL organization can retain their prospects for 10 years for the off chance one beats the odds by being a late bloomer. It would create an organizational log jam. Teams have to make their final decisions on what they have about 5 years after the player is drafted. So a few of these guys might still make the NHL for another organization later down the road. At the same time you'll also find a couple of these late bloomers yourself. It's just how the system works with contract limits and waivers on most players by around 23.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
You either haven't watch rafalski play or you haven't watched Percy play.... I'll assume you haven't seen Percy because hes an average skater/puck handler at best. He is a similar player to granberg. Solid first pass, good defensively, and has size.

I remember him being a pretty good skating, smart player with a good first pass who was kind of lacking in size and physical presence. Maybe my memory is failing me.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I think the Leafs themselves would have kept Granberg if they believed he had top 4 NHL potential. IMO

Down the road we will see if the Leafs made the right decision between Marincin, Corrado and Granberg. Leafs might even believe that Percy is also ahead of Granberg on the pro organization depth at present.

I think you could argue at least 2 & possibly even 4 defence playing for the Marlies are equivalent or better than Granberg in the depth department.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
yeah that's what people said about Franson too.

they easily could have had a need in a minors, where we did not.
as well as i would think that our new talent evaluation would simply not have had a need for granberg (or hoped - liked Vancouver did with Corrado) that he could go unclaimed, which he did not.

it doesn't always have to be negative.

FYI, since NSH claimed Granberg off waivers, they can't assign him to the AHL without first offering him back to us (and if we take him back, we can send him to the Marlies w/o waivers). If we refuse him, he would then have to pass through waivers unclaimed to go to their AHL team. I'm 100% positive they do not plan on playing him in the minors, unless their GM doesn't understand the waiver rules (which is almost unthinkable).

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
? Why dont you rate Percy? And he might not be the best skater but he is still a mobile d-man, and the brain is his best asset.

Percy is good skater and a very good d-man. His setbacks have all been in the injury department. It's the unsung part of "development" that rarely gets talked about - these guys have to go from being good hockey players to be physical beasts if they wanna succeed as a Pro.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Toronto Star, the Toronto Maple Leafs lost defenceman Petter Granberg to the Nashville Predators on waivers because he is a stay-at-home type defenceman, and Leafs coach Mike Babcock has no time for those.

Babcock prefers swift skaters and fast puck movers and Granberg didn't fit that bill.

But more to the point, teams have a small window in which to measure players. Given teams can only have 50 players under contract playing pro (those in junior don't count), calls have to be made usually by the time a player is 22.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/break...he-leafs-lost-petter-granberg-on-waivers.html

Granberg was once considered a top defensive prospect for the Maple Leafs, an example of a European scouting system that was going to find steals in lower rounds. Granberg was a fourth-rounder who played eight games for the Maple Leafs.

He was recovering from a torn achilles tendon and the Leafs thought they could sneak him through waivers, that no team would want a player who hadn't played since spring, but they were wrong.

They took the risk, though, because Granberg's a stay-at-home type defenceman, and Leafs coach Mike Babcock has no time for those. As he's said, why would a defenceman want to stay in his own end?

Babcock prefers swift skaters and fast puck movers and Granberg didn't fit that bill.

Granberg is probably ready to play in the NHL. Nashville is probably the team that best appreciates his skill sets, even if he is the ninth defenceman on their roster.

OUT WITH THE YOUNG

The Leafs? Well, they're finished with another prospect from the previous regime. Gone in very short order: Andrew MacWilliam, Greg McKegg, Brad Ross, David Broll, Tom Nilsson, Tyler Biggs, Carter Verheaghe and Matt Finn.

Part of it, sure, is any new regime's distaste for anything that could make the old regime look good. They'd never say it, but it's a time-honoured tradition in pro sports.

But more to the point, teams have a small window in which to measure players. Given teams can only have 50 players under contract playing pro (those in junior don't count), calls have to be made usually by the time a player is 22.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
We do have Bernier, or maybe Sparks can be brought up, why put in an injured goal tender?

It was a narrative with absolutely no basis that Reimer has played through minor injuries in the past and Bernier hasn't. I was merely poking fun.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It was a narrative with absolutely no basis that Reimer has played through minor injuries in the past and Bernier hasn't. I was merely poking fun.

Sorry I misunderstood, there are a number of people slagging Reimer, for every Goal he lets in and I thought this was just another put down.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

The fact that he played through concussion symptoms without following concussion protocols on more than one occasion is absolutely based in fact.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
? Why dont you rate Percy? And he might not be the best skater but he is still a mobile d-man, and the brain is his best asset.

I do not agree that his brain is his best asset...I have watched him repeatedly make the same mistakes over and over again. I fully expect that he will be included in a trade at some point this season.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
The fact that he played through concussion symptoms without following concussion protocols on more than one occasion is absolutely based in fact.

And you know this how? You do realize players get tested for these kind of things, and won't and the trainers won't let them play if they fail protocol?

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

that's because it was whiplash, which can also cause concussion like symptoms, however not be a concussion.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

Oh man, back to 3-4 GA a night with Bernier again :shakehead

leafs aren't playing until saturday.. I suspect he just tweaked something.

however I could see tank commander burnyay getting a start though.. Reimer certainly did not play well at all last night.

however, even the best have nights they don't play well, hard to say what babcock will do here.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
@markhmasters
Smiling James Reimer on injury: "We’ll see what happens. I’m not too worried about it so we’ll see how she goes."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->