Management Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
lol at the analogy. canucks management is just like 9/11 and covid19.

jenniferlawrenceok.gif

That's not what I was saying. My analogy was that if someone points out bad circumstances, it doesn't necessarily make them negative. You can replace 9/11 or COVID-19 with any other bad circumstance.

It's an analogy. You'd have to be pretty dumb to take an analogy literally.
I'm saying that people aren't negative/cynical because they point out the circumstances they find themselves in. If someone is in a somber mood when discussing 9/11, it's not because they're a negative person.

I'm not comparing our management to 9/11. The takeaway is that pointing out bad circumstances doesn't make a person negative, it's just calling a spade a spade.

Reactions: Jyrki21

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
That's not what I was saying. My analogy was that if someone points out bad circumstances, it doesn't necessarily make them negative. You can replace 9/11 or COVID-19 with any other bad circumstance.

you chose the comparison, not me. in making it you are asserting the situations are comparable, as opposed to another situation where the "bad circumstances" might be less clear than the ridiculous examples you chose.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
you chose the comparison, not me. in making it you are asserting the situations are comparable, as opposed to another situation where the "bad circumstances" might be less clear than the ridiculous examples you chose.

You're missing the point of the analogy though.
The comparison is that pointing to bad circumstances doesn't necessarily make a person negative. As seen within the context of the rest of my post, it's easy to understand that was the point being made. The bad circumstances themselves aren't the point of the analogy.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
anyway, things are at a remarkable fever pitch in here even for the management thread. i had better leave.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Eddie Lack did more than clean Miller's jockstrap that one season as well.

(oops, I hear Bovinder coming!)

Ahhh the sweet smell of a good ol’ jockstrap. :-p

Who knew that my goofy failed business would come in handy during Covid19 #FaceMasks. :-p

In all seriousness though and getting back on topic, I think Eddie Lack’s season here is a perfect example of just how difficult it is mindset wise to go make the climb from being a back into a starter.

Lots of goalies look good as back-ups, but many simply do not make the ascension to bonafide starter.

Demko looked good all season as a back-up, but we saw how shaky he looked during those first few games when Markstrom went down (although to Demko’s credit he really looked like he was starting to settle in before the Covid situation).

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Ahhh the sweet smell of a good ol’ jockstrap. :-p

Who knew that my goofy failed business would come in handy during Covid19 #FaceMasks. :-p

In all seriousness though and getting back on topic, I think Eddie Lack’s season here is a perfect example of just how difficult it is mindset wise to go make the climb from being a back into a starter.

Lots of goalies look good as back-ups, but many simply do not make the ascension to bonafide starter.

Demko looked good all season as a back-up, but we saw how shaky he looked during those first few games when Markstrom went down (although to Demko’s credit he really looked like he was starting to settle in before the Covid situation).

In Läcks case it appears it was his hip rather than his mindset that prevented him from becoming a starter.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
We have a GM that was ready to give Milan Lucic more than that and eventually gave Loui Eriksson 36 mil so yes, I believe it.

It is a bit comical that if it were solely up to Benning, a GM trying his hardest to make the playoffs, our window to compete would have taken way longer than a GM who is just doing the status quo rebuild (Buffalo being the only exception).

Our roster over the last 5 years or so would have consisted of players like Bolland, Lucic, Eriksson, Gudbranson, Larsen, Subban, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Gagner/Spooner, Granlund, Barkowski, Hanifin, etc. Without players like Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, Boeser, Tanev, etc. if these rumours are to be believed. That would rival Mike Milbury as the worst GM of all time.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We have a GM that was ready to give Milan Lucic more than that and eventually gave Loui Eriksson 36 mil so yes, I believe it.
A preview of things to come:

1) Unload a declining player (Jason Garrison) to free up cap space. VERY solid move by Benning (AND he gets a tangible asset in return [draft pick] WITHOUT taking garbage player in return
2) Proceeds to hand much of that free'd up cap space to a WORSE player IN EVERY WAY [Sbisa] in his contract extension.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

1) Unload a declining player (Jason Garrison) to free up cap space. VERY solid move by Benning (AND he gets a tangible asset in return [draft pick] WITHOUT taking garbage player in return
2) Proceeds to hand much of that free'd up cap space to a WORSE player IN EVERY WAY [Sbisa] in his contract extension.
One step forward; two steps back.

Reactions: Hit the post

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
That Benning tried to outbid FLA for Dave Bolland is just... lol. It just doesn't stop. :laugh:

My favourite part of all this is not just how utterly incompetent our GM is, but how arrogant he is too considering he's a complete imbecile.
Yea thats what really surprised me, the arrogance. Not just him, but Linden too! Still remember that townhall where I lost a lot of respect for TL for how he talked down to the fans.
But Linden has always been known as a nice, down to earth, humble kind of guy. Benning has the look of a very nice and humble guy too! How they acted and behaved after taking managerial positions here is a huge shock to me.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That Benning tried to outbid FLA for Dave Bolland is just... lol. It just doesn't stop. :laugh:

My favourite part of all this is not just how utterly incompetent our GM is, but how arrogant he is too considering he's a complete imbecile.

Weird, when I googled Jim Benning, this is what came up:

Z_p84u.gif

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

3) Trades the tangible asset he got for Garrison for Linden Vey.

Yeah, this was not the start of something good.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning reiterated it again in today's presser, that he's still hoping to acquire 'additional picks' in the upcoming draft.

This isn't the first time he's hinted at the possibility of trading for draft picks in 2020. For the life of me, I can't think of a single asset he could afford to part with that would bring back any additional picks.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I believe he said recoup the 2nd specifically....

Who the f is going to return a 2nd that we dont desperately need to keep?!

And as mentioned when has he ever made any trades like this ever?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Benning reiterated it again in today's presser, that he's still hoping to acquire 'additional picks' in the upcoming draft.

This isn't the first time he's hinted at the possibility of trading for draft picks in 2020. For the life of me, I can't think of a single asset he could afford to part with that would bring back any additional picks.
He could trade a 2nd for a 3rd & 4th.

I think that would be a additional pick.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

The rights to Tanev, Markstrom or Toffoli? Demko might get use something. I sincerely hope he doesn't trade Virtanen after he finally looks like he's coming along.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

oh hey it’s his annual thing where he tries to make “hockey trades” at the deadline when those assets cost the most, and tries to acquire picks heading into the draft when those assets cost the most.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The rights to Tanev, Markstrom or Toffoli? Demko might get use something. I sincerely hope he doesn't trade Virtanen after he finally looks like he's coming along.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Benning will do whatever he can to resign Toffoli and keep Boeser for the long haul. As a result, our right wing depth would be set for quite some time.........which would make Podkolzin expendable.

Meanwhile, the Canucks don’t have ANYONE in their system that can do what Edler does (ie an all situation top pairing dman).

Having Tryamkin here would be nice, and signing Edmundson would also be great (we let Tanev walk in that case), but none of those guys are top pairing dmen. At this point in his career, Tanev shouldn’t be on your top pairing either.

Hence - I wouldn’t be surprised if Benning made a blockbuster where Podkolzin and Virtanen were packaged for a blue chip prospect “Edler replacement,” or someone of that calibre.

I don’t know if Bowen Byram fits the above description, but Benning has also been known to love players that have roots to Vancouver. Him and Sakic have also been in talks with one another before for an unrelated deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad