Rumor: Mantha to EDM for RNH?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This would be reminiscent of the giveaway trade Holland gave Yzerman when he started at Tampa.

I really hope this is not true

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
The other guy also complained about his physicality, well despite being 6'5", Mantha doesn't play anything like a typical 6'5" guy, and he has compete issues to boot. Would love if he engaged every night, if he did we don't even think of trading him.

This may be recency bias on my end based on the last few weeks of the season, but I seem to recall a noticeable uptick in Mantha’s physical play and back checking this year, even when he hit cold streaks. Dude has had a couple borderline dirty hits and showed some snarl/fire this year. I kinda like that with our young guys. I’d never call AA or Larkin a powerforward, but they do throw more hits and scrap it up more than most similarly skilled players

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This may be recency bias on my end based on the last few weeks of the season, but I seem to recall a noticeable uptick in Mantha’s physical play and back checking this year, even when he hit cold streaks. Dude has had a couple borderline dirty hits and showed some snarl/fire this year. I kinda like that with our young guys. I’d never call AA or Larkin a power forward, but they do throw more hits and scrap it up more than most similarly skilled players

Mantha has always had a snarl to his game, when he wants to. Seems like it only comes if someone pisses him off, otherwise he doesn't play that way all the time. That is why I find the way he plays kind of odd. Someone gets in his kitchen and he has no trouble standing up for himself and teammates, that is frustrates quite a bit, that we don't see that Mantha all the time. Those games when he is fired up, he has shown the ability to drive the offensive side of his game as well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I’d never call AA or Larkin a powerforward, but they do throw more hits and scrap it up more than most similarly skilled players
Seems like they both bulked up quite a bit, especially AA. I'm pretty sure they're above their listed weight. Certainly like the way the youngsters are all trending in that regards, Mike Kadar is doing a good job.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Honestly, I'm not a fan of trading away a guy who is showing a clear upward trend. RNH is a good player, but why would we trade Mantha for him? That doesn't feel right to me. It feels like poor asset management. I'd rather keep Mantha, sign a 2C on 1 July, and go from there.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I mean, Mantha wasn't in cryogenic stasis during those years. He was still playing hockey (when not sidelined with season ending injury).

I get not wanting RNH but the 1.5 year age gap is not a compelling argument for me.

Big men often take longer to get going.

Those are hard miles on the NUGE's small frame.

RNH may very well be the better player but I would prefer to stick with Mantha and see how much better he can get

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I mean, Mantha wasn't in cryogenic stasis during those years. He was still playing hockey (when not sidelined with season ending injury).

I get not wanting RNH but the 1.5 year age gap is not a compelling argument for me.

I never mentioned age gap. I mentioned NHL wear & tear. QMJHL and AHL is not NHL.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
There's a reason RNH was a 1st overall pick, he's a much better hockey player than Mantha and would be a much bigger piece to this team getting better. Centers are much more valuable than wingers. I'm confident we can find a winger closer to Mantha through UFA, draft or trade than we could find a center close to RNH.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
There's a reason RNH was a 1st overall pick, he's a much better hockey player than Mantha and would be a much bigger piece to this team getting better. Centers are much more valuable than wingers. I'm confident we can find a winger closer to Mantha through UFA, draft or trade than we could find a center close to RNH.

So you’d be happy signing RNH next offseason for 7 years at around $9 million per?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Ah yes, back to the draft position matters 8 years into his mediocre career discussion.

Centers are more valuable than wingers....when they are actually centers. RNH is more winger than he is center. RNH isn’t a much better player than Mantha, and I question whether not he is even better at all at this point.

If you want a player who isn’t really a center and puts up hollow offensive statistics that are largely driven by the powerplay and being a passenger of his teammates, then RNH is your guy. The defense argument isn’t really going to work for you either, because it’s not like RNH is a shutdown guy, he’s an average defensive player.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Ah yes, back to the draft position matters 8 years into his mediocre career discussion.

Centers are more valuable than wingers....when they are actually centers. RNH is more winger than he is center. RNH isn’t a much better player than Mantha, and I question whether not he is even better at all at this point.

If you want a player who isn’t really a center and puts up hollow offensive statistics that are largely driven by the powerplay and being a passenger of his teammates, then RNH is your guy. The defense argument isn’t really going to work for you either, because it’s not like RNH is a shutdown guy, he’s an average defensive player.

Are we pretending Mantha isn't a passenger?

Out of curiosity, what are you basing your conclusions from? How often do have you watched RNH play? I'm no expert, but I've watched 75% of Oilers games the last 2 seasons for fantasy purposes.

RNH isn't a center, like Mantha isn't capable of scoring when he isn't playing with our best players. They're similar players in that respect.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Are we pretending Mantha isn't a passenger?

Are we pretending that the stats that Mantha puts up regarding possession, shot control, scoring chances, primary point production is equatable to the production of RNH? I put together a very detailed statistical look at the two players. Mantha is lightyears ahead of RNH offensively. It’s not close.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Are we pretending that the stats that Mantha puts up regarding possession, shot control, scoring chances, primary point production is equatable to the production of RNH? I put together a very detailed statistical look at the two players. Mantha is lightyears ahead of RNH offensively. It’s not close.

Mantha is very talented offensively, more so than RNH. But there's variables not being taken into account here, much like when wingingitinmotown went down the advanced stats rabbit hole to prove how great Brendan Smith was. I'm not going to try to convince you about RNH, I've seen both play a lot recently and I'll take everything RNH brings over Mantja's advanced stats that may or may not end up on the score sheet.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Mantha is very talented offensively, more so than RNH. But there's variables not being taken into account here, much like when wingingitinmotown went down the advanced stats rabbit hole to prove how great Brendan Smith was. I'm not going to try to convince you about RNH, I've seen both play a lot recently and I'll take everything RNH brings over Mantja's advanced stats that may or may not end up on the score sheet.

No, please tell me what RNH does “so much better” than Mantha besides for pointing at his output. There’s nothing that points to him being a plus defender, nothing that points to him being a plus offensive player, nothing that points to him being a plus center. You’re being baited into a player who will sign a long term $8M contract for a top six winger being classified as a center because he takes a lot of face offs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00