TSN: Maple Leafs interested in Matt Martin, the heavy hitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
I don't know if anyone posted this in the thread yet but Sportsnet reported that Matt Martin is Stamkos' best bud..... that's the reason the Leafs are even talking to this guy. Some food for thought. #Shanaplan

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I don't know if anyone posted this in the thread yet but Sportsnet reported that Matt Martin is Stamkos' best bud..... that's the reason the Leafs are even talking to this guy. Some food for thought. #Shanaplan

Unless they make a move very soon, they are running out of cap for all these moves.

Already 66mil, but really closer to 67 when you factor in Marner and Matthews higher ELC contracts.

Leaves us roughly 13.5mil.... Still have to re-sign at least Marincin and Carrick, even at 1mil.... leaving us 11.5.

So without some moves, I see it as impossible to sign both, and still PAP talks going on as well.....

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Riemsdyk - Stamkos - Brown
Nylander - Kadri - Komarov
Soshnikov - Matthews - Marner
Greening - Laich - Hyman
Leivo/Holland

Rielly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Marlie
Corrado

Andersen
Bernier

Bozak = Traded
Holland = 13th fwd/traded after camp
Lupul = Robidas
Leivo = 13th fwd
Leipsic = AHL
Rychel = AHL
Kapanen = AHL
Michalek = Traded

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec

I knew I should have worn my tinfoil hat today.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
http://www.tsn.ca/report-six-teams-interested-in-isles-f-martin-1.517370

There it is. We are really in there. Matt Martin is exactly what we need, a huge player who hits the most in the league. In the world really. He can also play the game and score some while at it. Would be the ideal 4th line player for years to come. We need size and being that shife team again. We would get our identity back in a heart beat. Get Matt Martin please.

You know what ? We are going to have an instant rivalry with Buffalo, and Montreal
again. Matt Martin, Soshnikov and Komarov vs Gallagher and Shaw. The East is going to be fun to watch.:popcorn:

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Unless they make a move very soon, they are running out of cap for all these moves.

Already 66mil, but really closer to 67 when you factor in Marner and Matthews higher ELC contracts.

Leaves us roughly 13.5mil.... Still have to re-sign at least Marincin and Carrick, even at 1mil.... leaving us 11.5.

So without some moves, I see it as impossible to sign both, and still PAP talks going on as well.....

Not to worry... Lou just called his guy who makes guys disappear about Lupul...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Giving a 4th liner more than 2 years of term is a terrible ideal, paying them more than 1.5 million is an even worse idea.

These guys are abilities every offseason. Fortunately I think the Leafs just got added to this rumour to be click bait.

I'd also echo the thought that when I hear a player described foremost as a "character guy" I immediately think they're terrible at hockey. Over valuing intangibles while ignoring skill leads teams to give guys like Bolland and Clarkson terrible contracts.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
This is the typical deal that the previous regime would make.

Bring in the mediocre 4th liner and try to sell it like he's a 3rd liner upside. We seem to get so caught up when players want to come here, that they're actually better than they've been their entire career.

He's never put up more than 20 points in his NHL career.

And now $3mill is reasonable?

No chance!

The absolute most I would go is $2mill a year and even that is pushing it.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Something has to give, with laich, lupul, Michalek on the roster, combined with leivo, hyman, and Leipsic either looking ready for the nhl or needing waivers to play in the ahl.... We really don't have the space to acquire anyone!

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Huge fan of Martin.

Also huge fan of the idea of rolling Leo and Martin back to back for some really intense forechecking minutes - an area Leafs are clearly interested in improving once the vets move out and are replaced with skill

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Appears to me not many people on this thread watched too many Isles games last year...... Screw the offense, the fourth line was the most important line for the Isles and delivered insane value and a driving force late into games, and they could be trusted.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
targeting toughness in guys like martin and okposo isnt a bad idea, goes well with our young talent

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
This is the typical deal that the previous regime would make.

Bring in the mediocre 4th liner and try to sell it like he's a 3rd liner upside. We seem to get so caught up when players want to come here, that they're actually better than they've been their entire career.

He's never put up more than 20 points in his NHL career.

And now $3mill is reasonable?

No chance!

The absolute most I would go is $2mill a year and even that is pushing it.

He's coming off a 2.4M contract. 2.8-3M seems about right. 4 years is one too long for me but he'll be 27-31 thru those years so it's not too bad.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Appears to me not many people on this thread watched too many Isles games last year...... Screw the offense, the fourth line was the most important line for the Isles and delivered insane value and a driving force late into games, and they could be trusted.

They were great, all 3 together as a unit on decent contracts.
The trouble is when you try to recreate that, with only one of the players at 3 times the cost, it often doesn't work. All of a sudden the salary tries to justify a 4th liner working into the 3rd line with a different style of players and you have problems. Not always but it happens to a lot of teams.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
After the stamkos situation where Lou did it again greatly, our first priority now is to get the biggest Matt Martin. The man brings the intimidation, presence, size and biggest hits to found on earth. He can also play the game and score some too while at it. We need SIZE. We are too small right now. Do it Lou.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
After the stamkos situation where Lou did it again greatly, our first priority now is to get the biggest Matt Martin. The man brings the intimidation, presence, size and biggest hits to found on earth. He can also play the game and score some too while at it. We need SIZE. We are too small right now. Do it Lou.

Now that Stamkos situation has concluded, Leafs can turn their attention to others and Martin seems to be on that list.

TSN insiders are reporting that Martin camp is looking for $3 mil per and at that price it would be too step a price for a 4th liner, so hopefully prices come down from today until tomorrow.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
Sosh is a stud who throws weight and has a snipe of a shot.

i like the way soshnikov plays as well, but id rather see him tone it down just a bit snipe some goals with that shot, rather then taking shots at guys and getting injured. That could be martins job, but I am with the majority here I think 2.25 is at 4 years would be as much as I would go

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sosh is a stud who throws weight and has a snipe of a shot.

Many players have made a great splash in the League during end of the year call ups. Doing it consistently over the whole season is the tough part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad