TSN: Maple Leafs interested in Matt Martin, the heavy hitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Lou said he intends to improve the teams toughness in ufa... wonder if he meant Martin.

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
Anyone who would pay Martin - a player who averages 14 points a season - anything in the realm of 4x4, is going to severely regret that.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
It has been proven that in a war having armed forces doesn't prevent another country from firing a rocket into your country. However, having a strong armed forces can prevent a full-scale invasion and subsequent killing, raping, pillaging, etc. You don't lay down your weapons and hope a 3rd party will intervene on your behalf.

:laugh: interesting analogy.

I'd say the headshot on Marc Savard was the hockey equivalent, no? Lucic was not only on the team, but he was on the ice at the time.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
The beat down usually happens months after the fact. We need team toughness. A little grit ala Rychel on each line goes a long way. They need to be good at hockey though.

Between Naz, Leo, and Rychel, I think the team has enough sandpaper to go around each line.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I don't think this is team toughness in the "beat up the other teams bullies" way but in an actually tangible offensive way. I could see Dubas being the one who wants Martin. If they design the offense around strong puck possession centers (Kadri, Matthews, maybe Nylander), it makes sense to get guys in the upper echelon of hits per game who can establish possession more often than other wingers who might be better finishers. Having a Komarov clone on every line would be a goal I could see management trying to reach.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Between Naz, Leo, and Rychel, I think the team has enough sandpaper to go around each line.

Which one of these guys would you prefer to get hurt for the rest of the year after having a go with Lucic or Wilson or ??? I hope they've moved on from Phaneuf keeping the peace.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I don't think this is team toughness in the "beat up the other teams bullies" way but in an actually tangible offensive way. I could see Dubas being the one who wants Martin. If they design the offense around strong puck possession centers (Kadri, Matthews, maybe Nylander), it makes sense to get guys in the upper echelon of hits per game who can establish possession more often than other wingers who might be better finishers. Having a Komarov clone on every line would be a goal I could see management trying to reach.

Agreed, I think if we want team toughness then it has be through the approach Dubas thinks of.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 14s15 seconds ago
DET and NYI both apparently out on Matt Martin. TOR believed to be one of the remaining teams still in the mix.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Detroit offered 4 years apparently and he still didnt take it so thats not ideal. Hope we're not offering him 3.5 x 4 or something like that

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 34s34 seconds ago
Oilers paid Lucic 42m for McDavid protection. @MapleLeafs willing to pay Martin 4 yrs 12m for Matthews protection? #SigningSeason

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
That's a terrible deal for a 4th liner.

They're in free agency every year - ZERO reason to give them term.

havnt seen any steals today everybody overpaid .........hawks might get valuable minutes out of Campbell ,Detroit paid a lot for neilson ,martin might get 2.5 he can skate well enuff and isn't going to get K OWD in fights ,,,gotta bring some tough buggers in to protect the kids ,

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Which one of these guys would you prefer to get hurt for the rest of the year after having a go with Lucic or Wilson or ??? I hope they've moved on from Phaneuf keeping the peace.

How many guys each year across the entire NHL get injured because a goon picked a fight with them? That era is over.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's a 4th liner, and should get 4th line money. $1.5 mil would be good, $2 mil barely acceptable, anything over that would be gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad