Managerial Thread Part V - Tottenham in Tatters

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Laporta said he has respect for Koeman and yet referenced Xavi in the same interview yesterday. Koeman better win something more than the Copa this year if he wants to stick around.
With that squad I'd be happy with quarterfinals in CL, third place in La Liga and semifinals in the Copa.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
To his defense he didn't know Davies would play. Take out the Davies-effect and the game did end 1-0.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kicker is reporting some of the details of the Nagelsmann transfer. Apparently Bayern just needs to win two doubles in the next five years to trigger the 10M euro add-on payment.

Will be interesting to see how high his combined transfer fees end up being by the time he's done with football. He's already well on his way to being the first trainer to cost 50M in combined transfer fees & still just 34.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It’s quite insane how young he is. I wonder how he got this far this fast

Short version:
A perfect storm of ability, opportunity, and being heavily influenced by Pep & Tuchel (before Tuchel had gotten so conservative) as he made the jump to coaching.

Longer version:
Injury ending his playing career so early was probably the big turning point. He wasn't a superstar prospect or anything, but he was an extremely intelligent player and had some hype as a member of 1860 & Augsburg's academies before his knees gave out. That helped open the door for him to immediately get a job as a scout for Thomas Tuchel, while he worked on his coaching certificates...where he really flourished & built on his hype.

He's brilliant tactically and regulary tries the type of things that I lament other coaches not even attempting*...but arguably the biggest factor in his success has been his ability to connect with players and I think his youth helps with that; though he is also reportedly super-charismatic & personable, as well as having more in common with his players than most coaches.

*something that may also benefit from not having another decade of other coaches drilling their ideas (and limitations) into his head as a player

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Xavi would be dumb to take that job. At least right now.

I disagree. Now would be almost the perfect time. Messi is gone and the squad is very young (youngest of Europe's top clubs if I recall what I read a week or so back). On top of that the club hasn't been as successful the last couple of years and there doesn't seem to be much on the horizon either. Additionally, he's a product of the club and know it's very well while Laporta is the president so I would think he'd be given a fair shot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nagelsmann is his generation’s Guardiola. The individual improvements he can get out of players is only something you see from Pep. He’ll be the best coach in the world eventually.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Stefan Kuntz is expected to become the next Turkey national team manager

A little disappointing, he's been doing good work with our U21s, but happy for him to take the next step in his career. Will be interesting to see if he can revitalize them or if they've dug themselves too deep a hole.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Replacing Koeman with Martinez would be a step forward...but still very funny...

di Salvo is going to replace Kuntz with our u21s after 5 years as the u21 co-trainer.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Hopefully Martinez goes to Barcelona. Don't want him when Nuno gets sacked :laugh:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Replacing Koeman with Martinez would be a step forward...but still very funny...

di Salvo is going to replace Kuntz with our u21s after 5 years as the u21 co-trainer.
More like a side step tbh. I think Martinez is trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad