Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah, I mean obviously we're talking generally here. If you have a couple high-performers on ELCs you can take another big hit in the short-term to improve depth. Or whatever.

But as a general rule of thumb - if you're paying the bottom 10-11 guys on your roster more than $15 million total, you've probably made a mess. We're at about double that. For one of the worst bottom 10 groups in the league.
Just thinking about this now gave me an idea. Instead of the hard number cap what of you broke it down into maxing 4th liners at 2x the league minimum (league min. Is $750k, so $1.5m)? Obviously you hope forwards 12-14 are actual league minimum and then there is wiggle room.

If your 3rd liners are 4x league minimum (so $3m).

2nd liners 6x league minimum (so $4.5m) and 1st liners 10x league minimum ($7.5m).

Obviously some give or take and you can set it up for specific roles but that makes sense. Clearly players like we hope Pettersson and Hughes are go above normal 1st liners but that’s the gist.

Something like that. The more league minimum press box guys the better. This is why players like Biega and Gaunce get appreciated. They should allow you spend more on the positions that actually decide the games.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well I feel like you’re just not actually paying attention to what I’m writing. I’ve said numerous times if it’s not successful sell at next deadline.

I think results would be different because we’d have a new GM, a new coach and hopefully that GM would add 7-12 cost effective deals in the first offseason like Bill Zito just did for Florida.

If you go back I showed an actual roster that has limited but enough space to add pieces and that’s just assuming Eriksson and Roussel are waived. Maybe Eriksson gets LTIR or Roussel moves with a small retention. I just think getting us better than trying to suck. It’s past that point.

Yes I saw the roster you posted. It has something like $12M to fill 8 spots, including 2 top-6 forwards and 2 top-4 defensemen. Realistically that roster doesn't stand much of a chance next year, and I don't see the point in being mediocre and barely scraping by again. I also don't think it's realistic to expect ownership to pay the salaries of those players to be buried in the minors. But again, I just don't see the point in delaying anymore. We have a small handful of good players to build around and they're surrounded by dog shit. Pure dog shit. Rather than waiting and risking certain trade bait devaluing themselves I would rather strike while the iron is hot and try to get the best return possible that would help this team in 2+ years from now. The next 2 years are a write-off. There simply isn't the cap space available to build a good team around our core players. So the choice comes down to: do you build towards the team you'll have once those contracts are off the books? Or do you do what Benning has done over and over again and try to push for the playoffs yet again?

I want a team that can win 4 rounds, not a team that just makes the playoffs. I also think that's a message you can sell. Go in and talk to your core guys and say "look, previous management screwed up bad but we are going to fix things. It may take a couple years, but in the end we will have a championship calibre team."

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
You know who had a really good cap structure for players based on expected performance and role in the team? Gilman.

Sigh.

I love how Benning fired him, only for the NHL to pick him up to figure out the expansion rules for Vegas.

Remember that one year where we were over the cap for the entire summer, than him and Gillis pulled off some crazy cap maneuver and were compliant on the first day? I was astonished.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Since February 1, 2020 the Canucks have a record of 16-23-4 for a total of 36 points (.419%).

16 wins in 43 games.

A goal differential of -20.

The playoff run was a bubble, this is not a winning hockey team.

How does anyone involved with running this team justify keeping their jobs?
This isn’t an original comment but the reality is the team has zero complementary depth. They have a few top end players and the vast majority middling to lower end depth. Even Connor McDavid and Leon Draistl can’t carry a group of AHL players. And Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes aren’t that good.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What’s the point of having a 3.7 million dollar back up,goalie? This is just stupid now.
So 2 3 million dollar 4th line players and a 3.75 million dollar back up goalie ?

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
This isn’t an original comment but the reality is the team has zero complementary depth. They have a few top end players and the vast majority middling to lower end depth. Even Connor McDavid and Leon Draistl can’t carry a group of AHL players. And Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes aren’t that good.

Exactly.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
2015:
Well, that's a cut.
Why are you crying about that? It's no big deal. You're a big baby!

2016:
Well, that's the 86th cut.

2017:
Well, that's the 243rd cut.

2018:
Well, that's the 627th cut.

2019:
Well, that's the 834th cut.

2020:
Well, that's the 915th cut.

2021:
Well, that's the 1.000th cut.
Hindsight is 20/20!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can't remember if it was here or reddit (probably reddit) where in the discussion thread for when Beagle signed one of the positives was how easy to buy it out it would be in the last year or so.

If that's not the mark of a positive signing, then I don't know what is lol.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
When will Jim emerge from is Bunker?

Meanwhile his team is a stinking pile of pig sh*t and only the head coach is available to face the music.

Embarrassing leadership from the top, nothing new,.... who needs a President of hockey Ops anyways?

Somewhere in the lower mainland John Weisbrod is sharpening his knife waiting for the moment.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Not quite. My way is to do a 2-year rebuild. Your way is to do more of what Benning has done (unless you're saying you're willing to commit to that rebuild if the team fails again next season, and given what we have seen from this team I have no idea why you think the results would be any different).
Stripping the team down more and assuming you can climb out of it in 2 years seems idealistic. This team needs to add a bunch of good assets in every way it can.

I also take a look at the clouds hanging over the team right now. Another few years of this crap and you really think players will want to stick around? Seems wishful.

on top of that I’m not sure I want to even imagine what Bo’s skating is going to look like when he’s pushing 30.

Stripping down, tanking and waiting 2-3 years puts us right in danger of another major rebuild, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad