Rumor: Mantha to EDM for RNH?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So true. Just look how we magically got better at the end of the season when all of those old defensemen were out of the line up. The people who got called up were not necessarily better, but they could skate much better. That opened up everything for forwards and let us see more of what Blashill system looks like with modern, mobile defensemen.
That's well and good, but our defense was also putrid to start the year with no old guys in the line up.

Hronek went down, came back much better.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oiler fan here. I’ve been an Oiler STH for 31 years and I’ve never been a Nuge fan. He’s soft, has a muffin wrist shot, doesn’t have a slap shot, doesn’t hit, can’t win a face off, is a minus player every year, wears an ‘A’ yet shows no leadership. The only thing he’s lead us to is lottery picks. We’ve paid him around 36M already and for what?
Obviously I’d love for this trade to happen but for Red Wings fans I’d be very scared, run, don’t walk from this deal.

-45 on a mostly train wreck team his whole career is actually quite good. Many players will be minus when the team sucks, as the Oilers have all but maybe one of his seasons.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
-45 on a mostly train wreck team his whole career is actually quite good. Many players will be minus when the team sucks, as the Oilers have all but maybe one of his seasons.
He contributes to the ‘suck’, it seems +/- is your only argument? I pointed out a lot of things wrong with his game. Like I said, I’d do this trade no problem. Don’t think Yzerman would.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He contributes to the ‘suck’, it seems +/- is your only argument? I pointed out a lot of things wrong with his game. Like I said, I’d do this trade no problem. Don’t think Yzerman would.

It wasn't my argument, I was quoting another guy who complained about his minus. Maybe he contributed to the suck, but I doubt he was the main piece of why they suck. The Oilers suck because they have a lousy blueline and no forward depth. The team is McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH and a huge nosedive upfront. Hard to win, when you have 3 sucky lines and only 1 really good one, especially with that blueline and goaltending.

The other guy also complained about his physicality, well despite being 6'5", Mantha doesn't play anything like a typical 6'5" guy, and he has compete issues to boot. Would love if he engaged every night, if he did we don't even think of trading him. Also, I am not saying I would do this trade, as the money that RNH will want in just a few years isn't super enticing at the moment, I just think he is being crapped on a little much.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
It wasn't my argument, I was quoting another guy who complained about his minus. Maybe he contributed to the suck, but I doubt he was the main piece of why they suck. The Oilers suck because they have a lousy blueline and no forward depth. The team is McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH and a huge nosedive upfront. Hard to win, when you have 3 sucky lines and only 1 really good one, especially with that blueline and goaltending.

The other guy also complained about his physicality, well despite being 6'5", Mantha doesn't play anything like a typical 6'5" guy, and he has compete issues to boot. Would love if he engaged every night, if he did we don't even think of trading him. Also, I am not saying I would do this trade, as the money that RNH will want in just a few years isn't super enticing at the moment, I just think he is being crapped on a little much.
I’m not disagreeing with your opinion, but I base my opinion on Nuge’s career, not just last season. He had his best season ever point wise last year but I’ve watched his whole career. Why we traded Hall and Eberle and kept Nuge is a joke. Now we have no wingers and McD and Draisaitl. Draisaitl was intended to play center but because we have no wingers he was put with McD. The results have been great but Nuge can’t drive a line. He was our 1st line center before McD arrived and now he can’t even drive the 2nd line. As a 1st overall pick Nuge was gifted 1st line minutes and 1st line pp, he never broke 60 points, now we’re told he’s a ‘two-way player’. He doesn’t block shots or hit anyone, when I think of ‘two way players’ I think of guys like Bergeron and Wheeler, Nuge is not in this group. This year he owned the worst +\- among our forwards despite putting up the most points in his career. 6m for the next 2 years and rumoured to want 8m on his next contract... Yep, steer clear Detroit.

Reactions: firestarter

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’m not disagreeing with your opinion, but I base my opinion on Nuge’s career, not just last season. He had his best season ever point wise last year but I’ve watched his whole career. Why we traded Hall and Eberle and kept Nuge is a joke. Now we have no wingers and McD and Draisaitl. Draisaitl was intended to play center but because we have no wingers he was put with McD. The results have been great but Nuge can’t drive a line. He was our 1st line center before McD arrived and now he can’t even drive the 2nd line. As a 1st overall pick Nuge was gifted 1st line minutes and 1st line pp, he never broke 60 points, now we’re told he’s a ‘two-way player’. He doesn’t block shots or hit anyone, when I think of ‘two way players’ I think of guys like Bergeron and Wheeler, Nuge is not in this group. This year he owned the worst +\- among our forwards despite putting up the most points in his career. 6m for the next 2 years and rumoured to want 8m on his next contract... Yep, steer clear Detroit.

Thanks for your insight. I believe it’s my most recent post on this thread illustrates what you’re saying about Nuge as an offensive player. The only thing that’s significantly hard to substantiate is defensive play. I never remembered him being billed as a two way guy, and the few stats we can look at hardly instilled any confidence in him being a good defensive forward. That being said, he is probably better than Mantha defensively.

I could be terribly wrong, but I think Mantha is more valuable when you consider all factors.

Reactions: Messrules11

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Thanks for your insight. I believe it’s my most recent post on this thread illustrates what you’re saying about Nuge as an offensive player. The only thing that’s significantly hard to substantiate is defensive play. I never remembered him being billed as a two way guy, and the few stats we can look at hardly instilled any confidence in him being a good defensive forward. That being said, he is probably better than Mantha defensively.

I could be terribly wrong, but I think Mantha is more valuable when you consider all factors.
I know I’d rather have Mantha based on Oiler needs.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
It’s funny that you chimed in this evening. I found this article by The Hockey Writers while eating lunch at work today. Feels extra, extra relevant for this thread.

Do Oilers Fans Overvalue Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?
Haha, a good article indeed. I’ve had many heated debates on the Oilers board and the guy who wrote that article is bang on. Nuge always gets the free pass and there aren’t many who dare to criticize him. It’s maddening lol.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think this has any merit or can gain any real traction. Just seems like click bait to me on two new names/GMs. I'm just not real sure Yzerman trades a player outside of salary dumps this summer. I just think he'll give the team a real look till the deadline.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Mantha seems to get the benefit of the doubt more than any player in the league. He's turning 25 before next season and has a 48 point career high, but we constantly hear about his elite potential.

As far as I'm concerned he is what he is, a low-1, high-2 winger

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Mantha seems to get the benefit of the doubt more than any player in the league. He's turning 25 before next season and has a 48 point career high, but we constantly hear about his elite potential.

As far as I'm concerned, RNH is a mediocre second line "center". You can dislike Mantha, but considering the concept of the thread...there's more reason to be optimistic about Mantha's future than there is RNH.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

If there was no progression in his career, I would agree, but this year he scored that 25 goals and 48 points with 15 games missed. It is his best season and he continues to improve.

I don't mind RNH, but he's not a player worth losing Mantha for.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
If there was no progression in his career, I would agree, but this year he scored that 25 goals and 48 points with 15 games missed. It is his best season and he continues to improve.

I don't mind RNH, but he's not a player worth losing Mantha for.

Last year scoring was up league wide though, RNH himself scored 69. Will Mantha ever get 69?

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Last year scoring was up league wide though, RNH himself scored 69. Will Mantha ever get 69?
The amount of points is largely tied to the number of mailed in efforts, so I think the answer is yes he could put up 69 if he only takes 12 nights off.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The amount of points is largely tied to the number of mailed in efforts, so I think the answer is yes he could put up 69 if he only takes 12 nights off.

Yes, right now mailed in efforts is like 20-30 games a season.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

I'm guilty of giving our guys the benefit of a doubt. My issue with the trade is RNHs term. We can lock Mantha up and he's still under team control, RNH could bolt when he's up for UFA and we're left with nothing out of it.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

He played at a 59 point/82 game pace last season. No doubt in my mind he can get 69 points when the team isn't terrible with a terrible offense, terrible defensemen, and terrible power play.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00