Proposal: Mantha for a top 10 pick

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I respectfully disagree. He approaches the game as the physical presence of the team because he's the only one who can. If the Wings had a tough guy on the team still, it wouldn't be an issue. Hell, even Larkin is fighting on occasion. That shows you the lack of protection this team has. Give them a Tom Wilson or a Kyle Clifford and you would never see Mantha or Larkin fighting again.

Yeah, Toronto's best players didn't fight before they had Clifford. Ovechkin fought for the first time since 2010 with Wilson there.

Fighting is an insignificant part of the game and since goons have gone away, generally guys that fight are guys that get worked up and engage. Mantha fights (again, not much) and engages physically because that's who he is. I don't think the Mantha that doesn't engage much and leaves thing to other guys is nearly as good as the Mantha that makes his presence felt.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As a Ranger fan, I agree and I don’t like the sound of it.

not wont happen. It would be too perfect. What I love about Mantha is he’s one of the few pure snipers. A lot of goals where he’s beating goalies with his shot. No open nets just beating goalies.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
not wont happen. It would be too perfect. What I love about Mantha is he’s one of the few pure snipers. A lot of goals where he’s beating goalies with his shot. No open nets just beating goalies.

What would the NYI offer for him?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Mantha is a good player and a team that’s trades for him would be assured of getting at least a 2nd line winger. The problem is the team with the pick assumes they’re getting a franchise player (because scouts never make mistakes). Just the chance of drafting a star player trumps the known asset, especially since Mantha will never be a star player.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Mantha is a good player and a team that’s trades for him would be assured of getting at least a 2nd line winger. The problem is the team with the pick assumes they’re getting a franchise player (because scouts never make mistakes). Just the chance of drafting a star player trumps the known asset, especially since Mantha will never be a star player.

Never? Why?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Never? Why?

He’ll be 26 soon and he hasn’t been a PPG player. He’s in his prime at the moment and I just don’t see him getting significantly better. I don’t think he has 90 - 100 point potential which I consider star/elite status.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He’ll be 26 soon and he hasn’t been a PPG player. He’s in his prime at the moment and I just don’t see him getting significantly better. I don’t think he has 90 - 100 point potential which I consider star/elite status.
2020-2021 season

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
The 2020 Draft is deep. I can't see any team giving up their top 10 this year for Mantha. Maybe someone bites giving their 12-20th overall plus some other prospect.

Reactions: lilidk

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

He’s a smart one too. He knows how to separate and find dead space and considering his size, he sticks out like a sore thumb and it’s hard to lose track of him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i wouldn't

I would be on the fence about that as well. Imagine... Bergevin doing another Sergachev for Drouin type deal with Yzerman in Detroit this time.

I'm interested in Mantha but depends on what contract he would sign. 9th OA for Mantha straight up? Value seems fair to both sides but not so sure I would do it. Mantha with a new contract might complicate things for the Habs when we have to sign several guys in 21/22

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The 2020 Draft is deep. I can't see any team giving up their top 10 this year for Mantha. Maybe someone bites giving their 12-20th overall plus some other prospect.

It appears to be deep in the top 10 or 12. But it's not a fact. We are talking about evaluating 15-18 year old kids here. We have heard deep drafts before. Don't over value a draft dart. They have great value but I see too many people over valuing it. Picks 5-12 are likely more Domi and Mantha types at best.

But yeah, is Mantha worth a top 10 pick? I have my doubts. He had a decent start to the season last year though.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
so its not top 10 but I would give the Isles first + something. Something depends on where the Isles pick lands. Most likely in the 12-20 range. Obviously if it is past 20 the Wings dont consider it. The wings probably dont consider it past 15 either unless someone really slips.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Forget Mantha. No need.

Habs have to keep building on the young core they already built.

Add Laff or one of Perfetti, Rossi, Holtz, Sanderson to the current young future core of Suzuki, KK, Caufield, Romanov, Ylonen, Struble.
Laf and Caufield on the same line :oops:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not sure what the odds are of Nashville losing in the play-in round and having a top-10 pick that isn't #1. Probably miniscule. But if somehow we were picking #9/10 I'd definitely give that up for Mantha.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
As a sens fan, if we could trade back from 5 to around 9-10 I would probably do it. Need him locked up to term though.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
As a Habs fan, I would drive the 9th overall pick to the airport and buy its one way ticket to Detroit if it's all it took for Mantha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad