Managerial Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd be fine with it but Pepe and Bellerin are 25 and Ceballos is 24. Not exactly veteran. I wouldn't sell Leno either just because we don't have a goalie in line yet. Hein could be there but isn't quite ready yet.

I know they are somewhat young, but what’s the point of paying them big wages through a rebuild when you can generate a significant profit on them? Will you want to hand over a 4-5 year deal to them when a rebuild would theoretically be over. A rebuild doesn’t fit with their timeline, in my opinion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would be fine with that, but I do think our veteran players can be very good under a good coach. A good manager fixes all of our on field issues and gets us 6th this season, and top 4 the season after, in my opinion. Southampton and Everton have much worse players than the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal but they are still doing much better/ just as good because of coaching. Average players can't fix bad coaching. Good coaching can fix average players.

Maybe 6th, but they are clearly behind the other big six teams and clubs like Everton and Leicester have gained on them. I don’t see it as sustainable to build around Auba, Laca, Partey, Pepe, Bellerin. Are they individually decent players? Maybe so, but they are only a start. You need to be able to spend on a proven good CB, a proven good attacker, a better goalie than Leno, maybe another central midfielder. That costs 150-200M. Arsenal does not have the funds to spend that. It’s way too risky of a strategy, given their current situation. Take the rebuild. There’s much higher upside with that.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I know they are somewhat young, but what’s the point of paying them big wages through a rebuild when you can generate a significant profit on them? Will you want to hand over a 4-5 year deal to them when a rebuild would theoretically be over. A rebuild doesn’t fit with their timeline, in my opinion.
Well we can't really generate profit on Pepe or Ceballos given that we paid a metric shit load for one and we don't own the other.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Everyone could see it coming....

I guess that Arsenal wants to be known as the place where PSG rejects end up. It will produce some nice fireworks since the Arsenal board are only used to having a gentleman like Wenger or yes men like Emery and Arteta.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well we can't really generate profit on Pepe or Ceballos given that we paid a metric shit load for one and we don't own the other.

Profit might've been the wrong word, but Arsenal can make some money for Pepe. I thought Ceballos had already been purchased. My mistake. Return him to Real Madrid then.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Maybe 6th, but they are clearly behind the other big six teams and clubs like Everton and Leicester have gained on them. I don’t see it as sustainable to build around Auba, Laca, Partey, Pepe, Bellerin. Are they individually decent players? Maybe so, but they are only a start. You need to be able to spend on a proven good CB, a proven good attacker, a better goalie than Leno, maybe another central midfielder. That costs 150-200M. Arsenal does not have the funds to spend that. It’s way too risky of a strategy, given their current situation. Take the rebuild. There’s much higher upside with that.

I think our squad is just as good as Spurs and United. Coaching the difference. I know you disagree, but most people just have very short term memories and don't remember what the players are capable of.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Would Tuchel want to go to Arsenal? Feels like he could land a much better gig, even if it means waiting a bit.
I don't get this post, Tuchel is as mediocre as Arsenal is, he would kill to be the manager of a club our size. Hopefully he isn't, but we have brain-deads at the top so I would consider him a prime candidate.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think our squad is just as good as Spurs and United. Coaching the difference. I know you disagree, but most people just have very short term memories and don't remember what the players are capable of.

Even if I accept your premise, I don't think Ole is any better of a coach than Arteta. In fact, I think he's worse. I think Arteta is more capable tactically than Ole having learned under Pep, and you sometimes see some interesting tactical wrinkles. Ole doesn't have that capability. And even Mourinho can be a disaster at times. I don't think Arsenal is operating at a huge coaching deficit compared to those two teams.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Any shot he goes back to BVB?

It makes sense, if he didn't have a huge falling out with the CEO. I can't see Tuchel and Watzke working together again. I think Dortmund will have the interim guy Terzic until the end of the season, and bring in a new manager in the offseason. I think Tuchel will be managing Germany after the Euros.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Even if I accept your premise, I don't think Ole is any better of a coach than Arteta. In fact, I think he's worse. I think Arteta is more capable tactically than Ole having learned under Pep, and you sometimes see some interesting tactical wrinkles. Ole doesn't have that capability. And even Mourinho can be a disaster at times. I don't think Arsenal is operating at a huge coaching deficit compared to those two teams.

Solskjaer is world class, tactically and in terms of man management. One of the best in the league. Amazing fluidity and movement in attack which is due to coaching, with a superb defensive shape. Every player United have has improved under him.

Arteta however, is doing a worse job than me or you would have done. The tactical problem is easy to see. This is a group of mostly CL level players who have been coached for over 2 years not attempt to play a killer pass through the middle, even in an amazing golden opportunity for a counter attack. Play it safe. Round the side. Force the cutback.
That is why we are where we are today

Not persisting with rigid positioning and set patterns of play on the ball is obviously a must too. Even if me or you came in and said ” just have fun lads” we would see much better results than with predictable cross and nod tactics based on strict positioning. Watch Arsenal and you will see that the players are not allowed to move out of position in Arteta’s system. If they do, to try and make a key run for example, Arteta instantly shouts at them to get back into position. Arteta doesn’t understand the simplest of footballing basics. I don’t think any group of players in the world would finish top 10 in the league under Arteta, he destroys every single attack with his approach. Players don’t matter at all in Arteta’s system, there is no room for individualism.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Arteta’s done nothing to prove he’s a better manager than Ole. I don’t think Ole is anything special, but he’s at least capable which can’t be said for Arteta.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Arteta’s done nothing to prove he’s a better manager than Ole. I don’t think Ole is anything special, but he’s at least capable which can’t be said for Arteta.

I'm not suggesting Arteta is good. I think Ole is bad. He has no business being the manager of Man United. He did nothing to earn the job other than being a good former player for the club. Arteta at least impressed as an assistant for arguably the best manager in the world.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not suggesting Arteta is good. I think Ole is bad. He has no business being the manager of Man United. He did nothing to earn the job other than being a good former player for the club. Arteta at least impressed as an assistant for arguably the best manager in the world.
I think Ole has a fine job, nothing special but decent enough. I think he’s pretty clearly the stop gap before the next manager takes us to the next level. He has his flaws but has done a decent job at helping the recruiting and improving the overall morale of the club.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Solskjaer is a mediocre coach and i am happy when he has these big runs because it keeps him on the job even when he will inevitably have a big losing streak. It prevented United from hiring someone actually competent like Pochettino and that is good.

Reactions: S E P H

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
He was supposed to only be an interim, but then went on a big winning streak and got the permanent gig.

Kinda hard to say he DIDN"T EARN it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was supposed to only be an interim, but then went on a big winning streak and got the permanent gig.

Kinda hard to say he DIDN"T EARN it.

How is that earning it? Isn’t winning a lot of games what’s expected? I don’t know why that would be something that earns an interim the job. They should all be doing that. I would think that regardless of how well the interim did in a short span that you’d want someone qualified for the job.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
How is that earning it? Isn’t winning a lot of games what’s expected? I don’t know why that would be something that earns an interim the job. They should all be doing that. I would think that regardless of how well the interim did in a short span that you’d want someone qualified for the job.
You don't get why manager winning games is qualification to get the job?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You don't get why manager winning games is qualification to get the job?

I'm talking about the interim job. Why did he get that? He got it because of his previous status as a player at the club. And generally, I don't think an unqualified interim having a good run of games over a pretty short span when all managers at the club are expected to have a good run of games over a pretty short span gets rid of that Ole was previously unqualified. If he did something great as an unqualified interim, maybe, but now United is stuck in the same position years later because Ole was never good enough to be a United coach. If he would've been the caliber of United manager, we should've seen it by now.

They lost out on the chance to sign Pochettino. Will they miss out on the chance to sign Allegri? The longer they wait the better the chance their main managerial targets will be signed by other teams. Does anyone think Ole is a long-term fit at United? They should've used the UCL failure to get rid of him a few weeks ago. Now he'll stay until the end of the season, and if he gets top 3rd/4th, he probably stays again another season. I think they are making an error by keeping him.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Raymond Domenech is the new Nantes manager until the end of the season, incredibly his first job since the 2010 World Cup :confused:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Actually it's his first club job in 27 years.

Everyone in France is laughing at Nantes right now, poor fellows. They already wanted their president out before the signing, no need to tell you how they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad