Manitoba Moose 2018-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
I heard Green might be out for the season with his concussion

Coach said today "Luke is making good strides in the right direction so hopefully we’re going to be see him playing some games before the end of the season but I’m not sure about that yet. First step is non-contact, being part of full practices and we’ll see how its going to go."

Reactions: Atoyot

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
Logan Stanley is such a stud. Not sure if he will be a regular with the Jets next year but 2020-21 at the very latest.

You can debate whether the trades and pick to acquire him were worth it but the fact is now we have a very good
LHD in the system. He and Poolman are the best players on the ice every time they are out there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Logan Stanley is such a stud. Not sure if he will be a regular with the Jets next year but 2020-21 at the very latest.

You can debate whether the trades and pick to acquire him were worth it but the fact is now we have a very good
LHD in the system. He and Poolman are the best players on the ice every time they are out there.
Thanks for the report on Stanley as I don't catch very many Moose games. I am going to my 1st Moose game of the season on the 17th and he will be one of the players I will be focusing on.

Reactions: Saintb

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the report on Stanley as I don't catch very many Moose games. I am going to my 1st Moose game of the season on the 17th and he will be one of the players I will be focusing on.

We will need a full scouting report please King.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Yes we don’t seem to be getting as much Moose reporting this year. I wonder for example if any of our centres are showing nhl potential? Stanley really intrigues me because the Jets org put themselves out there with that pick.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I'm still very bullish leery on Logan Stanley, not to mention many of the other Moose in terms of making it to the NHL:

jrKpQUE.png

This comes courtesy of a recent presentation done by Hayden Speak of prospect-stats.com at SeaHAC, titled "Making the Jump - How AHL Players Become NHL Players". Similar to Garret's research in that even your typical shutdown defenceman in the NHL generally dominated offensively in their younger leagues, the same could be true of AHL defenceman. A quick mental way of looking at it is that defenceman should have at least the following: be under 23; 0.1 G/GP; 0.25 A/GP; 1.5 Sh/GP; 15 eTOI/GP; 0.15 PP P/GP. While Stanley's eTOI is getting up there because of Niku's absence, he's about usually at half if not less of the other metrics (other than shots).

Of course, this is pretty restricted by the lack of stats available, but that isn't to say the stats we have now aren't capable of improving our projections.

For the record, here's the top probability of defenceman this season thus far, up to Sami Niku:
tjd7xpC.png

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'm still very bullish on Logan Stanley, not to mention many of the other Moose in terms of making it to the NHL:

jrKpQUE.png

This comes courtesy of a recent presentation done by Hayden Speak of prospect-stats.com at SeaHAC, titled "Making the Jump - How AHL Players Become NHL Players". Similar to Garret's research in that even your typical shutdown defenceman in the NHL generally dominated offensively in their younger leagues, the same could be true of AHL defenceman. A quick mental way of looking at it is that defenceman should have at least the following: be under 23; 0.1 G/GP; 0.25 A/GP; 1.5 Sh/GP; 15 eTOI/GP; 0.15 PP P/GP. While Stanley's eTOI is getting up there because of Niku's absence, he's about usually at half if not less of the other metrics (other than shots).

Of course, this is pretty restricted by the lack of stats available, but that isn't to say the stats we have now aren't capable of improving our projections.

For the record, here's the top probability of defenceman this season thus far, up to Sami Niku:
tjd7xpC.png
One thing that's striking to me here: what has Welinski done to be a full 48% ahead of Poolman? He's doing a bit better in the AHL but that's a huge discrepancy between two players that are pretty much the same age.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Berdin is on one hell of a run right now
Too bad he didn't get more games this year. I mentioned in summer he was ready to play at this level, many disagreed and said he wasn't good enough. The kid has talent, raw talent but there is something there that with coaching and seasoning you could see something promising going forward.

Reactions: JBM

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
Too bad he didn't get more games this year. I mentioned in summer he was ready to play at this level, many disagreed and said he wasn't good enough. The kid has talent, raw talent but there is something there that with coaching and seasoning you could see something promising going forward.

100% he was, and is, ready to start at the AHL level. However I think it was in his best interest and the best interest of the Jets, to have him be the guy down in Jacksonville and carry their team for the season. Unfortunately Ken Appleby turned out to be a total bust so they had to bring up Berdin ahead of schedule. So now he is the backup and not playing as much as he could.

I believe Comrie is still in the team's plans and may even be the backup for the Jets next season if Brossoit is moved (Trouba+Brossoit to DET for their first round pick???) so it made sense to let him continue in the starter's role for the Moose. This has been his best season as a pro, without question, so his development continues.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
100% he was, and is, ready to start at the AHL level. However I think it was in his best interest and the best interest of the Jets, to have him be the guy down in Jacksonville and carry their team for the season. Unfortunately Ken Appleby turned out to be a total bust so they had to bring up Berdin ahead of schedule. So now he is the backup and not playing as much as he could.

I believe Comrie is still in the team's plans and may even be the backup for the Jets next season if Brossoit is moved (Trouba+Brossoit to DET for their first round pick???) so it made sense to let him continue in the starter's role for the Moose. This has been his best season as a pro, without question, so his development continues.

Better be getting more than their first rounder for Trouba+LB

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'm still very bullish leery on Logan Stanley, not to mention many of the other Moose in terms of making it to the NHL:

jrKpQUE.png

tjd7xpC.png

This is what happens when you continually trade away you draft picks for rentals. Your window shrinks really fast.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Moose have moved to within 4 points of Texas for the final playoff spot, with 2 games in hand, taking 4 points this weekend against one of the teams between them.

Appleton with a goal and an apple, looking sharp. Spacek with the GWG. Impressed that the Moose could be this close with so many key players missing. No Dano, Harkins or Mc Kenzie on Sunday, on top of all those already missing.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Moose have moved to within 4 points of Texas for the final playoff spot, with 2 games in hand, taking 4 points this weekend against one of the teams between them.

Appleton with a goal and an apple, looking sharp. Spacek with the GWG. Impressed that the Moose could be this close with so many key players missing. No Dano, Harkins or Mc Kenzie on Sunday, on top of all those already missing.

They're getting Vesalainen so we'll see what that does for the team.

Reactions: voyageur

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is what happens when you continually trade away you draft picks for rentals. Your window shrinks really fast.

Well considering the first 1st round pick we traded away for a rental would be in his D+1 season I think you are few years ahead of yourself. This Moose team is currently still a full byproduct of the D&D model.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Well considering the first 1st round pick we traded away for a rental would be in his D+1 season I think you are few years ahead of yourself. This Moose team is currently still a full byproduct of the D&D model.

Agreed, although Sandin would be a huge addition to the Moose if he was playing for them right now.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agreed, although Sandin would be a huge addition to the Moose if he was playing for them right now.

I am trying not to beat ourselves up with "best case scenarios" out of traded picks. We could have hit a late 1st home run or we could have also Logan Stanley or Lucas Sutter'd it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffer

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Actually the current Moose team is a bit of a byproduct of Chevy's drafting as all our top prospects have now made the jump to the NHL and there is not much left to build an AHL team around.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Actually the current Moose team is a bit of a byproduct of Chevy's drafting as all our top prospects have now made the jump to the NHL and there is not much left to build an AHL team around.

I agree. Hitting on a bunch of players that actually make the NHL can gut an AHL team.

Reactions: GaryPoppins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad