Management Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Same thing happens every single year. Canucks get off to an okay start, a playoff push thread is started, then the stats and level of play evens out as more games are played, and the playoff push thread disappears into thin air.

both sides puff out their chest every single year when 10 games haven’t even been played, but the playoff push folk do it the most every single year to start the season then get quiet as things normalize. I feel like the playoff push threads have been started very early every single season but I may be wrong.

sure the Canucks are improved a bit but the team relies on Pettersson and Boeser to score the bulk of their goals and to produce the bulk of the offense for others. Horvat still hasn’t had any good wingers flank him since he’s been drafted. Pearson is not a top six winger on a Stanley cup roster, that much is for sure. The depth has far too much question marks around it and they aren’t very offensively gifted.

not much has really changed with the roster other than more weight being put on pettersson/Boeser/Horvat to carry around everyone offensively as they get older/more experience.

we all want to win a cup and that seemingly gets lost in everything. There are different routes to accomplish that. I’m just wondering how much more proof we need to witness that this route needs to be re-paved with new asphalt.

I’m at the point where I’m not even pro Benning or opposed. I literally don’t even care anymore. I hate that I don’t care but that’s what years of BS does. I’m literally just watching games and if we win or lose, I feel nothing either way. We’re a middling team going absolutely nowhere and I am the least invested in this team than I have ever been in my life. It feels like a chore at this point.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
If you were pro-Canuck, you can't support the work Benning has done in his tenure. Or not attack other Canucks fans that don't follow "your view" (whatever it may be, because no one can understand, since you change the goalposts on a daily basis).

And if you are so pro-Canucks, why didn't I see a post from you since February, when we start losing our playoff spot? And yet, here you are when the team wins 4 game sin a row... strange way to be a fan just when the team wins.
I can support whoever I see fit and if I’m attacking, [MOD]?
I’ve been pretty consistent in my view.

Another example of seeing only what you want to see: check my posting history, I’ve posted plenty since February.
I’ve been following this team for almost fifty years...through thick and thin.
Pause and take a breath [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Canucko

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So you don’t see a better team?

Well Hughes aside, a league granted award for being aside, the improvements this year are largely from reversing course on a self inflected wound: employing Gudbranson and Poulliot for so long, being able to dish out long term contracts while the teams top forward and top up and coming dman are still on ELC's, and dumping an unprotected 1st round pick.

That's going to give you some improvement but it's not something that management should really deserve credit for and leaves the fundamental problem holding the team back still in place.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Well Hughes aside, a league granted award for being aside, the improvements this year are largely from reversing course on a self inflected wound: employing Gudbranson and Poulliot for so long, being able to dish out long term contracts while the teams top forward and top up and coming dman are still on ELC's, and dumping an unprotected 1st round pick.

That's going to give you some improvement but it's not something that management should really deserve credit for and leaves the fundamental problem holding the team back still in place.
I agree regarding Gudbranson and Pouliot, additions by subtraction but adding Myers was also a welcome addition as was Miller and yes the jury is still out on that one as to the price paid.
Nothing I will say would sway your stance on Benning, all I’ll say is that I really don’t care much who the GM is, for me, it’s just about cheering for my favorite hockey team.
I’m happy being a mere casual.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
We still lack skill outside of a few players and it puts too much pressure on Elias and Brock. The decision to keep loui and schaller while sending down bae was baffling. Never mind keeping gaudette in the press box. Our pp is basically a minute long when you consider the 2nd unit being sent out there at the moment.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
If you were pro-Canuck, you can't support the work Benning has done in his tenure. Or not attack other Canucks fans that don't follow "your view" (whatever it may be, because no one can understand, since you change the goalposts on a daily basis).

And if you are so pro-Canucks, why didn't I see a post from you since February, when we start losing our playoff spot? And yet, here you are when the team wins 4 game sin a row... strange way to be a fan just when the team wins.

Incredible good fortune and selective reading.

Reactions: geebaan

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That’s a matter of interpretation in my mind. I’m not so much pro-Benning as I am pro-Canuck but you go ahead and carry on your crusade.

It's not a matter of interpretation at all. Come up with something factual, or you're wrong, simple as that.

I'm pro-Canuck too. Hence why I want what's best for the team. Hence why I demand better than the idiot who's running the team.

Oh you mean your cherry picked facts.

What is cherry picked? I listed the facts in here. Do you have any facts that support Benning? I say that because I'm confident that you don't.

Reactions: Luckylarry

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's not a matter of interpretation at all. Come up with something factual, or you're wrong, simple as that.

I'm pro-Canuck too. Hence why I want what's best for the team. Hence why I demand better than the idiot who's running the team.

You also wanted Gillis to be fired. Maybe what you think is best for the team isn't actually good for the team?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I agree regarding Gudbranson and Pouliot, additions by subtraction but adding Myers was also a welcome addition as was Miller and yes the jury is still out on that one as to the price paid.
Nothing I will say would sway your stance on Benning, all I’ll say is that I really don’t care much who the GM is, for me, it’s just about cheering for my favorite hockey team.
I’m happy being a mere casual.

There's nothing wrong with being a casual.

But why is it a bad thing for others to look at facts if they want a deeper look into what's really going on? I don't understand.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
You also wanted Gillis to be fired. Maybe what you think is best for the team isn't actually good for the team?

It's possible for one to be wrong about Gillis at the time and yet right about Benning in the present. People can change.

He also used to blame the Sedins solely for 2011 but I would think he's wisened up since then.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's possible for one to be wrong about Gillis at the time and yet right about Benning in the present. People can change.

He also used to blame the Sedins solely for 2011 but I would think he's wisened up since then.

The point is like parents "wanting the best" for kids, a pro-Canucks fans "wanting the best" for the Canucks can mean different things.

But someone who cares a lot about right and wrong and never admits to being wrong probably hasn't "wisened up."

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
The point is like parents "wanting the best" for kids, a pro-Canucks fans "wanting the best" for the Canucks can mean different things.

But someone who cares a lot about right and wrong and never admits to being wrong probably hasn't "wisened up."

Probably just a difference in opinion then. It's been 6 years which is a long time, and I don't think anyone here can say they've been 100% correct in their takes on the Canucks at any point. It's more a question of how often you're on the wrong/side of the ledger...

And I guess what the "best thing" actually is just depends on your definition.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Why would you say that? Do you think the Canucks were headed in the right direction at that time? It also wasn't widely known in 2013 that Aquilini was meddling with the front office. But having said that, the rumours that Gillis was targeting Bartkowski and Spooner for Edler at the 2013 trade deadline suggests to me that his firing was the right move. He even admitted that it was probably for the best as he had become a problem. We've been over this, but you continue to ignore the facts in order to continue this narrative.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

It's also possible to be right at the time about Gillis, and still right about Benning. Gillis himself admitted he had become part of the problem towards the end of his tenure.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Same thing happens every single year. Canucks get off to an okay start, a playoff push thread is started, then the stats and level of play evens out as more games are played, and the playoff push thread disappears into thin air.

Early on in the season the parity is even stronger. All teams need to wake up from their slumber. Some do it faster, some take forever (St Louis last year anyone?), some never do.

Spur1

Sep 12, 2019

What is cherry picked? I listed the facts in here. Do you have any facts that support Benning? I say that because I'm confident that you don't.
Here is a couple of facts for ya. Canucks are above .500. Also at the moment they are in 5th place in the west.

Reactions: Nomobo

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Here is a couple of facts for ya. Canucks are above .500. Also at the moment they are in 5th place in the west.
I made a wager with a playoff supporter two year ago and it was easy money.

I'm willing to do the same this year, are you up for it?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
There isn't any definitive answer to whether the team is better off going for the playoffs this year. None of us making pronouncements about the direction of the team is necessarily correct. Many posters would basically [MOD] making themselves way easier to interact if they kept that in mind and didn't lie or exaggerate to reduce the apparent degree of uncertainty in their predictions as far as possible. I think this team looks a lot better than last year. I think Jim Benning is a poor GM who seems for whatever reason to gradually be making better decisions and more conservative ones where appropriate. I'm definitely enjoying the hockey I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: krutovsdonut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad