Manitoba Moose 2018-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think size played a disproportionately big role in the selection of Stanley, but I think we are seeing that it's not his only positive attribute. He has good offensive instincts, passes well, and is relatively smart with the puck. By all accounts, he's got very good character and works very hard. I still don't think it was a good pick all things considered, but it's a bit simplistic now to say that he only has size as a positive attribute.

That's not what I said. And I didn't deny that he has assets other than his size or that he would make the NHL.

He has 1 fundamental weakness that he will either overcome or not make it in the NHL. Quickness. If he can develop that to an acceptable level his other attributes will carry him. If not, not.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's not what I said. And I didn't deny that he has assets other than his size or that he would make the NHL.

He has 1 fundamental weakness that he will either overcome or not make it in the NHL. Quickness. If he can develop that to an acceptable level his other attributes will carry him. If not, not.

Here is my challenge and why I am so desperate for Stanley to fix his quickness issue by improved skating or however the hell Chara does it??? As sure as it was that Lemieux was going to play on a Maurice “bottom six” It’s even a more sure thing that Logan Stanley is going to make the Maurice coached Jets. He fits Mo’s “idea” of a bottom pairing, rugged, PK’er, shut down D man that is tough to play against. It’s not a matter of if it’s a matter of when.

To be clear this doesn't paralyze me with fear like it use to. I think with allot of hard work on technique, footwork, and another 100 games in the AHL he may be a passable NHL D man.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here is my challenge and why I am so desperate for Stanley to fix his quickness issue by improved skating or however the hell Chara does it??? As sure as it was that Lemieux was going to play on a Maurice “bottom six” It’s even a more sure thing that Logan Stanley is going to make the Maurice coached Jets. He fits Mo’s idea of a bottom pairing, rugged, PK’er, shut down D man that is tough to play against. It’s not a matter of if it’s a matter of when.

To be clear this doesn't paralyze me with fear like it use to. I think with allot of hard work on technique, footwork, and another 100 games in the AHL he may be a passable NHL D man.

Chiarot is a pretty good skater and "a bottom pairing, rugged, PK’er, shut down D man that is tough to play against". Can you imagine him if he wasn't a good skater?

Pretty sure that Mau will give him a good chance - but if he is a weaker, slower skating Chiarot Mau will move on from him.

The good part is that if everything we hear about his attitude and work ethic is even close to the truth he will work very hard on his skating/foot speed. If his body has it in him to get good enough, he probably will.

I just hope they leave him in the AHL long enough. I think that means all of next year at least. Maybe get a call up the year after if he is doing well.

I'm not against Stanley. I hope he becomes a real asset. I just didn't like the process.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Chiarot is a pretty good skater and "a bottom pairing, rugged, PK’er, shut down D man that is tough to play against". Can you imagine him if he wasn't a good skater?

Pretty sure that Mau will give him a good chance - but if he is a weaker, slower skating Chiarot Mau will move on from him.

The good part is that if everything we hear about his attitude and work ethic is even close to the truth he will work very hard on his skating/foot speed. If his body has it in him to get good enough, he probably will.

I just hope they leave him in the AHL long enough. I think that means all of next year at least. Maybe get a call up the year after if he is doing well.

I'm not against Stanley. I hope he becomes a real asset. I just didn't like the process.

It’s a good point on Chia but so much of Ben’s success is owed to him playing with Buff that I am not worried about Stanley being able to fill either Ben or Morrow’s shoes. I think Logan already sees the ice better, passes way better, and has more natural skill than Chiarot. He does not move forward as well as Ben yet but I have always found Ben to be limited in his 4 way skating and gap control. When he plays with a guy like Morrow Ben’s faults get exposed. Chia is a more seasoned veteran now and I am really interested to see if we sign him to one more contract or let him walk? Someone else might want to pay more based on watching him play with Buff.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It’s a good point on Chia but so much of Ben’s success is owed to him playing with Buff that I am not worried about Stanley being able to fill either Ben or Morrow’s shoes. I think Logan already sees the ice better, passes way better, and has more natural skill than Chiarot. He does not move forward as well as Ben yet but I have always found Ben to be limited in his 4 way skating and gap control. When he plays with a guy like Morrow Ben’s faults get exposed. Chia is a more seasoned veteran now and I am really interested to see if we sign him to one more contract or let him walk? Someone else might want to pay more based on watching him play with Buff.

Well, if Stanley has those advantages over Chiarot and can learn to skate as well ( or hopefully even a little better in 4 way mobility) then we have a very good 3rd pair D man. I'd be happy with that.

I doubt Stanley ever scores much in the NHL, but he might do just a little better than Chiarot, who has improved over the years. But I won't care about that if his D play is solid. I think that will mostly depend on his skating/quickness/mobility, however you choose to frame it.

1 more year, waiting to be replaced by Stanley? He is a UFA and I suspect you are right, that some GM will overpay. If only for 1 year, that GM might be Chevy, but I expect someone will give him something like 3x2.5-3. I would rather that not be us. I wonder how far that organizational loyalty will stretch.

Reactions: ps241

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Comrie and the Moose are on a pretty nice run lately. Though likely too little too late this season.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Do you guys who are complaining about Stanley's "'quickness" watch a lot of Moose games? Quickness is not foot speed in Maurice's estimation. By Maurice's definition "quickness" does not seem to be an issue with Stanley.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you guys who are complaining about Stanley's "'quickness" watch a lot of Moose games? Quickness is not foot speed in Maurice's estimation. By Maurice's definition "quickness" does not seem to be an issue with Stanley.
Agreed. Mort have you watched him at all this year? He’s not slow. And he’s quicker than last year. Lets quit living two junior years ago.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Do you guys who are complaining about Stanley's "'quickness" watch a lot of Mo bose games? Quickness is not foot speed in Maurice's estimation. By Maurice's definition "quickness" does not seem to be an issue with Stanley.

I have seen enough Moose games this year. While he is quicker, his issue is with pivoting and transitioning from backwards to forwards or vis versa. He often times ends up loosing races to the puck on break ins and gets beat in races and board battles in his own end quite frequently due to not being quick from being stationary. With regards to Moes system, his gap is still problematic which will hamper him in our NZ system. Our system also revolves heavily on puck retrival and he is pretty sub par there right now. When he gets the puck on his stick he can make a good breakout out pass. He also boxes out the slot quite well and is sold at forcing plays to the outside. He also has a good shot from the point and gets it through.

He still needs a decent amount of work in his own end imo.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I have seen enough Moose games this year. While he is quicker, his issue is with pivoting and transitioning from backwards to forwards or vis versa. He often times ends up loosing races to the puck on break ins and gets beat in races and board battles in his own end quite frequently due to not being quick from being stationary. With regards to Moes system, his gap is still problematic which will hamper him in our NZ system. Our system also revolves heavily on puck retrival and he is pretty sub par there right now. When he gets the puck on his stick he can make a good breakout out pass. He also boxes out the slot quite well and is sold at forcing plays to the outside. He also has a good shot from the point and gets it through.

He still needs a decent amount of work in his own end imo.
The games I saw this was no issue. He could improve in all areas you mentioned but it didn’t affect him in games I saw. He needs to keep improving to get it to nhl standards but he doesn’t stick out like sore thumb like some think he’s just fine this year.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree.

The games I saw this was no issue. He could improve in all areas you mentioned but it didn’t affect him in games I saw. He needs to keep improving to get it to nhl standards but he doesn’t stick out like sore thumb like some think he’s just fine this year.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Moose-beat-Rampage-4-2-300x200.jpg

A look at the pre-game news, lineup, gameplay, notable facts and post-game audio from Eric Comrie, Tucker Poolman and Coach Vincent.

To read/listen click here.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Niku didn't play last night? Schilling did though.

Trying to read the tea leaves here. Maybe they just want Niku practicing and it's a sign that he's coming right back up on Sunday?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agreed. Mort have you watched him at all this year? He’s not slow. And he’s quicker than last year. Lets quit living two junior years ago.

Interesting you have watched him more than me this year so this is encouraging. I thought he looked better in my live viewing and it’s all about progress for Stanley, he just needs to keep improving this season and next. One advantage he has is the Moose aren’t great so Logan is getting lots of high quality ice time. I was trying to find out how many minutes he is getting per game but the AHL site doesn’t show it (or at least I couldn’t find it).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Comrie up to third noe in AHL save percentage. He's also played significantly more games then most of the other goalies in the top 5 to 10. He very well should be in the mix for goalie of the year at this point. No idea what that means for his future here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
To be honest, I expected Stanley to flounder considerably in his first pro season, dealing with faster and better players than in junior. I thinks it's quite encouraging that Stanley is holding his own with substantial minutes, and by all accounts continues to improve as the season progresses.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To be honest, I expected Stanley to flounder considerably in his first pro season, dealing with faster and better players than in junior. I thinks it's quite encouraging that Stanley is holding his own with substantial minutes, and by all accounts continues to improve as the season progresses.

While it's encouraging he is tracking about the same as Sam Morin (another big dmen) as a pro so far. Here is hoping he progresses more then him but he's not really showing amazing growth to date.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea I am with you. I thought he would struggle more than he has and so far he has exceeded my expectations but my expectations were pretty low.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Stanley has already scored more goals in half a season than Morin ever did in a full professional season.

While it's encouraging he is tracking about the same as Sam Morin (another big dmen) as a pro so far. Here is hoping he progresses more then him but he's not really showing amazing growth to date.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stanley has already scored more goals in half a season than Morin ever did in a full professional season.

Goals are only one part of it. He is tracking to score the same amount of points through their first pro seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad