Management Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It should be very obvious that this team has improved a lot. You’d even get consensus on this deeply divided board, the only qualifier you’d get would the degree of improvement.

I’m sticking with my prediction that they’ll make the playoffs and as to how far they could go? A top six rental at the tdl could put them in a position to go on a nice run.
Yeah. I want them to win a cup. You’re content with a playoff spot. That’s the difference in you and me. Improving in one season doesn’t make Benning right and we’re 6 games in. They’ve been 4-2 in 3 of the last 4 years.

Reactions: I am toxic

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Yeah. I want them to win a cup. You’re content with a playoff spot. That’s the difference in you and me. Improving in one season doesn’t make Benning right and we’re 6 games in. They’ve been 4-2 in 3 of the last 4 years.
So you don’t see a better team?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Well you responded to my comments that 6 games plus finishing 23rd overall last year proves Benning was right and that the rumoured slower build Linden pushed for us wrong.

Has the team improved? So far they look improved. How improved I think is too early to judge.

They’d be 2-2-2 in the old days.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I see a team that is capped out, and mortgaged their future by trading away a first round pick that still isn't a playoff team but is doing whatever it can to squeak into the playoffs. The goal has never been to build a future Cup contender. The goal has always been to push for the playoffs and just get in. That's not good enough for me.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I see a team that is capped out, and mortgaged their future by trading away a first round pick that still isn't a playoff team but is doing whatever it can to squeak into the playoffs. The goal has never been to build a future Cup contender. The goal has always been to push for the playoffs and just get in. That's not good enough for me.
Of course you would.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Because that's reality, and I can support my side with facts. You can't support your claims with anything factual.
I’m not even sure you watch the Canucks anymore, do you? You’re only interested in bashing management. I prefer the entertainment I get from watching and cheering for my hockey team.
Have fun with your facts.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I’m not even sure you watch the Canucks anymore, do you? You’re only interested in bashing management. I prefer the entertainment I get from watching and cheering for my hockey team.

You know, if you're trying to convince someone that they're wrong and you're right it's best to come back with something factual. Resorting to "I like the entertainment I get from cheering for my team, you don't watch the games" doesn't get you anywhere. I like our planet too, but that doesn't change the fact that climate change is happening.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Haha. I think it’s hilarious that you think “have fun with your facts” is some kind of insult.

If you have no interest in discussing management but instead are content to enjoy cheering, what is the use of posting, while rarely if ever responding to the content of posts.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Haha. I think it’s hilarious that you think “have fun with your facts” is some kind of insult.

If you have no interest in discussing management but instead are content to enjoy cheering, what is the use of posting, while rarely if ever responding to the content of posts.
I didn’t realize I was in the wrong thread.
I’m watching a hockey game.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

He's proven wrong year after year and now just resorts to enjoying cheering on the team. Hey, nothing wrong with that. If someone wants to just sit there, watch the games and cheer on their team, have at it. What I take exception to is when people act like those of us who value facts are wrong.

It's a fact that this is the worst team in the NHL since October 2015. It's a fact that this is one of the highest payrolls in the NHL. It's a fact that this team is without a future first round pick. It's a fact that management has been talking playoffs every year (except last year when they resorted to talking about playing meaningful games late into the season lol). It's a fact that this management team has been very active in free agency every year. It's also a fact that this management team has traded away more draft picks than it's acquired during their entire tenure, and that they haven't traded away a player for a top 3 round draft pick since June 2015.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I didn’t realize I was in the wrong thread.
I’m watching a hockey game.

Yes, you are in the wrong thread.

If you're "watching a hockey game," then go post in the GDTs about the game. We have them for every game, and they're pinned to the top of the forum. It shouldn't be hard for you to find them.

What you're doing is engaging with people about the situation of the team and the decisions of the team's management, but refusing to do so in good faith by actually putting forward any sort of reasoning or support for anything you say.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Yes, you are in the wrong thread.

If you're "watching a hockey game," then go post in the GDTs about the game. We have them for every game, and they're pinned to the top of the forum. It shouldn't be hard for you to find them.

What you're doing is engaging with people about the situation of the team and the decisions of the team's management, but refusing to do so in good faith by actually putting forward any sort of reasoning or support for anything you say.
I got sidetracked. I think I have put forward enough reasoning to show why I believe the team has improved this season but you’re right, I have little interest in rehashing the same old tired arguments. Everything has been covered by both sides.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I got sidetracked. I think I have put forward enough reasoning to show why I believe the team has improved this season but you’re right, I have little interest in rehashing the same old tired arguments. Everything has been covered by both sides.

Actually not much has been covered by the pro-Benning side. "Just because" and "be a fan, cheer your team" aren't valid arguments in favour of Benning.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
Actually not much has been covered by the pro-Benning side. "Just because" and "be a fan, cheer your team" aren't valid arguments in favour of Benning.

Speaking of bad faith arguments...

Edit: Going to start utilizing the ignore list.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Is that seriously your argument? That the roster has gotten a bit better? Wow. Honestly man, if you can't see why people have an issue with your so called 'arguments', I really don't know what to say.

We're looking at management's entire body of work. You're looking at short term results. That's the difference. You have tunnel vision and only want to see what's happening right in the now, rather than the big picture. That's your issue.

Now, the question is; is it willful ignorance, or do you just not care? I think it can't be the latter, because you're constantly trying to bait and argue with team tank people. That leaves willful ignorance. [MOD] you do not want to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Speaking of bad faith arguments...

Edit: Going to start utilizing the ignore list.

Probably for the best. Especially since it's not bad faith. Those have been arguments used several times. And to-date, not a single person has provided a fact-based, logical argument that supports the job Benning has done. One guy tried arguing that the Canucks started a rebuild in 2017, but that was easily proven wrong.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
But that wasn’t even the topic of the discussion you entered.

I interpreted your response to my post that was replying to catamaran as agreeing this “improved” team proved Benning was right and somehow validated him vs Linden.

Then you changed the subject to asking if people thought the team improved.

I think they have improved but that wasn’t a high bar given then past 4 seasons.

But even this improvement is a flawed team for the reasons being given. And the improved 4-3 (2-3-2) start with two regulation wins and have been shot out twice.

I wouldn’t be comfortable patting the GM’s back knowing/seeing that.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
That’s a matter of interpretation in my mind. I’m not so much pro-Benning as I am pro-Canuck but you go ahead and carry on your crusade.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
That’s a matter of interpretation in my mind. I’m not so much pro-Benning as I am pro-Canuck but you go ahead and carry on your crusade.
If you were pro-Canuck, you can't support the work Benning has done in his tenure. Or not attack other Canucks fans that don't follow "your view" (whatever it may be, because no one can understand, since you change the goalposts on a daily basis).

And if you are so pro-Canucks, why didn't I see a post from you since February, when we start losing our playoff spot? And yet, here you are when the team wins 4 game sin a row... strange way to be a fan just when the team wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad