TSN: Maple Leafs interested in Matt Martin, the heavy hitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Would love Matt Martin, but as everyone here suggests the term and AAV would be too high.

Really, aside from Stamkos I am really only hoping for a couple money puck signings. No need to load up on term UFA's.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
We could really use a guy whos actually tough and can actually play but he's going to cost too much. Any cheaper alternatives out there?

Jared Boll from CBJ? Columbus is looking to dump salaries and is willing to retain, might be a cheap get and some protection for the skill players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We shouldn't be paying more than the league minimum for 4th line players.

You should be able to develop your own 4th liners and play them at their ELC contacts or cheap ones and not really need to go UFA spending to fill depth positions at above market prices.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
http://www.tsn.ca/report-six-teams-interested-in-isles-f-martin-1.517370

There it is. We are really in there. Matt Martin is exactly what we need, a huge player who hits the most in the league. In the world really. He can also play the game and score some while at it. Would be the ideal 4th line player for years to come. We need size and being that shife team again. We would get our identity back in a heart beat. Get Matt Martin please.

He can score some? I didn't realize that someone who has 88 points in 438 career games could "score some".

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Yea who would want a player like that around?

Calling those kind of players bad hockey players usually comes from people that don't understand the team concepts of hockey.

Lol, calling them good or useful players is from the Burke school of hockey.
I hope we are past that nonsense.
He is a bad player, period.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
We could really use a guy whos actually tough and can actually play but he's going to cost too much. Any cheaper alternatives out there?

It'd be a big mistake to give Martin term. Just like it was with "character guys" like Clarkson, Komisarek and Armstrong.

Personally I'd start with bringing back Clune to yo-yo between the Marlies and Leafs. Marlies also need sandpaper.

Then I think the bigger need for toughness is actually on D. We also doesn't have as much competition for spots on D. Having toughness in the D is a bigger issue and I believe in providing protection to the goalie.

We just traded away a D in Harrington for another winger in Rychel who will compete for minutes. Percy was also just not offered a contract.

We can sign one of Polak, Schenn, Holzer, Gryba to be the # 6/7 on a 1 year deal. They're all right handed and can kill penalties which is another area of concern. If injuries hit Loov would be the first call up. Even depth Dmen also always go for a premium every deadline and there's a good chance we're sellers again.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
He can score some? I didn't realize that someone who has 88 points in 438 career games could "score some".
That's pretty good for a white guy who's known as the best checker in the game. Tough guy and that's pretty good scoring and he truly has the nose for the net for certainly.

Also Martin ain't getting no 3 million dollards per season. He is not going to get that from anywhere y'all can stop that talk as we speak. He is getting 2million - 2,4 million from the maple leafs and some other teams will be paying that up too. Not more than that.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
We can sign one of Polak, Schenn, Holzer, Gryba to be the # 6/7 on a 1 year deal. They're all right handed and can kill penalties which is another area of concern. If injuries hit Loov would be the first call up. Even depth Dmen also always go for a premium every deadline and there's a good chance we're sellers again.

Currently we have Zaitsev, Carrick, and Corrado on the right side. How are any of players on you list better then any of what we have?
And on the left Reilly, Gardiner, Marincin and Hunwick.
If we sign someone, lets hope its an upgrade, like Demers.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
You should be able to develop your own 4th liners and play them at their ELC contacts or cheap ones and not really need to go UFA spending to fill depth positions at above market prices.

Or you only give them short term low cap hit deals like we did with Mike Brown or Mark Fraser who filled valuable roles well with us.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Currently we have Zaitsev, Carrick, and Corrado on the right side. How are any of players on you list better then any of what we have?
And on the left Reilly, Gardiner, Marincin and Hunwick.
If we sign someone, lets hope its an upgrade, like Demers.

Corrado + Hunwick are far too soft to fill those last 2 spots considering the rest of the makeup of the D and team.

The forward group is far more crowded.

ForSpareParts*

It is still hard to believe the Leafs have a wish list of ufa forwards when their stock pile is piled so high. I would kill to know their plan. I can't image where they find room for Martin when you have Michalek and Lupul with contracts.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Would really like to add this guy for at least a couple seasons. If we can get him on a 2x2 or even 3yearsx2 type of contract, sign me up :)

I don't know what the tipping point would be, but anything over 2M a year has me itching..

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
It is still hard to believe the Leafs have a wish list of ufa forwards when their stock pile is piled so high. I would kill to know their plan. I can't image where they find room for Martin when you have Michalek and Lupul with contracts.

This is where you hope Lou's long tenure in the league brings some benefits. May have some people out there willing to partake in a trade to help us bring down our cap. Or maybe some people owe him favors. :help:

Hopefully he doesn't free up cap just to give Martin 3/year though lol

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
http://www.tsn.ca/report-six-teams-interested-in-isles-f-martin-1.517370

There it is. We are really in there. Matt Martin is exactly what we need, a huge player who hits the most in the league. In the world really. He can also play the game and score some while at it. Would be the ideal 4th line player for years to come. We need size and being that shife team again. We would get our identity back in a heart beat. Get Matt Martin please.

We need to return to the glory of that 2013 first round exit.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
This is a non-story. ... i would think.
Lou Lam doesn't get into the Hall of Fame on this sort of mismanagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad