Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
If GMs only deserve credit for signing players who didn’t have reasons to want to play for their teams, then man, there’s a lot of bad GMs out there.

If the only passable players signed by a GM are ones who wanted to play here, and everyone he went out and targeted were junk then the GM is a pathetic waste of space.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I seem to recall people discounting the Hamhuis signing because he was from BC and wanted to play here anyways.

Which is entirely fair. Same with Garrison or even Tavares. Like, my comment was so obviously true and reasonable its bewildering why Bandy would have a contention to it. Of course one should factor in whether a player desired to play in a certain city in determining what kind of credit the GM signing that player should get. It would be crazy to question a point as obviously true as that unless you were just taking issue with a post critical of Benning but couldn’t challenge on merit the substantive criticism.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Benning is scheduled for an interview on 650 tomorrow at 11. See if Rintoul will ask good questions.

tenor-14-gif.300901

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I seem to recall people discounting the Hamhuis signing because he was from BC and wanted to play here anyways.

Conversely, is it not fair to criticize the GM then for non-signings like Nyquist in 2019 who also wanted to come here (mainly because he wanted to play with EP) that didn't happen because we - surprise, surprise! - had no cap space for it? Funny how that works.

Reactions: rypper

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Didn't someone in the media recently insinuate that Benning basically wasn't allowed to do interviews until it was 'safe' again to do so? Especially after the firestorm caused by his admission that he ran out of time with Toffoli and our big losing streak.

We might see some very cliche, pre-coached answers tomorrow. That's what I'd be ensuring if I was in Canucks PR.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Booking an interview with Rintoul is the equivalent of booking your drivers test in the notoriously easy to pass municipality after having failed the test a few times in your town already.
And Benning takes questions via a zoom chat at 10, so totally controlled by the Canucks. They will only call on guys who are known to ask softball questions.

Reactions: Bubbles

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Didn't someone in the media recently insinuate that Benning basically wasn't allowed to do interviews until it was 'safe' again to do so? Especially after the firestorm caused by his admission that he ran out of time with Toffoli and our big losing streak.

We might see some very cliche, pre-coached answers tomorrow. That's what I'd be ensuring if I was in Canucks PR.
Only questions asked that are prepared by the Canucks? I can definitely see that. “Here are the questions for you guys to ask.”
Try asking any other, and there will be a time delay so we (the audience) never hear it.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Yeah this is a good point. I wouldn't be surprised if they required Rintoul to send the questions in advance, in order for them to prepare a script of answers for Benning.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Yeah, Drance mentioned they would probably try to find a good spot to get a media session in. He did speculate that a Friday would make sense given the newscycle.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
When you look at the overall picture it really is a ridiculous comedy of errors in cap management isn't it.

Louie
Sven
Spooner
Beagle
Roussel
Virtanen
Myers
Holtby
Sutter
Ferland

That right there folks is like $32.5MM bucks a year!
Say what you want about Travis Green, but you can't blame him for the above. How the heck did Jimbo get a contract extension after creating this mess?
Just out of curiousity, I calculated how much the owners paid to those players over the life of their respective contracts, and this is what I found (all numbers from capfriendly.com).
Eriksson: $6m x 6 = $36m.
Sutter: $4.375m x 5 = $21.875m.
Roussel: $3m x 4 = $12m.
Beagle: $3m x 4 = $12m.
Myers: $6m x 5 = $30m.
Ferland: $3.5m x 4 = $14m (uninsured).
Holtby: $4.3m x 2 = $8.6m.
Baertschi: $3.367m x 3 = $10.1m (roughly).
Gagner: $3.15m x 3 = $9.45m (I know Gagner didn't finish his contract here, but that's only because we took an equally bad one back in Spooner).

Total: $154.025m

For comparison, when the Aquilinis purchased the Vancouver Canucks back in 2004, Forbes valued the team at $148m.
Yikes!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Comedy Gold:

Most of us here (if not all of us?) predicted a step back this season, because we saw what Benning did on the off season. Benning lost our all star goalie. He lost our first line RW. He lost our top Right shot D. HE lost our second best (IMO) Right shot D. After this terrible job by Benning, I thought we’d finish sixth. But after watching the Sen’s recent play, I could be wrong on that. Might be dead last.
#Thank you Benning.

Reactions: Rumsfeld and MarkMM

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Joke if an “interview”. Literally 0 real questions. All dancing around for sure.

imagine ME interviewing JB.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
guys JB is gonna meet with general media tomorrow as well as 650. He'll get his softballs but media members like JPat will hopefully get to ask questions in the general media availability. I'm ecstatic to hear this fat f*** sweat

Reactions: mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad