Managerial merry Go round part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Seriously? He won a group with Liverpool, CL runner up and Napoli.

What more could he have done?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Top notch in France for sure. In europe not so much considered how much money they can spend.

HIS results are top notch. He's been at PSG for 6 months, what they did in Europe prior doesn't matter in regards to him.

He's had one full CL campaign with Dortmund where they went out in the QF.

With PSG, they got through the group stage so far.

Not sure how you can say his results in europe aren't, it's not enough of a sample to say.

Reactions: Incubation

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
HIS results are top notch. He's been at PSG for 6 months, what they did in Europe prior doesn't matter in regards to him.

He's had one full CL campaign with Dortmund where they went out in the QF.

With PSG, they got through the group stage so far.

Not sure how you can say his results in europe aren't, it's not enough of a sample to say.

Yep my fault indeed.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah seriously. The only game they lost was against another top team, it was also a great game. Then they recouped the win in Paris.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
It happened to Eusebio Di Francesco at Sassuolo in 2013-14. Sacked on 28 January with the team 18th in Serie A. His replacement was the former Fiorentina and Parma coach Alberto Malesani, who inspired the ream to the bottom of the league. Di Francesco returned on 3 March, and led his players to a 17th place finish, avoiding relegation.

I reckon there will be other examples, and I'd guess mostly in Italy.

Reactions: les Habs

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
In fact, I've just realised that the very same season, in the very same league, Catania sacked Ronaldo Maran on 20 October, then on 16 January, with the change of manager having caused a drop from 17th to 20th, re-enter Maran. But on 7 April, with the team having failed to shift from the foot of the table, Maran received his second axing. After his departure, Catania rose to 18th, but that still meant relegation.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
In fact, I've just realised that the very same season, in the very same league, Catania sacked Ronaldo Maran on 20 October, then on 16 January, with the change of manager having caused a drop from 17th to 20th, re-enter Maran. But on 7 April, with the team having failed to shift from the foot of the table, Maran received his second axing. After his departure, Catania rose to 18th, but that still meant relegation.

Yeah, some Italian clubs cycle through managers incredibly quickly.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Yeah, some Italian clubs cycle through managers incredibly quickly.

There is a big difference between "exonerating" and "firing". When a coach is exonerated he continues to receive his salary. For this reason, when the substitute is either exonerated or fired, the owner decides to recall the previously exonerated coach. Zamparini in Palermo is the most classic example.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Breitenreiter sacked by Hannover after their heavy defeat at Dortmund. They are winless in 8 as well

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The news is a few days old now but Carlos Queiroz has left Iran to become manager of Colombia. The early favorite to take the Iran job is Bert van Marwijk who is also a candidate for the UAE job

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Scholes confirmed as Oldham manager in League 2. Currently 14th after being relegated last season.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think it would be jumping the gun to sign him now after so few games, but if this form keeps up for the whole rest of the season and they go far in the CL, sure, why not, worst case they just start sucking again next year :)
I’d be fine with it as long as we get a DoF to handle transfers.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm content letting the season play out. I don't want to take anything away from him, because he's been brilliant thus far. But he's got PSG 2x, Liverpool, Chelsea 2x, City, Arsenal left to go over 10 weeks. Let's see how that plays out.

It's a big test for a younger/less experienced manager. We need to see how he adjusts tactically, how he rotates the squad for big games, how he handles a loss or two in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad