TSN: Maple Leafs interested in Matt Martin, the heavy hitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
http://www.tsn.ca/report-six-teams-interested-in-isles-f-martin-1.517370

There it is. We are really in there. Matt Martin is exactly what we need, a huge player who hits the most in the league. In the world really. He can also play the game and score some while at it. Would be the ideal 4th line player for years to come. We need size and being that shife team again. We would get our identity back in a heart beat. Get Matt Martin please.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.tsn.ca/report-six-teams-interested-in-isles-f-martin-1.517370

There it is. We are really in there. Matt Martin is exactly what we need, a huge player who hits the most in the league. In the world really. He can also play the game and score some while at it. Would be the ideal 4th line player for years to come. We need size and being that shife team again. We would get our identity back in a heart beat. Get Matt Martin please.

12 x 4 would be a laughable travesty.

I'd MAYBE do 2.25 for someone like Martin.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
If he wants 12m over 4 years that seems high for a 4th line guy. It definitely is exactly what we are lacking I just don't know how I feel about this deal in particular. Personally would rather pass on him but I may not be in the majority here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Unless you're moving out Greening, Laich and/or Michalek, there's no point.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He'd be a great addition, I'm glad the Leafs are inquiring ... Until they see what Martin is asking for a contract and then I'd assume they'd walk away laughing

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
12 x 4 would be a laughable travesty.

I'd MAYBE do 2.25 for someone like Martin.

That's only a 750,000 K difference though. There's probably not much difference from giving one player 2.25 and giving him 3. The difference is the value of some 4th line scrub.

Giving Matt Martin 3 million dollars shouldn't cripple or even hinder a team's cap situation. The length is what you should be worried about since these guys tend to lose effectiveness pretty early since their body breaks down.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
That's only a 750,000 K difference though. There's probably not much difference from giving one player 2.25 and giving him 3. The difference is the value of some 4th line scrub.

I would hope our management group would not have the same thought process. That's almost a million dollars in the difference I think its safe to assume Lou an company value a 750K difference in a contract.

If you had that same thought process on 3 different contracts you have just wasted 2.25m in cap space.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Leafs can overpay a guy like this to get something that their development system isn't currently producing while they will have so many players on ELCs and vets with deals expiring at the end of 2016-17.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
No harm in showing interest or inquiring, but he'll end up getting over $3M I think. We have plenty of bottom 6 options (Greening, Laich, Komarov, multiple Marlies, or cheaper UFAs).

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
At 2.5 or less I'd be down.

Otherwise we have enough players fighting for spots. No need to waste cap on positions we can fill internally.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I would hope our management group would not have the same thought process. That's almost a million dollars in the difference I think its safe to assume Lou an company value a 750K difference in a contract.

If you had that same thought process on 3 different contracts you have just wasted 2.25m in cap space.

If you love a player, you don't lose them over 750K. That's a very manageable difference to take care of.

I'm saying in THIS ONE situation it doesn't make a world of difference. If you take that approach to every situation then sure. It would get out of hand.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Been a huge fan of him for years. That being said, I expect him to get a stupid contract so no thanks.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I don't really see the point in spending money on this guy. We've got Hyman, Sosh, Leivo and a few others who come much cheaper and are probably better.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I'd sign him for a year and maybe two for as high as 2.75 per year. Seems like the type of guy every team would want on their roster come playoff time and should make for an automatic mid round pick (or more if paired with another role player) at the TDL. Eat 50% of his expiring deal and trade him with Hunwick and you are looking at atleast a 2nd rounder. Not the worst use of a roster spot for a year or two and he can help protect the young guys. Having said that, I am concerned with the surplus of veteran bottom 6 guys eating up roster spots already and preventing the young guys from getting in there.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Matt Martin is a terrible NHL player. A 4th liner at best. And not a great one.

This stinks like Lou, and the real brains must have totally lost their balls.

League minimum at most. But not even worth the contract spot.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Paying Matt Martin 3M a season is how you get into cap hell. Not paying Stamkos 10M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad