Managerial Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Don't really get Bilic getting fired, but I guess there has been some turbulence there for some time?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah, timing seems kind of weird after pulling a point out of City and personally I think it's a bit of a cruel move to fire a manager who's just earned promotion, but I guess even before lockdown there was a stretch of losses that had them worried and the poor start to the season has reinforced that

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I think the firing had more to do with him publically criticizing the ownership for not investing over the transfer period. They even dragged out transfers like Krovinovic's which is just mind-boggling for a Premier League club. I'm actually amazed they have 7 points given what their squad looks like, they haven't improved the squad all that much coming up from Championship and if I'm being honest they punched above their weight there.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They lost Hegazi. And they are still very much in the fight for 17th. Based on yesterday the players work hard for Bilic. So I'm not sure what they exactly expect to achieve.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Apparently Big Sam is going to replace Bilic. Allardyce is a superb coach at bottom clubs to be fair. They have a legitimate shot of staying up with Sam Allardyce at the helm, even though Bilic isn't bad at all either. Their squad is one of the worst I have ever seen in the Premier League, but they can stay up. People forget the incredible things Allardyce has done, all because of his image.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Feel bad for Slaven. The West Brom board didn't back him and even sold Hegazi behind his back. It's not like they're already 15 points adrift, they're only 6 points behind Arsenal.

Let's see if Fat Sam still has any gas left in the tank. The biggest losers here are any West Brom players that actually want to play football, like Diangana and Pereira.

Reactions: AB13

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
They lost Hegazi. And they are still very much in the fight for 17th. Based on yesterday the players work hard for Bilic. So I'm not sure what they exactly expect to achieve.
Hegazi played only 16 games last season and Bilic made a big deal out of the transfer to Saudi Arabia calling him a key piece which he obviously wasn't as he lost his place in the starting XI last season. But that was Bilic's main gripe. Instead of strengthening the team, the owners decided to loan out a guy who provided depth just because he had high wages for the team. They didn't add a big-ticket player, most of the transfers were actually buying players that were there on loan last season etc. Meanwhile, look at what Leeds did. Fulham did more as well. Burnley is the only team to spend less if I'm not mistaken after they finished 10th last season. Sheffield spent 60 mil after finishing 9th last season.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Hegazi played only 16 games last season and Bilic made a big deal out of the transfer to Saudi Arabia calling him a key piece which he obviously wasn't as he lost his place in the starting XI last season. But that was Bilic's main gripe. Instead of strengthening the team, the owners decided to loan out a guy who provided depth just because he had high wages for the team. They didn't add a big-ticket player, most of the transfers were actually buying players that were there on loan last season etc. Meanwhile, look at what Leeds did. Fulham did more as well. Burnley is the only team to spend less if I'm not mistaken after they finished 10th last season. Sheffield spent 60 mil after finishing 9th last season.

That is fair. Probably looks like Hegazi is a bigger deal than he is in my post.

Something is odd there. So my guess this came more down to the working relationship between Bilic and the board/CEO whatever than what he has accomplished in terms of results.

There is no way anyone could expect WBA to be more than bottom 5 team at this point. And as long as the players fight like they did yesterday you always got a shot.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bilic firing seems harsh. I wonder if Arteta or Wilder will be the next to follow suit.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eberl telling Sport Bild that the standing BuLi record fee for a coach of 5M...set by BVB when they got Bosz from Ajax & matched by RBL when they drew Nagelsmann away from TSG...won't be enough to buy Rose out of his contract and that the odds of him staying with Gladbach in the summer are 99%.

Feels like posturing to me, but that 99% comment doesn't sound like Eberl usually does when he's working the fee for someone he's expecting-to/prepared-to let go. So maybe he's not just pressuring BVB to up their offer & Rose really isn't convinced by BVB.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Haha. Pochettino's dream job.

I'm guessing there is a clause so he can go to Europe if the right offer comes along?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah he had another interview yesterday in the german newspapers where he did what he does best : whine about the club.
I think the last time Leonardo made it clear he wouldn't tolerate another episode and he did all over again.
And today he was denying saying what he did.

Good riddance.

Reactions: BKIslandersFan

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
To me there are several possibilities :
- Pochettino : former player, free, nice football, but zero trophy for a club that's targeting winning every competition
- Allegri : Leo loves his italian coaches, guy overachieved with Juve in the CL but is boring to watch.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If Arsenal goes after Tuchel now I'll lose my mind
Can you see it coming?
I give it 2 to 3 weeks before he's signed.
He's not a bad coach, he has some very good pressing schemes.
But he has absolutely no offensive idea when his team is not playing counter attacking football.
He has more authority than Emery, but other than that, they're very similar.

And just like Arteta, don't invest into the players he wants. Kehrer, Gueye, Diallo, all were busts considering their prices. PSG has been very very good on the transfer market in their 10+ years, but most of the bad deals they made were for players Tuchel wanted. And he whined in the media until he got his useless toys.
And those toys were bought on the back of selling promising youngsters he didn't play (see Diaby and others).

Reactions: maclean

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also, this year's PSG, besides playing awful football, took 1 point out of 12 against OM, OL, Monaco and Lille.
They did have a crazy number of injuries, but this team has so much depth and academy quality that it serves as no excuse.
They have 4 losses so far in 17 games.
Under Blanc they had 3, 3 and 2 over a whole season. They had Ibra, but no Neymar or Mbappe.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure if Pochettino plays especially "nice football", but if that PSG squad buy into Pochettino´s style and play like Spurs did in 16/17 then they will be amazing.

I don't think he will be successful, but looking forward to see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->