Sportsnet: Maple Leafs need to mend divided dressing room

ILoveDraftDay

Feb 14, 2009
Pretty obvious to most of us, but good that he said this. And others too.

Kessel and Bozak need to go first. Phaneuf meh, but those two players are exactly the ones Polak was talking about. Every time they scored a goal you could see in their smiling face something like 'now we can float around again for a while'.

Most important to-do now: Get rid of Kessel before Nylander comes back to Toronto.

It does seem very likely that Nylander would find it very easy to become yet another point producing defensive black hole without the proper guidance. He may be a good kid, but even good kids are still easily influenced, especially in the direction of what is easiest.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Nothing wrong with what Polak said. They are valid comments. Now the media takes those comments and spins them as the room is divided. That is total BS how do they know....they are not in the room full time on the plane or at the hotel in the rooms with players.

Now the only beef I have with the Polak comments is the timing. I don't think he is the savvied media guy out there but I would have probably kept those comments in my back pocket for a week or so until you saw how the team responds to Hornachek.

Also not the best time to do it right after a coaching fire and the media is in a Leaf bashing frenzy just more fuel for their negative stuff.....hence the spun headling of LEAF ROOM DIVIDED.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
The problem with the Leafs is that they are not a team at all. They are a group of individual players who play selfishly and do not give two ***** what anyone has to say about them. Do you think Kessel loses sleep at night when a reporter asks him if he thinks it's his fault Randy got fired? Hell no! Because he doesn't care. He's guaranteed to make $8,000,000 per year for the next 7 years regardless of whether he gives 110% or 50% (or regardless of whether he even plays hockey at all). Where's the incentive to play hockey? It's also no different for any of our core players.

Maybe Polak should meet Kessel at centre ice next practice for a little 5 knuckle pep talk. Then maybe his attitude will change.

i'd much rather he meet Phaneuf and take the "C" off his jersey.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
It does seem very likely that Nylander would find it very easy to become yet another point producing defensive black hole without the proper guidance. He may be a good kid, but even good kids are still easily influenced, especially in the direction of what is easiest.

I was reading the Sweden thread over in the World Junior boards. There were quite a few posts about his defensive deficiencies and blatant giveaways. Not sure if specific people were pushing an agenda-- I saw others mention how good he looked-- but it may already be an issue?

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
Probably cause he took a puck in the face, came back and worked his ass off only to watch some players mail it in

Probably pissed off and I don't blame him one bit.

Polak said all that before the hockey game

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
They're already getting called out by everyone else in leaf land. Why dump more on the pile?

Saying this even 3 weeks ago would make more sense. Then I would say it's sending a message. But not when you're just repeating what every media outlet has been saying for the past 3 days

It's not the same as someone on your own team saying it. The status quo isn't acceptable anymore and if gets to the point where a teammate has to say something then they have gone too far.

The problem with you is that you equate skill level as prerequisite for being a leader. That's a ton of ********. Smart people are leaders and what he said was smart because he didn't single out anyone on the team and let them look in the mirror and ask themselves if it was them he was talking about.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
This is the time I wish we had a real captain that would pull Polak aside and tell him to air out his comment within the dressing room. The media is so thirsty for anything they can amplify.

And yeah, Polak's comment ITSELF is not wrong. He, the players, everyone has to play better D. But saying "some players" means he's talking about a specific group. That's a dumb thing to say to a reporter.

What's wrong is he said it to a reporter and not to his teammates.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
This is the time I wish we had a real captain that would pull Polak aside and tell him to air out his comment within the dressing room. The media is so thirsty for anything they can amplify.

And yeah, Polak's comment ITSELF is not wrong. He, the players, everyone has to play better D. But saying "some players" means he's talking about a specific group. That's a dumb thing to say to a reporter.

Maybe he has sat back for the year so far and has seen that Dion actually does nothing.

Durkin67

Anybody hear Kevin Weekes' comments today?

Polak takes a puck in the mouth, returns with a face full of stitches looking like he just had his wisdom teeth yanked, and Nobody on the bench besides Reimer even acknowledges him. That's brutal. Dude puts on a display of heart and determination, and he gets crickets. From his brothers in arms.

BRUTAL! UNFORGIVABLE!

As Weekes said, imagine if it was the Chicago or LA bench. He'd be given a heroes' welcome. Guys would be glove tapping him and rallying behind that act of courage and character.

Nothing about that doesn't absolutely suck.

Durkin67

Im sure it's been said ad nauseum in the dressing room. He isn't blind siding anyone

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Those of you who think that this stuff has not been talked about behind closed doors are not seeing reality. This stuff is talked about from day one of camp. Being responsible in your own end, chipping the puck out, help team mates etc. Polak says it last night and he is getting crap from some of you guys.

Fact of the matter is the coaches have been harping on it all year and nothing has changed, I'm sure some players have said the same things behind closed doors and nothing has changed. I'm sure some guys are getting tired of it.

I look at the Leafs and I see Dallas with more talent. Watching Dallas play is a complete joke but they do get some nice goals. Leafs are the same. We are one of the few teams in the league where opposing forward hit our blue line in full stride, there is little to no resistance from the forwards. There is no help and our d is hung out to dry. Last night Kadri was lost. Do you give him a mulligan for being off for a week and a bit and maybe the lungs weren't there? But too many forwards miss their assignments.

Leadership starts at the top with Phill and Dion. Neither knows how to lead by example.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Anybody hear Kevin Weekes' comments today?

Polak takes a puck in the mouth, returns with a face full of stitches looking like he just had his wisdom teeth yanked, and Nobody on the bench besides Reimer even acknowledges him. That's brutal. Dude puts on a display of heart and determination, and he gets crickets. From his brothers in arms.

BRUTAL! UNFORGIVABLE!

As Weekes said, imagine if it was the Chicago or LA bench. He'd be given a heroes' welcome. Guys would be glove tapping him and rallying behind that act of courage and character.

Nothing about that doesn't absolutely suck.

Oh no! From what Kevin Weekes saw from afar, all the Leafs didn't acknowledge him. They completely ignored him and told him he looked really dumb with his face broken. I'm sure NOBODY said anything to him in the dressing room, at intermission, or after the game, or on the ice because Kevin Weekes has a mic on every guy.

And I'm sick of this LA reference. I watch their games and follow the team. There's a lot of stuff that happens that Kings fans are p*ssed about. Stop using that as a comparison to try to make a point against the Leafs.

Durkin67

Oh no! From what Kevin Weekes saw from afar, all the Leafs didn't acknowledge him. They completely ignored him and told him he looked really dumb with his face broken. I'm sure NOBODY said anything to him in the dressing room, at intermission, or after the game, or on the ice because Kevin Weekes has a mic on every guy.

And I'm sick of this LA reference. I watch their games and follow the team. There's a lot of stuff that happens that Kings fans are p*ssed about. Stop using that as a comparison to try to make a point against the Leafs.

You are choosing to be oblivious to the reality of it.

Mike Johnson also said the same.

A guy returns to the bench looking like he's been mauled by a dog and you say nothing at the time?

Maybe text him after the game?

You dont get it.

If referencing what should be the bar in terms of a bench that is capable of winning upsets you, you need might need new standards.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I was reading the Sweden thread over in the World Junior boards. There were quite a few posts about his defensive deficiencies and blatant giveaways. Not sure if specific people were pushing an agenda-- I saw others mention how good he looked-- but it may already be an issue?

It's hard to know until the kid is actually on the team in the NHL.
You can look great on offense (some people only rate a player on that) but not impressed with the D. He's 18, we have to wait and see. As long as he's willing to put in the work and effort. That's the key.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
This is just my opinion. Take it or leave it. This is my checklist of **** to-do if I am Shanahan.

-Fire Nonis

-Hire defensive-coach with no BS attitude who will teach our offensive minded players the value of defense or they are going to sit in the pressbox and risk being traded.

-Never trade a first round pick ever again because NO.

-Strip Phaneuf of the C and go without a captain, let a real leader emerge.

- Shop around anyone not named the following: JvR, Rielly, Bernier, Kadri, Komarov, Polak because they are coachable players that can turn it around.

-Get Jake Gardiner off this god damn team

- Sit down with the roster and tell them that the Coach has full authority. He can pressbox who he wishes and if you don't like it, too bad. You can't win cups from personal feelings.

- Last but very important. BAN THE MEDIA FROM THE LOCKER-ROOM. They are a distraction with the only agenda being to rattle your players for a "story" and although not everything they publish is always a lie, it still can hamper a teams success.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
You are choosing to be oblivious to the reality of it.

Mike Johnson also said the same.

A guy returns to the bench looking like he's been mauled by a dog and you say nothing at the time?

Maybe text him after the game?

You dont get it.

If referencing what should be the bar in terms of a bench that is capable of winning upsets you, you need might need new standards.

I'd say someone who values a couple of TV analysts to read a dressing room they're not part of is the bold part.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
This is just my opinion. Take it or leave it. This is my checklist of **** to-do if I am Shanahan.

-Fire Nonis

-Hire defensive-coach with no BS attitude who will teach our offensive minded players the value of defense or they are going to sit in the pressbox and risk being traded.

- Shop around anyone not named the following: JvR, Rielly, Bernier, Kadri, Komarov, Polak because they are coachable players that can turn it around.

- Sit down with the roster and tell them that the Coach has full authority. He can pressbox who he wishes and if you don't like it, too bad. You can't win cups from personal feelings.

- Last but very important. BAN THE MEDIA FROM THE LOCKER-ROOM. They are a distraction with the only agenda being to rattle your players for a "story" and although not everything they publish is always a lie, it still can hamper a teams success.

love it. And I liked a lot of your points. Polak included as an untouchable was a stretch but I'll buy in.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
TO much negativity on these forums, you all need some cheering up. Here is a panda cub.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So cute. You are right this franchise will give a coronary to some die-hard Leafs fan at some point. The negativity has become stifling to the point that some people just tune out this team.

The Leafs are losing a generation of fans in this city, especially the kids born from 2000 onward. They never got to see the good side of this team in the 1990's and early 2000's. It's a tragedy really, but one the Leafs will soon realize when the demand for tickets is lessened in 20 to 30 years time at the very least.

Mar 26, 2010

-Fire Nonis

Strip Phaneuf of the "C"? **** NO! Get him the hell out of here! Put him on waivers, send him down to the Marlies, just get him the **** out now! He is the #1 problem here.

Durkin67

I'd say someone who values a couple of TV analysts to read a dressing room they're not part of is the bold part.

two former NHLers who have spent their entire lives in this environment may have a slight edge over you...I know, its a stretch...

And, just to be clear, they were reading the events right there on the bench, not in a closed dressing room.
Johnson was actually there at ice level, between benches.

wmark

Apr 5, 2014

-Fire Nonis

I like this post.

But I'd like to see a season of Kessel away from Bozak before we trade him.

Why is Bozak glued to Kessel anyways? They are not Bert and Ernie.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Have we found out yet who's on which side of the divide?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad