Managerial Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ivan Leko leaves Antwerp to take the Shanghai SIPG job; he will likely be replaced by former Belgium NT manager Marc Wilmots

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Sheffield Wednesday sack Tony Pulis.

Which is notable because he's only been there for 45 days. Jesus.
He was there for 10 matches and only had one win. Most of the blame still lies in the hands of ownership getting points deduced for breaking the rules.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Shanghai SIPG have appointed Ivan Leko as their new manager

Very promising coach who won the Belgian League with Club Brugge in his very first season as a manager of a big club. Only 6 months ago he was signed by Antwerp and won the Belgian Cup in his first game, also led them to the Europa League R32 in Antwerp's first European campaign in almost 20 years.

Sad to see him and his attractive playing style leave the Belgian League but he was honest about it, they offered him so much money he just couldn't refuse.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Shanghai SIPG have appointed Ivan Leko as their new manager

Very promising coach who won the Belgian League with Club Brugge in his very first season as a manager of a big club. Only 6 months ago he was signed by Antwerp and won the Belgian Cup in his first game, also led them to the Europa League R32 in Antwerp's first European campaign in almost 20 years.

Sad to see him and his attractive playing style leave the Belgian League but he was honest about it, they offered him so much money he just couldn't refuse.
He's 42. He can still go back to Europe one day.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Didn’t he have legal troubles in Belgium hence his move to UAE a few years back? Though he did return anyway to Antwerp. Funny enough he was linked with the Hajduk job but when that China offer was revealed there was no shot, even if he stayed at Antwerp going to Hajduk is a step down other than hometown pride

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Will be really interesting to see how Pochettino does at PSG. I guess I kind of struggle seeing him pushing them to a new level.

Alli and Eriksen to follow for PSG? :sarcasm:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Can't see PSG making a move for Lloris with Navas in goal. He's been incredible. This makes no sense for PSG.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Seems Bilic really was the problem for WBA :laugh:

And I guess Sam won't last if he keeps this "we need new players" mantra that cost Bilic his job.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dare I say there is going to be an opening in London very soon.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Wrong tread I guess, but I really can't see Lloris leaving Spurs. He seems to love it at the club (things can change of course).

Hopefully Pochettino won't start moaning about his role right away - we know how Leonardo reacts to those kind of things :laugh:

Good test for Pochettino. Even if I think he deserved to be sacked by Spurs I still want him to be successful. I guess in a way it will balance out my "hate" for PSG owners (I have nothing against PSG as a club in general). I will be surprised if he does especially well there, but I am hardly omniscient. Also kind of difficult to mess up PSG completely - unless you are unable to manage the "stars". Pochettino seems like a very likable man so at least in the beginning I cannot see that being an issue.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The thing with Pochettino is that he built a Southampton team based on them running more than anyone else. At his peak at Spurs that was probably also true (or at least close to true). The front 3 with Eriksen, Alli and Kane never stopped running. Eriksen back then covered a ridiculous amount of ground. Walker and Rose basically played against the oppostion's full backs when in possession and against their wingers when defending. Back in 16/17 our full backs almost played every other game because it was so demanding.

If he can get that PSG team to just run more than everyone else than obviously they will be extremely good.

If he has to outsmart managers tactically I just don't see it. Not that I think he is completely useless tactically, and if he can reach a CL final with Spurs he can obviously win it with PSG, but I would be surprised (not shocked) if he is a long term success at PSG.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

It was a bit like being back in the 90s playing the "big" teams under Pochettino. You never felt like winning away. Even if no-one is going to win a lot of those games away from home of course. Much better at home, but still off the mark against all other "big six" teams except Arsenal.

Worth mentioning a team like Liverpool weren't nearly as good as they are now in the beginning of Pochettino's reign. 8, 4 and 4th from 2015. Spurs ended up higher than Liverpool in all those seasons. Utd were hardly world class etc., but still when it came to playing them Pochettino just couldn't beat them.

pochettino.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad