Management Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Benning will do whatever he can to resign Toffoli and keep Boeser for the long haul. As a result, our right wing depth would be set for quite some time.........which would make Podkolzin expendable.

Meanwhile, the Canucks don’t have ANYONE in their system that can do what Edler does (ie an all situation top pairing dman).

Having Tryamkin here would be nice, and signing Edmundson would also be great (we let Tanev walk in that case), but none of those guys are top pairing dmen. At this point in his career, Tanev shouldn’t be on your top pairing either.

Hence - I wouldn’t be surprised if Benning made a blockbuster where Podkolzin and Virtanen were packaged for a blue chip prospect “Edler replacement,” or someone of that calibre.

I don’t know if Bowen Byram fits the above description, but Benning has also been known to love players that have roots to Vancouver. Him and Sakic have also been in talks with one another before for an unrelated deal.
Interesting idea. I can definitely see Jake traded for a pick or two. It would be mistake to trade Pods though. He’s going to be an ELC top six guy. Although, with Benning’s past record he will likely trade Pods as sweetener to dump one of his many horrific contracts.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Interesting idea. I can definitely see Jake traded for a pick or two. It would be mistake to trade Pods though. He’s going to be an ELC top six guy. Although, with Benning’s past record he will likely trade Pods as sweetener to dump one of his many horrific contracts.

I would love to keep Podkolzin, but we’d be unnecessarily stacked on RW with both Toffoli and Boeser there (assuming that we went this route), while still not having a viable Edler replacement within our system.

I love Podkolzin as well, but you have to give something of value to receive something of value.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would love to keep Podkolzin, but we’d be unnecessarily stacked on RW with both Toffoli and Boeser there (assuming that we went this route), while still not having a viable Edler replacement within our system.

I love Podkolzin as well, but you have to give something of value to receive something of value.

There’s a cap, so Pods will be in our top six. No chance we sign Tofoli. Until Benning/Wisebrod stop signing old guys to terrible contracts, we will be losing better players (in the primes of their careers) like Tofoli, and Jake because we can’t afford to keep them.
Erickson, Sutter, Beagle are forcing us to lose Tofoli and Tanev.
It’s unbelievable how Benning/Wisebrod got themselves into this terrible cap situation.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
oh hey it’s his annual thing where he tries to make “hockey trades” at the deadline when those assets cost the most, and tries to acquire picks heading into the draft when those assets cost the most.

You can almost set your watch to it.

I expect they'll probably try to trade a young, cheap, productive asset like Virtanen or Gaudette for a 2nd rounder and then give Toffoli $5-6 million.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
There’s a cap, so Pods will be in our top six. No chance we sign Tofoli. Until Benning/Wisebrod stop signing old guys to terrible contracts, we will be losing better players (in the primes of their careers) like Tofoli, and Jake because we can’t afford to keep them.
Erickson, Sutter, Beagle are forcing us to lose Tofoli and Tanev.
It’s unbelievable how Benning/Wisebrod got themselves into this terrible cap situation.

Actually, there is a very good chance we keep him. If there's no compliance buyout and we can't dump Eriksson for anything worth swallowing, it'll be one of Tanev, Toffoli or Markstrom walking. I very much doubt it's Toffoli, especially when Benning paid a decent price to acquire him. We won't lose two of those players though. So it becomes a toss up between Tanev or Markstrom.

What's really hilarious is we can almost keep all three even with Eriksson if we're able to trade Baertschi or Sutter and bought out both Roussel and Beagle.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
oh hey it’s his annual thing where he tries to make “hockey trades” at the deadline when those assets cost the most, and tries to acquire picks heading into the draft when those assets cost the most.
How many times he said he wanted more picks since 2015? Eight. How many times he actually got more picks? Three, Hansen trade and a 2 draft day trades with 5th/6th rounders.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
How many times he said he wanted more picks since 2015? Eight. How many times he actually got more picks? Three, Hansen trade and a 2 draft day trades with 5th/6th rounders.

Benning: Something something trades are hard something something

Next day: a million trades happen.

What year was that? 2017?

Reactions: Jyrki21 and rypper

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
You can almost set your watch to it.

I expect they'll probably try to trade a young, cheap, productive asset like Virtanen or Gaudette for a 2nd rounder and then give Toffoli $5-6 million.

You would be opposed to signing Tyler Toffoli for 5 or 6 million?

As far as the cap goes, I think the Canucks might need to move on from both Markstrom and Tanev while replacing them with Demko and Tryamkin.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think he specifically said that draft picks weren't being moved and then a comically large amount of draft picks were moved.

I also really enjoyed him saying no one was offering him any pick for Vanek at the deadline, which really just meant that he wasn't asking for a pick as mid round picks were FLYING off the shelves for #8/9/10 NHL defenders and 13th forwards like they do every single year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You would be opposed to signing Tyler Toffoli for 5 or 6 million?

As far as the cap goes, I think the Canucks might need to move on from both Markstrom and Tanev while replacing them with Demko and Tryamkin.

Absolutely I'm opposed to a huge contract for Tyler Toffoli.

The guy is a 45 point player. You don't win by giving $5 million + retirement UFA contracts to middling players like this. You win by developing high-value assets internally and having them out-produce their contracts.

Shift Adam Gaudette to wing and he'll produce the same 45 points that Toffoli does for $1 million.

Plus Toffoli is 28 and the last couple years of a 4-5 year contract are almost guaranteed to be a liability.

Signing a redundant asset like Toffoli to a huge UFA contract and then letting far more important players like Markstrom and Tanev walk is the height of terrible management.

Replace Markstrom and Tanev with Demko and Tryamkin last season and we're probably a bottom-5 team in the league.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Pay Beagle 3x the money to do worse than Gaunce on the 4th line...

Pay Gudbranson 4x the money to do way worse than Biega on the 3rd pairing...

Jimbo handing a fat contract to keep Toffoli would be nothing new.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Toffoli has fit in and wouldn't be opposed to a short-term high value contract like Edler but only at the expense of moving out the redundant expensive pieces (Sutter, Eriksson, Ferland, and Beagle are prime examples of assets that are moveable through various means). This isn't a team that is close to true contention and management has bungled assets so poorly. They should have been in an excellent position going into this season to have cap flexibility and acquire expenses short-term pieces then shift the contracts over to the core or add an expensive back-end piece. As it stands they are going into the offseason with no cap space, critical defensive and goaltending holes to fill, and decisions to be made on young RFAs or the lone affordable UFA (Leivo). Given the entire history of this team, I just don't see an outcome that sets them up for sustained success.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Toffoli has fit in and wouldn't be opposed to a short-term high value contract like Edler but only at the expense of moving out the redundant expensive pieces (Sutter, Eriksson, Ferland, and Beagle are prime examples of assets that are moveable through various means). This isn't a team that is close to true contention and management has bungled assets so poorly. They should have been in an excellent position going into this season to have cap flexibility and acquire expenses short-term pieces then shift the contracts over to the core or add an expensive back-end piece. As it stands they are going into the offseason with no cap space, critical defensive and goaltending holes to fill, and decisions to be made on young RFAs or the lone affordable UFA (Leivo). Given the entire history of this team, I just don't see an outcome that sets them up for sustained success.

I mean, yeah.

If this team had been built correctly without $20 million in blown cap space, and you think that Toffoli is a guy you really like and a good fit, then maybe you have the flexibility to sign him.

However, once you've made a complete mess of this, choosing to prioritize the signing of a 45-point winger (when you have other options that could do that job) over your superstar #1 goalie and your only competent RH defensive defender ... is just stupid.

And again, despite what Jim Benning's total incompetence might have conditioned us to believe, finding 45-point wingers isn't that bloody hard. Play Adam Gaudette in a top-6 wing role and give him the PP time he was getting last year on the wing already, and he's overwhelmingly likely to hit that target and then some.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
But....but I thought the cap doesn’t matter :sarcasm:

We're soooooooooooo screwed moving forward with Benning & Weisbro sill at the helm. Nothing going to change and it sure seems like business as usual with these clowns. See ya picks and prospects, incoming bloated UFA signings .

Really looking forward to opening the Pro Tank thread in 2023 and getting a top 5 pick.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

There's a difference between Edler and Toffoli...and it's about 6 years of age. I don't think Toffoli will be looking for a short term deal.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
There's a difference between Edler and Toffoli...and it's about 6 years of age. I don't think Toffoli will be looking for a short term deal.

This is Toffoli's big shot at a payday on an open market as a sought after cup-winning 28 year old. There are going to be a lot of bidders if he goes to market.

Gus Nyquist was 30 year old UFA and got 4 years 5.5MM, I think Tofolli will end up 5+ years 5.5MM+

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If he's offered a 2 year 6.5per he'd be a UFA again and able to get a mid-tier contract while staying in a place that maybe he enjoyed. Not saying he'd take the deal and his agent would more likely suggest something with far greater term. I'm saying that's the structure that makes sense for contending teams.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If he's offered a 2 year 6.5per he'd be a UFA again and able to get a mid-tier contract while staying in a place that maybe he enjoyed. Not saying he'd take the deal and his agent would more likely suggest something with far greater term. I'm saying that's the structure that makes sense for contending teams.

Given the even great amount of uncertainty of the pandemic w/r/t next season, in addition to a potential CBA stoppage in a couple years, I'm going to think that players are highly motivated to get as much guaranteed locked in money they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad