Management Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Letting Ehrhoff sign for $40M elsewhere was a great move.
allowing him to get to free agency when he was their top scoring defenseman and most important PP piece on D was incompetence. Especially so when Ballard was already in AVs doghouse and was 4plus million of rotting corpse.
Gillis thought he could squeeze him and Ehrhoof took the money route after doing so. Was another of his moves that unraveled the team.

Poor asset management

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
“Call me auntie vaxxer for all I care.”

Why would you post that if you didn’t think I called you an anti-vaxer? The plain meaning of your post was that you acknowledged that I called you an anti-Vaxer but that you didn’t care.

And no, it wasn’t an attempted to undermine your opinion by associating you with a group of idiots. If it was, why would I have expressly stated otherwise? It takes some real mental gymnastics to come to the conclusions you are coming to here.

Why the f*** would I think you believe I don't take vaccinations? Think for a minute how stupid that sounds. Haha.

It was a play on words at the very bottom of a long, detailed reply by myself that made light of your analogy. If you still haven't caught on, no I don't believe you think I am shocked to find out the Earth isn't flat.

And yeah, I'm sure you used those 2 examples at random. No intention on your part to use examples of arguments that are absurd, which cannot be supported by any rational human being.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Who said I don't enjoy it?

And I am most critical of people who magnify Benning's mistakes, even the way he talks, his hair, whatever, and those same people who also minimize the good things he has done. Last time I said that I actually had someone ask, "Name one good thing he's done." When you are dealing with people who are that invested in hating someone that their views are totally distorted and not grounded in reality, then that's a problem for everyone who tries to debate anything with them.

I happen to think he has this train on track, or at least I'm hoping so, but I'm still cautious about that. I think he's done some dumb stuff and he's done some great stuff. Hopefully it's beginning to pay off. He is making far fewer unforced errors. Indeed, he's excelling. But i do not hate the man and I certainly do not want him fired at this juncture when all his work may be beginning to pay off.

Without re-hashing on all the good and bad stuff that Benning has done, here's the summary of how's he added his players to this current team:

- Hit on 2 of his 4 top-10 draft picks (Not counting the most recent draft)
- Hit on one of his other two non-top 10 1st round draft picks.
- Only one non-1st round draft pick starting to play a prominent role (Demko)
- Paying market value for solid contributors (Miller and Myers)
- Pay market value for far too many bottom-6 forwards.

He's drafted about as well as you would expect of someone with all of those picks. He's paying his 4 studs something like ~$15 million and he's gotten the least out of this massive advantage by doing that last thing on the list. He's got something like $25-30 million tied up in bottom-6 forwards/buyouts as we speak. That's a third of the cap invested in, arguably, the least important area of the roster. Nothing of what he's doing is particularly impressive and I just don't believe he has what it takes to get this team to the finish line, especially when he'll have to begin doing more with a lot less very soon (after extending Pettersson/Hughes/Boeser).

Reactions: ekimbo and Peter10

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Benning should have been fired after the moves of 2016.
Since 2017 he's done a good job
The top line is all his and is exciting as hell and incredibly young. Hughes looks like an absolute game changer
Horvats linemates are still a work in progress but Gaudette Pearson Virtanen Roussel Ferland Sutter Baertschi Leivo are all capable of 15-20 goals if fully healthy and give us a nice mix of complementary forwards. We have enough size and strength to battle the big boys
He's addressed the defense and has solidified 3 good pairings.
Goaltending is a strength. Demko is a stud in the making.
The prospect pool is ranked in the top5 by outside sources
We dont have contractual issues outside of Eriksson and the recapture that the Gillis' regime idiotically left us with
For the 2nd time in the last 20 plus years since Burke and Nonis were here we have competent drafting
The competitive culture of our team is looking like its been well constructed and is starting to be admired around the league
People are starting to pay big money for tickets again and the building is starting to fill

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Who said I don't enjoy it?

And I am most critical of people who magnify Benning's mistakes, even the way he talks, his hair, whatever, and those same people who also minimize the good things he has done. Last time I said that I actually had someone ask, "Name one good thing he's done." When you are dealing with people who are that invested in hating someone that their views are totally distorted and not grounded in reality, then that's a problem for everyone who tries to debate anything with them.

I happen to think he has this train on track, or at least I'm hoping so, but I'm still cautious about that. I think he's done some dumb stuff and he's done some great stuff. Hopefully it's beginning to pay off. He is making far fewer unforced errors. Indeed, he's excelling. But i do not hate the man and I certainly do not want him fired at this juncture when all his work may be beginning to pay off.

You had said that this thread makes your brain hurt, to me, it was coming off as though you didn’t enjoy the thread.

As for the rest, that’s fine, but making cheeky posts poking fun at stats nerds (with the Cup odds thing you posted) and then telling folks they should pack it up makes it come off as insincere.

If you’re joshing around, cool, whatever. But I wasn’t the only person who found your tone a bit jarring.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So then how about the one below? He was on the job for 22 months by then. Saying the "turnaround in a hurry" was just for the first season when his words months after that season completely contradict it is just rewriting history so his dumb statements fit to whatever results are achieved.

What does it contradict.?.....the quote we all talk about pertains to 2014-15...(and he did indeed turn it around in a hurry..101 point season)......This isn't even a quote (its iMacs words),and it pertains to Bennings 2nd season (where they truly sucked),and he still believed they were a playoff team.

There's no argument from me (or anybody really) that post playoffs 2015.... compete/retool was a dead end

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
You're going way back to the drafts of 2006 to prove a point. about the Blues...Since that time the Canucks were an elite team for a number of years ,and were a game away from winning the SC..We also had got key players later in the draft (Edler,Bieksa,Schneider) around 2003-4

Yeah, and I had fully acknowledged that okay, that may be a little unfair. I also pointed to other drafts under Armstrong as an indication of a continuation of that process. Again, look at the Taresenko draft.

The point I was making is that the Blues have a long history of valuing draft picks and getting value out of those picks, which is something that folks have advocated for in these threads.

Bringing up the Blues as an example of a team that has stayed mostly solid while being critical of Benning critics who felt they were denied “the process” is a little silly because those same critics are basically advocating for what the Blues are doing.

I'm not pooh poohing the' process' at all...I'm fully aware of the cycles of core players (and how many years they can sustain it) ..and the realistic 'down time'...Look at the Kings,Hawks,Senators

Right, but you can also look at teams like the Sharks, the Blues or the Rangers who seem to enjoy long term success or very brief “down” periods. Hell, even the Red Wings enjoyed long term success and have only recently have really started to fall off.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to see ongoing and continued success.

The issue is with the methodology (or “process”) and how different management strategies can dictate how things can go.

Again, I feel the Blues are a strong example of what critics of management want to see in their own franchise. Feel free to disagree.

I pointed out the Blues of being an example of a team that never really tanked...or won the lottery..demonstrating that the 'process' of rebuilding a team is not linear..There are many ways to skin a cat.

I would argue, though there are different approaches, that it is hard to take short cuts and you’re opening yourself to greater risk than taking more measured or slower approaches.

Risk averse folks, whom I think a lot of the management critics are, are going to favour someone like Gillis who could be described as being methodical. Sometimes to his detriment, as it took way too long for him to overhaul the amateur scouting, as a single example.

Benning has opted for high risk/reward scenarios with a lot of his moves. If it works, it can pay off and you’ll look like a genius, but as we all know around here it is really hard to evaluate talent, and it is something I’ve personally have been really critical of Benning for because he was billed as a top evaluator of talent and I’m not seeing that with his amateur and pro personnel moves. Yes, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser are good picks, but I’m expecting better overall depth results from him and savvier pro personnel decisions. Things like Sbisa, Eriksson and Gudbranson are all understandable mistakes for a GM to make, but 3 huge misreads from someone who is apparently better at evaluating talent is pretty bad in my mind.

That’s why things like asset management, stock piling draft picks and making good use of cap space are harped on endlessly here. They’re all methods of hedging your bets (which again, teams like St Louis, SJ et al. seem to utilize quite a bit in different ways.)

I just object to people whining about the 'process' after a 15 year run of relatively good hockey with the Sedin era..There was going to be down time..and we all knew it was coming....Thinking that the Canucks would replace their core players in 2-3 was never realistic.

Again, I don’t think it is unreasonable to advocate for long term success and I would argue that the Canucks would have been destined for a slump post WCE (as they seemed to be) but were fortunate that Mike Keenan was an idiot and gifted us Luongo. I don’t think the slump would have been prolonged but I think we might have been looking at 2-3 seasons of “meh” hockey. But that’s just pure opinion/speculation on my behalf.

And okay, that’s fine that not expecting a turn around in 2-3 years. But Benning shouldn’t be continually harping that his focus is the playoffs every goddamned year.

There are a lot of easy ways to say positive sounding things without (essentially) promising the moon. You can manage expectations without saying the goal is playoffs.

That’s another thing I hold Benning accountable for because I don’t think he’s a particularly good public speaker. Which is fine, but talk to your PR department and avoid shooting yourself in the foot. Also, I personally think he thought he could short cut his way to making the team into a contender...a lot of the language used by management really screamed that to me.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Why the **** would I think you believe I don't take vaccinations? Think for a minute how stupid that sounds. Haha.

It was a play on words at the very bottom of a long, detailed reply by myself that made light of your analogy. If you still haven't caught on, no I don't believe you think I am shocked to find out the Earth isn't flat.

And yeah, I'm sure you used those 2 examples at random. No intention on your part to use examples of arguments that are absurd, which cannot be supported by any rational human being.

My problem is despite the fact I stated otherwise, you still took the wrong interpretation of my comment in order to paint me in an unfair light. It’s childish, and it’s absolutely ridiculously when I literally explained the reason for the analogy. Sure, you can say it was a joke or a play on words or whatever, and that’s fine, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and we can move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad