Rumor: Mantha to EDM for RNH?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Think there are two spots. Vanek is gone and Ras will have to earn his.

If Veleno has a camp like he did last year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Detroit to start

For me it comes down to what @Ishad brings up, whether it's better for some of these guys to play in GR to hone skills they may not get the same opportunity to hone at the NHL, or if the NHL - albeit at lower minutes and possibly less taxing positions - would be better. I'm good with pretty much either direction they take.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I thought it would be Svech's to lose but then he got that exemption for his waiver eligibility and I could see any of them making it to be honest. If Svech has a strong camp he could still make it though. I also wouldnt be surprised to see Zadina make it though after the season he had

That injury just puts Svech behind such an eight ball with trying to make the club. I'm with you on not being surprised if Zadina makes it. I look at what the Wings could do with the roster and where they could send the kids to start the year, and I can understand the argument for a number of approaches. I just don't want to see september roll around and there being a hullabaloo about Zadina being in GR while Ehn, De la Rose, and Turgeon are filling out depth roles in Detroit.

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
There’s nothing to lose. It doesn’t make sense to keep Zadina, Rasmussen, and Veleno in Grand Rapids all year and not give them a serious look in the nhl. They are using a year on their entry level deal anyways. Why not give them a chance.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’m fairly sure Zadina starts the year out with the team regardless.

At this point I feel the same. We all know he's virtually guaranteed to play in the NHL at some point next year and officially burn his first year of his ELC. No reason not to let him take a step up and learn at the NHL level.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
There’s nothing to lose. It doesn’t make sense to keep Zadina, Rasmussen, and Veleno in Grand Rapids all year and not give them a serious look in the nhl. They are using a year on their entry level deal anyways. Why not give them a chance.
Same reason Rasmussen would've been better off in the AHL last season, I'd rather the player be in the best position to get big minutes and have a big role if they aren't ready for the show.

Reactions: Winger98

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I’m fairly sure Zadina starts the year out with the team regardless.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Helm
Hirose - Athanasiou - Zadina/Veleno/Rasmussen
Svechnikov - Glendening - Rasmussen/Ehn/DeLaRose

This is how I see it go if no forwards are signed from UFA or no trades.

Also, interesting situation would be, if one of Akader/Helm/Nielsen/Glendy is injured:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Hirose - Athanasiou - Svechnikov
Rasmussen - Veleno - Zadina
Akader / Nielsen / Glendy / Helm
(Ehn, De La Rose)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Based on what we have:
Bert- Lark- Mantha
Hirose-Nielson- AA
Svech-Glenny-Helm
Abby-Ehn- De La Rose

Although I feel like it is unlikely we don't sign any forwards. I think there is a big chance Ras/ Veleno/Zadina could start the year in GR and then whomever is playing best at the first injury gets the callup and never looks back. If we end up with a forward in the draft, I could even maybe see them getting a 9 game look and then one of the others coming up afterwards. I think a Ras/Veleno/Zadina line could dominate in the AHL and really help all 3 build offensive confidence. I don't want to see Ras and Veleno get a Flip treatment where they are basically stuck in a defensive role when they come up.

What I think we'll see is:

Bert- Lark- Mantha
Hirose- AA- UFA
Svech- Nielson- Helm
Abby-Glenny- Ehn/ DLR

With that said, it really depends on how the guys do in camp. If Ras/Zads/Veleno all have big summers strength wise I think you could see any of them on the team. The first two obviously have the leg up with them having played Pro hockey already but I wouldn't put it past Veleno after having a really strong camp last year.

Really excited to see how Cholo looks after a summer to train too. I think Hronek is a lock already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad