TSN: Maple Leafs interested in Matt Martin, the heavy hitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Pretty loyal

Hey I didn't say I would watch another team! In all honesty I can't see this being done at all though, I mean, why on earth would we revert to Burkonisism? If it's 1-1.5m sure let him go run around and smash some faces, who gives a crap. I like that type of hockey anyways just usually in other leagues.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
M.Martin is a great guy to go after.

He's the perfect possession-hitting monster. He hits and fights and he's great at possession. If you were going out to find a Orr or fighter-type, M.Martin is ten times the player Orr is.

I just read he is terrible @ possession?!

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I just read he is terrible @ possession?!

Wait what where'd you read that ??

With zone starts of 25%O and 35%D, he had a CA60Reltm of -8.6 (Best on the team), which basically means when he was on the ice, the team allowed fewer shots against.
Heck, even the year before he had a -9.7 CA60Reltm (Best on the team again). This doesn't mean he is a superstar :sarcasm:, but it means he outperformed his usage on the 4th line. I'd say he's an above average 4th line player. He reminds me of B.Boyle when he dominated the 4th lien. But when B.Boyle was put to the 3rd line, he didn't perform to the same level (to the level of a good 3rd liner). If he comes to Toronto, I expect him to be strictly on the 4th line.

He's an odd player for sure, but if the Leafs are interested in Martin that has to mean he's at least somewhat attractive possession-wise.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Wait what where'd you read that ??

With zone starts of 25%O and 35%D, he had a CA60Reltm of -8.6 (Best on the team), which basically means when he was on the ice, the team allowed fewer shots against.
Heck, even the year before he had a -9.7 CA60Reltm (Best on the team again). This doesn't mean he is a superstar :sarcasm:, but it means he outperformed his usage on the 4th line. I'd say he's an above average 4th line player. He reminds me of B.Boyle when he dominated the 4th lien. But when B.Boyle was put to the 3rd line, he didn't perform to the same level (to the level of a good 3rd liner). If he comes to Toronto, I expect him to be strictly on the 4th line.

He's an odd player for sure, but if the Leafs are interested in Martin that has to mean he's at least somewhat attractive possession-wise.
I know these are just unbelievable facts on this mother. Martin can act his ass off. He just puts it on the line everytime. And like many of our fans have been saying it like it really is: He is too expensive if the man comes at 3 million. He should be 2-2,9 million. That there should do it. He is just one of the best to do it like does and he makes THE TEAM BETTER like you greatly stated there. What a hitter and good player who knows how to pin the other team down hard.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Matt Martin + Komorov would be lovely!

Now i know people are opposed to this but i'd be open to signing Luke Schenn as a reclaimation project.. I'd like to see him at his leanest like when he first came into the league and bet he could be an effective bottom pair guy.

We'd lead the league in hitting for sure :)

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I think Martin would be a great addition at 3x3. He brings an element that we are lacking. Not looking for a face puncher. But more of a deterrent. His hits stats may be a little inflated but there's no denying he does finish his checks. 3x3 won't cripple us either. The young core guys are signed long term enough or on ELC. Gardiner should be the only one needing an extension in that time but I think Dermott will make him expendable. JVR would too but even though I would like to keep him he may price himself right out of TO. Laich, Greening, Lupul, Bernier and Michalek will all be off the books soon.

Martin will help to allow Marner, Nylander and Matthews the chance to perform and grow without the worry of being head hunted. We need some toughness and I don't like the idea of it coming on the back end where we would be adding a slow defender. Polak may be the only one I might consider because I think he has decent speed but he would have to come cheap and would be 6/7D.

As for not wanting to spend 3mil on a 4th liner, I think the Leafs will put the archaic 1st and 2nd scoring lines 3rd checking/shut down line and 4th crashers thoughts to rest. Roll 4 lines consistently with a good mixture of vets and rookies.

I say go for it. Sign him for no higher than 3x3.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
He doesn't help drive the play forward and he never has the puck.

I'd go $1.5 tops. We don't need 'toughness', what an overrated 'skill'.

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
He doesn't help drive the play forward and he never has the puck.

I'd go $1.5 tops. We don't need 'toughness', what an overrated 'skill'.

Not until Marner is lying face down on the ice because he got hit with a headshot by Steve Ott.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He's going to get overpaid and it will be a terrible contract in 2 years.

I expect him to sign with someone for 4 or 5 years at $4M+ per.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
He'd be awesome. 4x2.2-2.5
Trade Bozak

JVR - Nylander - Brown
Komarov - Matthews - Marner
Martin - Kadri - Soshnikov
Greening - Hyman - Laich
-Rychel/Kapanen/Gauthier/Leipsic

Rielly - X
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Carrick - Marincin
-Percy/Loov/Valiev/Dermott/Nielsen

Andersen
Bernier

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Not until Marner is lying face down on the ice because he got hit with a headshot by Steve Ott.

As has been proven many times, having a tough guy on the team has zero effect on an incident like that. Even if the goon is somehow on the ice with the star at the same time.

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
I would be happy with 3 x 3 a bit overpaid for a 4th liner but we need toughness and it's a lot less risky than a Lucic or Backes would be

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Martin is not a 3rd liner, please come on now.

Love him on the 4th but don't give him 3rd line minutes just so you can wet your whistle with Komarov on the other side (maybe a shift here and there but not a 3rd line permanent player).

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Steve Ott wouldn't ease up on a hit like that because we have some plug on the 4th line that would want to fight him

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
As has been proven many times, having a tough guy on the team has zero effect on an incident like that. Even if the goon is somehow on the ice with the star at the same time.

The beat down usually happens months after the fact. We need team toughness. A little grit ala Rychel on each line goes a long way. They need to be good at hockey though.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006

It has been proven that in a war having armed forces doesn't prevent another country from firing a rocket into your country. However, having a strong armed forces can prevent a full-scale invasion and subsequent killing, raping, pillaging, etc. You don't lay down your weapons and hope a 3rd party will intervene on your behalf.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Weise got a 2million dollar deal and he scored 26 points in just over 59 games for Montreal, however only 1 in 15 for Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad