Sportsnet: Maple Leafs need to mend divided dressing room

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Blows my mind that people are just finally starting to realize this now, but its better late then never.

I remember getting hammered for saying that this team would never win anything while Kessel was on it.

You wouldn't get two bit coin for him right now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Polak is just saying what anyone that follows and watches the Leafs play regular already knows. Leafs can't and are unwilling to commit to play defense.

2013-14 = 256 goals against verses 2014-15 = 128 goals against /41 games [= 256 GA/82]

&
2014-15 record @ 41 games = 21-17-3 for 45 points
vs
2013-14 record @ 41 games = 20-16-5 for 45 points

Leafs swapped out their entire bottom 6 forwards and added Polak and Robidas to the defense and it accomplished nothing in terms of improvement.

I guess Orr, McLaren, McClement, Ranger etc etc weren't the problem as their replacements haven't changed anything.

The problem with this team remains the core players that didn't change and most importantly refuse to change the way they play. !!.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Is it just me, or do the Leafs ALWAYS seem to have a dressing room problem?

Doesn't matter who the personnel are, they always have issues according to the media. Generation after generation of Leaf teams are a bunch of *******s.

92-93 was the best team playing like a team I have ever seen.

They got a ton out of the fairly limited talent they had.

Blows my mind that people are just finally starting to realize this now, but its better late then never.

I remember getting hammered for saying that this team would never win anything while Kessel was on it.

I've been saying for a lonnnng time you'll never get anywhere with Kessel and Phaneuf as your best players too..

Pretty sure that is still the case.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
But, but, but, but, but....

People with brains have been saying this for some time now.

Based on observation, body language, reading between the lines, life experience that helps you to know how certain dynamics work, refusing to be duped, lied to, played, or to be a brainless, gullible tit.

But the those that keep insisting you simply cannot know in any way, shape or form what goes on between players.

IT IS BEYOND POSSIBILITY AND COMPREHENSION. IT WOULD BE ON THE SAME PLAIN OF DIFFICULTY AS BUILDING A NUCLEAR REACTOR IN YOUR BACK YARD.

IT CANNOT BE DONE.

KESSEL WILL LEAD US TO THE PROMISED LAND AND IF YOU DARE TO SAY OTHERWISE, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A "TRUE" FAN...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sweet mother of ****. You can't make this **** up...

The funny thing is though, it doesn't matter what any of us think.

You were right. Now what? Aside from having your ego stroked, what has been accomplished?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, who cares? Hopefully the Leafs win their next game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The funny thing is though, it doesn't matter what any of us think.

You were right. Now what? Aside from having your ego stroked, what has been accomplished?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, who cares? Hopefully the Leafs win their next game.

What's wrong with you?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Does Polak say the "dressing room is divided" or is this just an assumed leap?
By all accounts they've seemed like a pretty tight group.

Some of them may get along well (ie Bozak and Kessel) but that doesn't change the fact others see them as not willing to work hard.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
What?

Polak should be benched for that statement true or false. Why put fuel on the fire? He's in no position at all to be talking about other people's position. I wish he'd play more defense.

Taking a puck to the face should get him in a 5 dollar bill according to some around here. Lirl. We got hosed for this mediocre defenseman and now he's starting ****?

The trade that keeps on giving

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
yup, i totally remember that.

I mean people keep saying it: Bernier who came from LA keeps pointing it out. Winnik said that that the reason why the 'good teams' are the good teams is that they choose to do it every day, they're almost robotic and we need to get here. they tease Santorelli for being so dedicated to working out and practicing, Polak (who isn't perfect) lobs that grenade last night, today.

(shrug)

I agree with your main point but having just read the article on Santorelli I would point out that it was written just after he signed with the Leafs and therefore had probably not met his new team. I took it to mean his ex-Canuck teammates were the ones giving him a hard time but I may well be wrong. Does anyone else know what actually happened?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Nothing wrong with calling out players who refuse to work hard.
The captain won't, the coach didn't, the GM rewards them

I'd be pissed too if I worked hard, played hard, came out to help my team after my face being re-arranged, and then seeing guys float out there.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What?

Polak should be benched for that statement true or false. Why put fuel on the fire? He's in no position at all to be talking about other people's position. I wish he'd play more defense.

Taking a puck to the face should get him in a 5 dollar bill according to some around here. Lirl. We got hosed for this mediocre defenseman and now he's starting ****?

You seem to be more upset at the guy who is diagnosing the problem than the problems themselves.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You seem to be more upset at the guy who is diagnosing the problem than the problems themselves.

Not his situation to diagnose. He's in NO position to critique. Great, he has heart. Doesn't change the fact he's not a very good defenseman.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Is it just me, or do the Leafs ALWAYS seem to have a dressing room problem?

Doesn't matter who the personnel are, they always have issues according to the media. Generation after generation of Leaf teams are a bunch of *******s.

Either all of the Leafs management groups over the years have been historically terrible at character evaluation, or Toronto is apparently cursed. (by the media)

this is pretty true. we can use kessel and phaneuf as the scapegoat but both have only been in toronto ~5 years. this problem has been going one well over 5 years.

one thing that we know 100% is that it is not a coaching or a gm issue (even though i suspect nonis will be gone by the end of the season). there have been several coaches and gms that have blown through town and there has been the same issues.

if its not management then its players? the problem is the players have turned over multiple times and its still the same issue?

in my opinion the only thing the leafs havent tried doing in the past 20+ years is blowing it up. you need to start from the foundation. it doesnt matter how good the house is if the foundation is broken.

shanny should look to move out jvr, bozak, kessel, phaneuf, gardiner, franson, and go from there.

players like winnik, santorelli, komorov, even clarkson have integrity and heart. i would rather have guys like that scattered throughout the lineup and do a proper rebuild.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
What?

It's about sending a message..

200_s.gif

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Polak is right but god he's also a terrible defensemen. Leafs need to stop trading for big guys with no brain.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm sure other Members of the Team have said similar things in Players meetings where they belong. Pretty naive to think Polak is the 1st player with an opinion.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Nothing wrong with calling out players who refuse to work hard.
The captain won't, the coach didn't, the GM rewards them

I'd be pissed too if I worked hard, played hard, came out to help my team after my face being re-arranged, and then seeing guys float out there.

Typically players do not call each other out in the media like some fans may want them too.

They say things like our PP let us down which translates to our star players did not perform or our PK let us down which is the role guys usually and goalie.

Coaches call out players in the media but Captains/players do not do that to each other. That's why they say what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
What?

It's fun to bury your head in the sand

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
How many times have these offense orientated players been taken aside by a veteran player and told to play the two way game? I imagine it has been quite a few times and from the looks of things it looks like the offensive types told the defensive types to **** off.

This isn't the good old days when you can just slap your teammates around behind closed doors. If they don't want to play the right way despite teammates confronting them and coaching talking to them then it is up to the coaches and management to correct the situation. Coaches can bench and limit ice time which they did not and management can send players packing which I am sure is in process now. Obviously the coaching staff and management has not supported the winning culture that they say they want.

Hypothetical confrontation between vet (Phaneuf, Robidas, Polak, Winnik, you choose) and player not playing the system (Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Gardiner, Lupul, Phaneuf?, you choose).

I will use Robidas and Kessel

R:hey Phil you really have to start back checking and staying in the D zone longer it's hurting the team when you cheat on offense.
P: look I get paid to score goals and when I score goals the team wins. If I don't play this way I don't score and the team doesn't win.
R: you will still get your chances if you play D
P: no this is the way I have to play to be effective. If the coaches don't like the way I am playing they will do something. You guys just have to do a better job moving the puck to us.

Or Phils linemates

Robidas: you guys need to be better on the back check and in the d zone.
JVR: I am on the top line we have to create scoring chances.
Robidas: you still get your chances if you play D
JVR : we play D enough and we score a lot we are doing our part. You guys just need to be better at getting the puck up the ice.

That's nicer than offensive guy telling defensive guy to go **** himself which is probably not far off the mark.

what can actually be done? You have to confront without creating a massive rift between you and the most high profile player on the club. players holding players accountable is a tough thing to do if the offending player doesn't give two cents about what his teammates think of him. Or if teammates truly feel they cannot win without that player on there side.

Except, none of those conversations happened and you don't know how many times a d has pulled one of our top offensive players to the side.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Huh?

Captain obvious is obvious. That's no mind blowing revelation.

He's out of line. With what's going on, who does that benefit? Him? To get the admiration of guys like you who think it's "ballsy and true speak?"

It's stupid and helps nobody. Keep your mouth shut Polak

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
NOT HIS PLACE

He's a 3rd pairing dman who has 30 games with the team

Dion changed the music on the first day.

Are you mad cuz Roman is saying what needs to be said? Everyone should applaud him for having the guts to get it out there. Nothing has changed by saying nothing, so I respect the love.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad