Sportsnet: Maple Leafs need to mend divided dressing room

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Not surprised, if I were a player on this team, I wouldn't play defence either, seeing how our best players treat that side of the game.

You are only as strong as your weakest or strongest link.

Reminds me of when Gleason first came to the team last year. He started out blocking every shot he could, a week or two later he stopped. I'm sure he was thinking if they won't sacrifice, why should I?

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
But, but, but, but, but....

People with brains have been saying this for some time now.

Based on observation, body language, reading between the lines, life experience that helps you to know how certain dynamics work, refusing to be duped, lied to, played, or to be a brainless, gullible tit.

But the those that keep insisting you simply cannot know in any way, shape or form what goes on between players.

IT IS BEYOND POSSIBILITY AND COMPREHENSION. IT WOULD BE ON THE SAME PLAIN OF DIFFICULTY AS BUILDING A NUCLEAR REACTOR IN YOUR BACK YARD.

IT CANNOT BE DONE.

KESSEL WILL LEAD US TO THE PROMISED LAND AND IF YOU DARE TO SAY OTHERWISE, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A "TRUE" FAN...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sweet mother of ****. You can't make this **** up...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDeez91

Dec 19, 2014
North Bay, Ontario
The problem with the Leafs is that they are not a team at all. They are a group of individual players who play selfishly and do not give two ***** what anyone has to say about them. Do you think Kessel loses sleep at night when a reporter asks him if he thinks it's his fault Randy got fired? Hell no! Because he doesn't care. He's guaranteed to make $8,000,000 per year for the next 7 years regardless of whether he gives 110% or 50% (or regardless of whether he even plays hockey at all). Where's the incentive to play hockey? It's also no different for any of our core players.

Maybe Polak should meet Kessel at centre ice next practice for a little 5 knuckle pep talk. Then maybe his attitude will change.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
The media has no clue what goes on behind closed doors in that dressing room other than when they are allowed in after games and practices. They are not there in the room 2-3 hours before a game when the guys arrive. They don't know how the players get along.

They can speculate and that is what they are doing speculating and coming up with their own versions.

So enough of the medias BS. They have no clue what is going on behind closed doors unless there is a leak in the dressing room from staffers or management.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009

Based on observation, body language, reading between the lines, life experience that helps you to know how certain dynamics work, refusing to be duped, lied to, played, or to be a brainless, gullible tit.

But the those that keep insisting you simply cannot know in any way, shape or form what goes on between players.

IT IS BEYOND POSSIBILITY AND COMPREHENSION. IT WOULD BE ON THE SAME PLAIN OF DIFFICULTY AS BUILDING A NUCLEAR REACTOR IN YOUR BACK YARD.

IT CANNOT BE DONE.

KESSEL WILL LEAD US TO THE PROMISED LAND AND IF YOU DARE TO SAY OTHERWISE, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A "TRUE" FAN...

Blasphemy.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
The media has no clue what goes on behind closed doors in that dressing room other than when they are allowed in after games and practices. They are not there in the room 2-3 hours before a game when the guys arrive. They don't know how the players get along.

They can speculate and that is what they are doing speculating and coming up with their own versions.

So enough of the medias BS. They have no clue what is going on behind closed doors unless there is a leak in the dressing room from staffers or management.

Soo I guess that means we should discount the words of current and former players over the years then?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Soo I guess that means we should discount the words of current and former players over the years then?

i think some people on here just read QUOTES from players, but because it's presented in the media, they blame the evil media.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Couldn't be more wrong. The reason why this franchise won't be successful because it's best players aren't playing a whole 200 ft game. Kessel (one dimensional) Dion (soft as butter), JVR (one dimensional) Lupul(One dimensional) These 4 players are huge hinderances in the D-zone and a big reason why this team gives up so many shots and so many goals. If we had more players who played a hard game we'd be a lot more successful but if you can't get your best players to buy in to a 200 ft game and or commit themselves fully to the cause then the team is doomed. It's been doomed since we got these 2. It's why we have collapses every year.

Guys like Winnik, Santorelli, Polak, etc are support bottom line guys...if these guys are relied upon for us to be successful then we have been long gone for a long time. It doesn't matter if these guys are signed to 1 year deals or not, they aren't the problem. It's the guys with 7 and 8 year deals that are the problem, it doesn't matter how many "hockey guys" we sign or how long we sign them for. We have to get rid of the problems, and Kessel and Dion and others are the problem.

I'm sure he can be more wrong from your perspective. The 2 are awfully similar.

Swayze*

That's a direct quote from Polak who's in the dressing room obviously

wtf are you talking about?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Reminds me of when Gleason first came to the team last year. He started out blocking every shot he could, a week or two later he stopped. I'm sure he was thinking if they won't sacrifice, why should I?

It's hard to buy in, isn't it? this is why when there are different standards for some players it can tear a team apart. THis is where the Leafs are right now.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

This denial from the fans is getting out of hand. There's a **** ton of smoke .. something is on fire.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

IT CANNOT BE DONE.

Great post. We all pretty much read the same stuff, listen to the same interviews and see the same games. But we the fans come to very different conclusions on where this team is heading, what the problems are. Funny enough the ones who are proven wrong season after season always come back and claim that THIS season they are right and we who have made complaints towards the structure of the team, management and the top players and said this bunch will struggle to even make the playoffs are just negative and should find some other team to support.

I dont really know what it would take for some fans to wake up and realise how much the Burke era set us back, how much the investment in Kessel hurt the teams chances to be successful. That the group we now have is just a collection of talented individuals who together never can become a team because they simply dont have it in them to be one.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
TO much negativity on these forums, you all need some cheering up. Here is a panda cub.

panda-bear-1.jpg

He looks like a Coach the Leafs fired. Two black eyes and a sad look on his face:laugh:

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
If a change for the better is a result of this divide, I'm all for it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a divide in the locker room where one side is clearly defensive minded, and the other not.

Gives me a clear understanding of whom we should be keeping vs. whom we should be actively shopping and trading even at a discounted rate.

Hopefully it gives the Leafs management the same sense as it's a clear barometer whom is not committed to the culture of winning.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Management should send a sign to the players : strip NeonDion of the captaincy and give it to Roman Polák.

The sign is, we appreciate Roman for standing up for what's expected.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I do enjoy how defensemen who don't put up a lot of points get annointed as shutdown. His advanced defensive metrics don't put him in that position at all.

This coach has a way of lowering shots and that should help the entire team. What were his numbers say, second half last year to the first half this year if you could shoe that.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Well well...I was wondering when one of the newer guys spoke up!

Pretty much confirms what so many of us have seen on the ice, and assumed was going on.

After being called out, you'd expect Kessel to come out and take his anger out on the ice; guess he used it all up on Feschuk.

Reading some of the threads around here this morning, it's absolutely shocking how so many fans are so absolutely delusional about this team.

After another month of embarrassment and futility, maybe we'll start to see some real change.

But after reading the story this morning about what's going on in Carlyle's life outside of hockey, I'm convinced this whole organization is spineless and laughing all the way to the bank. Joke's on us fellow Leaf Nationites!

Last edited:

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

What does he say. Don't read your own personal bias into.

He said “Because it’s hard work,†Polak said before Wednesday’s 6-2 loss to Washington. “It’s always tough to do something you know you don’t like to do. I think we have lots of guys that just want to play offence.â€

So a player has an opinion on what the problem is with the Leafs but how does that make it a dressing room divided? Does Polak hate Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul, Bozak cause they think offence first? So Polak ignores them in the dressing room, the plane and hotel? So certain players sit only with certain players and they don't host Halloween parties where everyone shows up.

You hear the same comment from any player on any team when a team struggles no different on his team than others.

Don't let the media's CNN style headline on Sportsnet fool you into thinking something that it is not. They are just trying to suck you into reading their article and they were successful.

I can pull post game comments from every team that are similar to Polak and that doesn't mean there is a room divided.

Let's not be sheeple here people

Swayze*

What does he say. Don't read your own personal bias into.

He said “Because it’s hard work,†Polak said before Wednesday’s 6-2 loss to Washington. “It’s always tough to do something you know you don’t like to do. I think we have lots of guys that just want to play offence.â€

So a player has an opinion on what the problem is with the Leafs but how does that make it a dressing room divided? Does Polak hate Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul, Bozak cause they think offence first? So Polak ignores them in the dressing room, the plane and hotel? So certain players sit only with certain players and they don't host Halloween parties where everyone shows up.

You hear the same comment from any player on any team when a team struggles no different on his team than others.

Don't let the media's CNN style headline on Sportsnet fool you into thinking something that it is not. They are just trying to suck you into reading their article and they were successful.

I can pull post game comments from every team that are similar to Polak and that doesn't mean there is a room divided.

Let's not be sheeple here people
:facepalm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When you bring in half a roster to babysit the other half, this will happen.

They treated Carlyle like a substitute teacher and now they're pissing off the babysitters.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-need-to-bridge-divided-dressing-room/

I thought that was a pretty significant quote - especially coming from the guy who got a puck in the mouth and returned to set up a goal (not bad for a shutdown D).

To get the type of players who are willing to play both sides of the puck you either draft or trade.

If you draft that means we are 5 years maybe more away from even having a sniff at the playoffs

If you trade those high end scorers for other experienced players who play 2 way hockey you're probably going to get another teams headache. No one is trading a Datsyuk for a Kessel.

Reality is unless we get some really good luck this is going to be a LONG fix.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

yup, i totally remember that.

I mean people keep saying it: Bernier who came from LA keeps pointing it out. Winnik said that that the reason why the 'good teams' are the good teams is that they choose to do it every day, they're almost robotic and we need to get here. they tease Santorelli for being so dedicated to working out and practicing, Polak (who isn't perfect) lobs that grenade last night, today.

(shrug)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad