TSN: Maple Leafs have offers for D Franson (prefer to re-sign him)

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Keep in mind he played ALL season with a hip injury, (so did Gunnarsson).

Gunnarsson had offseason surgery to fix the problem, which suggests it was probably fairly serious. As far as I know, Franson didn't.

The last 10-15 games or so of the 12-13 season plus the playoffs are pretty much the only time I thought Franson showed even average skating ability (for an NHLer). Before then and since, he's looked decidedly below average.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Replacing Franson with Granberg both saves us money and gives us an upgrade.

Use that saved money to bring in another better D-Man (perhaps Daley?).

Bump Gunnar down, buyout Gleason, and you have a better looking D at just a bit more (if not the same) amount of cap we used last season

Phaneuf - Daley
Gunnar - Rielly
Gardiner - Granberg (shelter a little bit)
Ranger/Whoever

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
FYI.. $3.5 mil = 1/2 of Dion's $7 mil. ;)

Isn't that what I was saying earlier?

I think in the open market, he's going to go for more.
I'm just saying, I don't his inherent value is actually 3.5 or higher.
There's value at $2.5 and it won't be a bad signing. With that said, I would prefer to give our kids a chance and trade Franson.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Why not just give a prospect a chance? Invest the money in a team need. Believe me the last thing this organization needs to be concerned about are 3rd pairing forwards/defenceman.

With Carlyle at the helm, prospects will never get a chance. Unless he has no other options.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
With Carlyle at the helm, prospects will never get a chance. Unless he has no other options.

I dont know where that comes from. Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, Lupul and Ryan all started their careers and got off to good starts under Carlyle´s supervision.

He relied on Gardiner a great deal towards the end of the season. Same with Rielly. Kadri have developed in to a 2nd lince 50 points center playing for Carlyle.

There is a lot one can complain about when it comes to Carlyle, how he handle young players is not one of them.

mikebel111*

I dont know where that comes from. Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, Lupul and Ryan all started their careers and got off to good starts under Carlyle´s supervision.

He relied on Gardiner a great deal towards the end of the season. Same with Rielly. Kadri have developed in to a 2nd lince 50 points center playing for Carlyle.

There is a lot one can complain about when it comes to Carlyle, how he handle young players is not one of them.

perfectly stated!

except the treatment of Ashton, Jerry, Holland which I don't like

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
perfectly stated!

Could just as well be a GM decision together with Carlyle that they better developed their game in the AHL last season. We will see next season how they do seeing as they clearly have out grown the AHL and should be in the NHL.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Most here forget players don't particularly like Carlyle and don't play well when he is coaching....

MONTREAL—There’ll be plenty of time to weigh the pros and cons of Randy Carlyle’s hiring as Maple Leafs coach.

When the Leafs played against the Ducks in November — this before Carlyle was made a coaching free agent after a Nov. 30 firing — Lupul made no bones about his distaste for the way Carlyle treated him in the wake of a back injury that cost Lupul the bulk of a year on the injured reserve.

Make no mistake: Left wingers or right wingers, centremen or defencemen, few if any of the athletes the Toronto dressing room were rejoicing at news that Carlyle will be behind Toronto’s bench when they face the Canadiens on Saturday night. When word broke that Brian Burke had flown here from a sports conference in Boston to deliver the news to Wilson, his old college pal, sources close to the team said the immediate and overwhelming hope of players was that Wilson’s successor would be Dallas Eakins, the current coach of the Toronto Marlies, the Leafs’ AHL farm team. Eakins, a former journeyman NHLer, has built a reputation as a skilled dressing room leader who demands much of his players while listening to their concerns.

The players’ second choice, the unscientific consensus seemed to suggest, was current Leafs assistant Scott Gordon who was previously head coach of the New York Islanders. A distant third choice was Carlyle, whose reputation for a not-so-sunny disposition promises to make Torontonians look back longingly on Wilson’s condescending detachment during his nearly four seasons with the Leafs.

What is a fan to make of that? So long as Carlyle can find a way to pull the Leafs out of an ongoing death spiral that has seen them lose 10 of their past 11 games, perhaps it means nothing. Carlyle has never been what’s commonly termed a players’ coach. But Carlyle, who reportedly signed a deal for the remainder of this season and three more, has had the ultimate success behind an NHL bench, winning a Stanley Cup with the Ducks in 2007, back when Burke was Anaheim GM.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ul_warred_with_new_leaf_coach_in_anaheim.html

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
perfectly stated!

Exactly. A "play off bubble team" and/or a rebuilding team as some would call it, and yet you don't give guys like Ashton, D'Amigo or a guy you traded for in Holland a legit shot. Why wouldn't you want to at least see what you have there? Oh because you're on a playoff run? Please. Man they frustrate me :)

HonestHockey*

Could just as well be a GM decision together with Carlyle that they better developed their game in the AHL last season. We will see next season how they do seeing as they clearly have out grown the AHL and should be in the NHL.

Based on what have they clearly outgrown the AHL? They clearly haven't proven they can play in the NHL.

HonestHockey*

Exactly. A "play off bubble team" and/or a rebuilding team as some would call it, and yet you don't give guys like Ashton, D'Amigo or a guy you traded for in Holland a legit shot. Why wouldn't you want to at least see what you have there? Oh because you're on a playoff run? Please. Man they frustrate me :)

They were all given legit shots and couldn't play at the NHL level

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Based on what have they clearly outgrown the AHL? They clearly haven't proven they can play in the NHL.

Out grown is perhaps the wrong word. They have at least proven they can play in the NHL, now they need they to show they can handle the 82 game grind at the NHL level. Jerry have 240 AHL games and 40 playoff games. Holland has 143 AHL games and 11 playoff games (and he averaged 1.27 PPG this year int he playoffs).

I think they are ready and dont have anything left to prove at the AHL level. To say that makes them guaranteed to become NHL players is perhaps a bit of a stretch but that is what I think they will become anyway. Personal opinion.

HonestHockey*

Out grown is perhaps the wrong word. They have at least proven they can play in the NHL, now they need they to show they can handle the 82 game grind at the NHL level. Jerry have 240 AHL games and 40 playoff games. Holland has 143 AHL games and 11 playoff games (and he averaged 1.27 PPG this year int he playoffs).

I think they are ready and dont have anything left to prove at the AHL level. To say that makes them guaranteed to become NHL players is perhaps a bit of a stretch but that is what I think they will become anyway. Personal opinion.

I respect that answer

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Troy Bodie was given the same opportunity and made the most of it. That's how a reward system works!

Bodie played more than 3 minutes. He often played with McClemment and Raymond.

For two or three games he was then tailed off. That happens a lot.

Holland had more points and goals when he played more than 10 minutes than when he didn't. when he played less than 10 minutes his play trailed off. (in both Anaheim AND Toronto before you say anything). so yes. when he was getting less minutes and also playing with Colton and Frazer (ergo - playing less than 5 minutes). his play would have tailed off.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Well, giving Holland, Ashton and Diamigo only five minutes of ice time per game, even when they were playing well was certainly perplexing.

It should have been pretty clear that our regular lineup wasn't getting the job done by the end of the season. No excuse as to why our youth shouldn't have been given more of a shot.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Franson just needs to be insulated with a mobile-ish DFD, Mark Fraser worked on bottom pair last year but they often lost to speed. Franson is Dion-lite. Remember when Franson was paired with Gunnarson during Dions injury? He looked great, thats because he fits with Carl so well much like Dion (but both would look better as a 2nd pairing).

Pair Franson with Rielly, Gardiner or even Paul Ranger and he becomes a liability because those 3 pinch and wheel too much.

You dont find many mobile DFD types but the leafs happen to have 2 in their system (Granberg/Percy) that would be perfect to pair with Cody.

I want to see this next year

Phaneuf/Gardiner
Rielly/Gunner
Franson/Granberg

1st PP Rielly/Franson
2nd PP Phaneuf/Gardiner

1st PK Phaneuf/Gunner
2nd PK Gardiner/Granberg

A shot and a true quarterback PMD on each PP pairing
Mobile D + DFD type on each PK pairing
ES pairings setup to allow Gardiner, Rielly to QB, insulated with DFDs

In an ideal world Phaneuf is moved for an elite DFD, a Marc Staal type.
Leafs future on the blueline lies with Gardiner and Rielly IMO. Franson is really just a shot for the 1st PP and needs to be paid as such or moved. Paul Ranger or perhaps even TJ Brennan can fill that role albeit not as as well...

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Troy Bodie was given the same opportunity and made the most of it. That's how a reward system works!

True but I think Bodie provided the team something they desperately needed. A pulse.
Actually I thought all the Marlies call-ups played well. Some generally do play well for 5-10 games though and tail off. Guess we'll see........maybe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad