Management Thread | Is a Reckoning coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Oh yeah all my teams baby. Although I feel pretty good about the Sens going forward. Ownership is a real scare there though. Which is why I laugh at the aquaman ownership whinging. Still overall it’s a great day today on all accounts.
I don't know. Isn't that like a man dying of dehydration in the desert laughing at the man drowning in the ocean?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It may not be so simple. If it's true that Benning has stayed on at FA's insistence, it might be more that critiques of Benning are being interpreted as critiques of FA, by FA. And this is independent of the possibility (probability?) that FA is meddling through Benning's acquiescence. If Benning staying on is an ego thing with FA, it could explain why every ruinous signing and misstep is viewed through rose colored glasses. Because otherwise, it would mean that FA made a mistake and picked the wrong guy.

Regardless, I hope to God this thing has legs. Seeing a real house cleaning rather than just Green taking the fall would be huge for this team.

But it’s still a response to the negative press and building apathy of the fan base. If everything was going swimmingly on the PR front then ownership doesn’t care about the situation. But it’s not going well, the brand is being hurt and just maybe the rest of the ownership group is going to take away FAs play thing (the Canucks).

The only thing that has changed over the last handful of days compared to the previous 5+ years is the turn from the media and fan base. FA and Benning have always been incompetent and doing a lousy job.

Reactions: vanuck and Peter10

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The Aquilini's are not stupid, Francesco is merely blinded by his emotional fandom of this team. They fired Nonis because they had advisors (namely Gillis) who said Nonis had to go. I'm sure ownership, not just Francesco, have advisors and given how widely we've been hearing reports over the past year about how poorly this team is managed, I wouldn't be surprised if their advisors said something similar and the rest of ownership took note and took a closer look at this franchise's operation.

polloqpiu

May 20, 2018
The Aquilini's are not stupid, Francesco is merely blinded by his emotional fandom of this team. They fired Nonis because they had advisors (namely Gillis) who said Nonis had to go. I'm sure ownership, not just Francesco, have advisors and given how widely we've been hearing reports over the past year about how poorly this team is managed, I wouldn't be surprised if their advisors said something similar and the rest of ownership took note and took a closer look at this franchise's operation.
They are not stupid but need to pay advisors to be told the team is not managed well LOL

Reactions: I am toxic

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
So in all seriousness who are legitimate candidates for GM? Keep seeing Courtnall (which had no idea he was even “a thing”), a Gillis re-do... but aside from them who is actually an option?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Nonis deserved to be fired, Gillis based off drafting, goalie gate and John T. his firing was justified. Based off what we know now Benning should have been fired in 2016 as first 3 years were a disaster rebuild wise minus Demko and Boeser. However, the Canucks have put together a lot from 2017 onwards. Whoever is the gm going forward will be in position to succeed like Gillis was in 2008. Solid young core with a high pick to choose and money coming off the books.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Nonis deserved to be fired, Gillis based off drafting, goalie gate and John T. his firing was justified. Based off what we know now Benning should have been fired in 2016 as first 3 years were a disaster rebuild wise minus Demko and Boeser. However, the Canucks have put together a lot from 2017 onwards. Whoever is the gm going forward will be in position to succeed like Gillis was in 2008. Solid young core with a high pick to choose and money coming off the books.

Big agree on this! Drafting late and improving our scouting staff with guys like Crawford/Brackett, and acquiring a #1G Markstrom and our captain, loser moves. Glad to see him gone!

Please stop posting this trash :help:

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
I don't know where to put this, Since 4 Similar threads, but Ill just leave this here also.
Thoughts?

Let's Play "Arm Chair Ownership!"
This is how I would do things, Flame away!

1 - Hire Jim Ruthaford as President of Hockey Operations:
I honestly Can't think about a More Credible name as a President that you can bring in, to look over this complete Regime change. Even at his Age, I feel he would bring respect, class, and honestly credibility once again, to the organization.

2 - Hire Mike Gillis as our General Manager.
Mike is a Proactive, Smart Executive, Who has a history with the Canucks, and his out of the ball thinking is exactly what we need to fix this Mess done in by Jim.

3 - Hire Roberto Luongo as our Assistant General Manager
While Inexperienced, I believe he would add instant Credibility to the Front Office, Really intelligent and Respect Player, Has roots in Vancouver, Loved mostly by the Fanbase, and would be groomed Nicely by Mike And jim and Potentially bypass GM to President Role in the future

4 - Hire Bruce boudreau - Bruce has a Magnitude of Experience, A fiery man, Well respected, and just loves to talk hockey. Reminds me a lot of Jon Cooper, which I am sure he learned at lot from Bruce.
Bruce makes the playoffs, He has consistently had his teams make the show, While never winning the cup, He is somebody who I would have complete trust with.

And that is who I think should run the show, Has a nice mix of Youth and Experience, Has a bunch of extremely smart individuals, and would get us back on track.

Taking your idea:

Let's Play "Arm Chair Ownership!"
This is how I would do things, Flame away!

1 - Hire Mike Gillis as President of Hockey Operations:

2 - Hire Eric Tulsky as our General Manager.

3 - Hire Roberto Luongo as our Assistant General Manager

4 - Hire Gerrard Gallant ad our Head Coach

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Big agree on this! Drafting late and improving our scouting staff with guys like Crawford/Brackett, and acquiring a #1G Markstrom and our captain, loser moves. Glad to see him gone!

Please stop posting this trash :help:
Exactly goalie gate! We got a young goalie (THEN, after all this was 7 flipping years ago) that was serious consideration for a Vezina later and our current Captain of the team out of dealing those two goalies. But Gillis!

Jethro Bodine dealing players.. Trades a 3C/top six winger (who the shite needs that with foundation center in full balls Sutter - another home run trade by Jethro) and a top four D for a sack of manure in NoGoodBranSuck and another AHLer D that couldn’t skate at the NHL level. Expert professional scout indeed. Stevie Wonder can see better than Jethro Bodine.

Goalie gate my ass. Jethro Bodine is the King of gates!:laugh:

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
If Courtnall Was the one who/part of the group that spotted gillis then having him in an advisory role to the PoHo or GM wouldn't be bad.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
But it’s still a response to the negative press and building apathy of the fan base. If everything was going swimmingly on the PR front then ownership doesn’t care about the situation. But it’s not going well, the brand is being hurt and just maybe the rest of the ownership group is going to take away FAs play thing (the Canucks).

The only thing that has changed over the last handful of days compared to the previous 5+ years is the turn from the media and fan base. FA and Benning have always been incompetent and doing a lousy job.
Up until late this season I don’t think Aquilini felt any pressure whatsoever from fans or media to change management.

Reactions: MS

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Listening to the "Boat Captain", it sounds like a bigger shake-up is in the works.

GMJB, Weisbrod, and Green are probably gone but where it gets interesting is that Francesco may be replaced by his younger brother Roberto as Managing Director.

The thought being that Luigi has stepped in to repair the 'Brand" and that Francesco is partially responsible for the Franchises downturn and he is no longer viable as the person who can instil confidence going forward because he is too aligned with past decisions.

The idea is apparently that Roberto would be more objective and run it purely as a business and let qualified Executives run the Hockey Ops while he concentrates on the business.

Of course the possibility still exists that this is all a preamble to the team being sold and becoming someone else's headache.

It is interesting to speculate on this because Courtnall and Gillis apparently tried to buy the Arizona Coyotes, so perhaps they would buy some or all of the Canucks Franchise?

It is about to get real (or not) the 'Boat Captain" has missed the boat before.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Listening to the "Boat Captain", it sounds like a bigger shake-up is in the works.

GMJB, Weisbrod, and Green are probably gone but where it gets interesting is that Francesco may be replaced by his younger brother Roberto as Managing Director.

The thought being that Luigi has stepped in to repair the 'Brand" and that Francesco is partially responsible for the Franchises downturn and he is no longer viable as the person who can instil confidence going forward because he is too aligned with past decisions.

The idea is apparently that Roberto would be more objective and run it purely as a business and let qualified Executives run the Hockey Ops while he concentrates on the business.

Of course the possibility still exists that this is all a preamble to the team being sold and becoming someone else's headache.

It is interesting to speculate on this because Courtnall and Gillis apparently tried to buy the Arizona Coyotes, so perhaps they would buy some or all of the Canucks Franchise?

It is about to get real (or not) the 'Boat Captain" has missed the boat before.
I’ve hinted at this for months and it has nothing to do with on ice performance. Let’s just say that I think that Nonno L lost faith during and after certain divorce proceedings.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The more I think about it, It makes so much sense honestly.
Chris MacFarland and Mike Gillis won't exactly cost you an Arm and a Leg which Ownership would 100% like.
Luongo as an assistant GM won't cost you much, and would look great for PR.
Bruce has been out of the game for a little bit here, I doubt he takes a massive payment, I could see him coming in at a decent price.

All 4 guys are proactive and intelligent guys, Bruce has the experience, Chris and mike have a nice mixture of youth and experience, and Luongo is the guy getting groomed for a bigger roll.

I know it's a long shot, but that would be so exciting.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
From the hiring of Benning when I was just finishing my degree in SFU filled with youth and vigor, to now almost turning 30 full with experience and 2 kids.

Finally... lets not crush waste anyone’s yime anymore. Fire these morons.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Up until late this season I don’t think Aquilini felt any pressure whatsoever from fans or media to change management.

I think it was the JT Miller and Bo Horvat statements in the last few weeks that really got the attention of Luigi/Roberto/Paolo etc. I think until then they were content to let Francesco run the team as his toy.

Reactions: Dab

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
as weird as the sekeres story is, it is absolutely bizarre that this thread has turned into a mike gillis love affair. of all the options out there, why would the canucks turn back the clock to a guy who could not sustain the success he achieved, could not draft, and who nobody else in the league will hire seven years later.

waiting to see what actually comes out of this. as shocked as i would be if francesco stepped back, that seems like a thing that might happen. if gillis gets rehired i will have to look into the theories that reality is a simulation.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
as weird as the sekeres story is, it is absolutely bizarre that this thread has turned into a mike gillis love affair. of all the options out there, why would the canucks turn back the clock to a guy who could not sustain the success he achieved, could not draft, and who nobody else in the league will hire seven years later.

waiting to see what actually comes out of this. as shocked as i would be if francesco stepped back, that seems like a thing that might happen. if gillis gets rehired i will have to look into the theories that reality is a simulation.
I've been down that hole, safe to say its not that bad actually.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if is was a betting man, what odds will people give me on

alex burrows coach
roberto luongo gm

stand by.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

yeah there is no way gillis will happen. neither party would ever go there

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
it certainly has been bizarre.

so bizarre that what started as jokes about certain posters being paid by the team and/or being management themselves, rather than just contrarians on the internet, became something some people here actually started believing (speaking of conspiracy theorists...)

from where i sit, gillis became a culture war. our team getting pushed around in the finals, the unfair reffing, getting screwed by the league on multiple occasions, the avalanche of hate from virtually every other fanbase, this made people lose their damn minds. and it somehow morphed into a weird identification with a perceived lack of meat and potatoes and too much book learning (“omg arrrogant”) that remains today. just look at the bonkers enduring obsession with the old boys club. like, how dare you have a meritocracy.

all this btw is ironic because benning was a soft one dimensional offensive dman who couldn’t defend for shit and gillis was a hard nosed tweener on the big bad bruins who once topped 100 PIMs in the AHL (and not for nothing but as a bottom of roster/minor league player still had as many pts in the playoffs as benning played games). but yes gillis was smart and that rubbed people the wrong way and so we had people here ridiculing him for teaching at a university, as if that was a bad thing. tbh i don’t think any of this was ever even about benning. it was just certain people really really hating gillis because he reminded of them of someone they hated in high school.

whatever larger culture war anyone wants to associate all this with, that’s up to them. but the dots are right there.

I would add to that to me it seemed like a lot of Benning adoration came specifically as a counterpoint to hating on Gillis. It was quite impressive the amount of investment against Gillis that came in from around the league, a lot of Canuck fans bought into it, then hooray Gillis gets fired and along comes Jim Benning who's the exact opposite of him. So that's good because Gillis sucked right?

And of course the reason Gillis gets brought up in these things half the time is as some sort of justification for Benning's lack of results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad