Proposal: Mantha for a top 10 pick

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
The only way I see Mantha getting a top 10 is if its a future 1st from a team thinking they're a playoff team and for whatever reason end up bottom 10.

Personally, I'd rather keep Mantha. Mainly because I have very little faith in Yzerman when it comes to 1st round picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I sure as hell don't see top 10 value, and I'm a guy who values actual players over picks more than most.

Mantha will be 26 in a couple of months. Enough of the " on pace for". At this point he has to have shown more than that. Injuries matter...you can't just ignore them and pretend that they don't. It's part of the recipe that makes for a valuable player.

At a younger age than him, Coyle had already had a 56 point season. He has similar physical skills but plays a more valuable position. No one was talking about him fetching a top 10 pick when he was traded. He got Donato and a late pick.

Yeah, let's analyze this...

Coyle: Career high 56 points in 82 games... In a season when Minnesota had 106 points and scored 266 goals as a team. On pace for 38 points the year he was traded.

Mantha: Career high 48 points in 67 games. Had 38 in 43 this season, on a team that was on pace for 44 points and 167 goals.

Yeah, they're definitely comparable in value. :laugh:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I sure as hell don't see top 10 value, and I'm a guy who values actual players over picks more than most.

Mantha will be 26 in a couple of months. Enough of the " on pace for". At this point he has to have shown more than that. Injuries matter...you can't just ignore them and pretend that they don't. It's part of the recipe that makes for a valuable player.

At a younger age than him, Coyle had already had a 56 point season. He has similar physical skills but plays a more valuable position. No one was talking about him fetching a top 10 pick when he was traded. He got Donato and a late pick.
Mantha has a lot of similarities to Kreider when he was the same age. Great tools, but inconsistent.
He’s consistently a very good player.......when he plays.

for me, it’s unfortunate that he gets hurt so much but at the same time at least it doesn’t seem to be anything chronic. If I’m the Wings I keep him. He’s a talented, goal scoring line driver. That’s a rare commodity from the wing. You don’t trade that for pennies on the dollar.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
lmao at everyone in this thread. Anthony Mantha is not worth what he was worth two years ago. He has two years of RFA control left and after that he can go UFA. I would barely give a late first round pick for him, let alone a top 10.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
lmao at everyone in this thread. Anthony Mantha is not worth what he was worth two years ago. He has two years of RFA control left and after that he can go UFA. I would barely give a late first round pick for him, let alone a top 10.

You shouldn't worry, MON is scared of having two or more guys on forward, 6'4 or taller anyhow. :neener:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
And you do realize that Mantha isn't getting signed to no 2 year deal right? Mantha will get a 5-6 year deal probably in the $6.5 million to $7.5 million per range if Yzerman feels generous. So everything you said here isn't even remotely in reality. Mantha is easily worth a #8-#10 pick.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
And you do realize that Mantha isn't getting signed to no 2 year deal right? Mantha will get a 5-6 year deal probably in the $6.5 million to $7.5 million per range if Yzerman feels generous. So everything you said here isn't even remotely in reality. Mantha is easily worth a #8-#10 pick.

Yikes. What if Mantha doesn't want to resign with a team that's probably gonna be a dumpster fire for at least 3 more years?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The only teams I could see give up a high pick for Mantha are the sabres (8th) and devils (arizona's pick - 10 or 11th).

Both those teams got loads of high picks in the past years, and both are looking to become a playoff team now.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yikes. What if Mantha doesn't want to resign with a team that's probably gonna be a dumpster fire for at least 3 more years?
Because he's already stated on he record during an interview, That he wants to play his entire career in Detroit. And he's seeking a long term deal and Yzerman said at his presser that both Bertuzzi and Mantha will be locked up this summer no worries.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
People are underestimating how good Mantha is.
Yes, there is some WHAT IFS. But Mantha is 100% a 30 goal, 60 pt guy minimum. This past season, he was almost a point per game. Yes, he’s injured a little more than I like but that is because he stands up for his teammates.

he is a top 5 power forward in the league.
He is, without a doubt, worth a top ten pick and maybe even plus a lesser draft pick or lower end B prospect.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
People are underestimating how good Mantha is.
Yes, there is some WHAT IFS. But Mantha is 100% a 30 goal, 60 pt guy minimum. This past season, he was almost a point per game. Yes, he’s injured a little more than I like but that is because he stands up for his teammates.

he is a top 5 power forward in the league.
He is, without a doubt, worth a top ten pick and maybe even plus a lesser draft pick or lower end B prospect.

Mantha is really good, but its dumb to say that a guy that has never hit 30 goals in a season or 60 points in a season is "100% a 30 goal, 60 pt guy minimum". And injuries aren't an excuse.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Mantha is really good, but its dumb to say that a guy that has never hit 30 goals in a season or 60 points in a season is "100% a 30 goal, 60 pt guy minimum". And injuries aren't an excuse.

I mean, his GPG pace has steadily improved year over year every year he's been in the league, and over his career is averaged at 27 goals... So no, it's not really dumb, and, yes, injuries are an excuse.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I mean, his GPG pace has steadily improved year over year every year he's been in the league, and over his career is averaged at 27 goals... So no, it's not really dumb, and, yes, injuries are an excuse.

1) 27<30. 27 goal rate is less than 30 goals at minimum. He's also never hit 50 points, let alone 60 minimum.
2) Injuries aren't an excuse when you're claiming totals. Some players get injured more than others. Some players can't seem to stay healthy. Just use the rate argument if you want to account for injuries, but lets not pretend that Mantha is definitely going to give you at least 30 goals and 60 points a year at minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad