Management Thread | Edge of the day AFTER Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Loui likes it in Vancouver. Why would he agree to wave his NTC to go anywhere else?
Who the **** would want a acquire a 35+ year old 4th line winger who has zero offensive ability left (and I mean Gaunce could outscore him lol) who is STILL getting an actual cash salary of $3 million in the final year of his contract (21/22)? Even if he was only making the minimum wage, I'd give serious consideration of inserting Motte in the lineup over him.

Reactions: geebaan

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Loui likes it in Vancouver. Why would he agree to wave his NTC to go anywhere else?

It's only a 15team NTC so there's still half the league that he has no choice on. Also, if the Canucks are threatening to send him to Utica than anywhere in the NHL would be better than playing in the AHL.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Who the **** would want a acquire a 35+ year old 4th line winger who has zero offensive ability left (and I mean Gaunce could outscore him lol) who is STILL getting an actual cash salary of $3 million in the final year of his contract (21/22)? Even if he was only making the minimum wage, I'd give serious consideration of inserting Motte in the lineup over him.
I agree. Benning is stuck with his 6 million dollar man.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
As has been repeatedly noted here, the negotiation week was cut out of the current CBA, so we are back to ripe conditions for trading negotiating rights. And they did used to happen pretty frequently. And also, plenty of GMs are not very smart, we have seen this time and time again. This is a byproduct of nonsensically hiring almost exclusively from a pool of North American ex-players.

Should also note for good or bad it's really not up to the GM's holding the UFA rights whether they get some value or not. Every team gets UFA's they're going to lose and if they don't plan on signing them would love to recoup a pick for it. But really it's all up to the GM initiating the deal deciding 'I want that guy' and thinking if they acquire the rights they can ensure a deal gets done now.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Unless he is banking on there being no AHL this year than being paid to sit at home sounds pretty good.
No escrow in the AHL too. Loui gets 20% more take home pay if sent down. Really we are stuck with this Benning boat anchor.

Reactions: racerjoe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The writing is on the wall. He's been a frequent healthy scratch and Green is still the coach. If there is a team interested in him it might be a better opportunity for him than risking waivers. Like most players, Louie undoubtedly thinks he can still contribute to an NHL team. Everybody wants to be wanted and valued. So if there is a GM and coach who wants him that's going to be a strong consideration.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I wouldn't trade Boeser to Minnesota for anything less than a first round pick and Erikson Ek (toss in a B prospect or mid-range draft pick to go with Brock). Of course Minnesota would never do that unless Guerin is taking crazy pills. I find Dumba underwhelming especially considering his cap hit.

Something is off with the Canucks pro-scouting with respect to defensemen. They've traded for and signed a whole bunch and they've been pretty much all garbage except Stecher and Myers (with major caveats). Imagine what the defence would be like if they hadn't lucked out drafting Quinn Hughes. At least with forwards, you can point to Miller and Pearson as two good, recent acquisitions (great in the case of Miller) that might indicate an improvement in pro-scouting for forwards (although signing Ferland goes against that idea).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wouldn't trade Boeser to Minnesota for anything less than a first round pick and Erikson Ek (toss in a B prospect or mid-range draft pick to go with Brock). Of course Minnesota would never do that unless Guerin is taking crazy pills. I find Dumba underwhelming especially considering his cap hit.

Something is off with the Canucks pro-scouting with respect to defensemen. They've traded for and signed a whole bunch and they've been pretty much all garbage except Stecher and Myers (with major caveats). Imagine what the defence would be like if they hadn't lucked out drafting Quinn Hughes. At least with forwards, you can point to Miller and Pearson as two good, recent acquisitions (great in the case of Miller) that might indicate an improvement in pro-scouting for forwards (although signing Ferland goes against that idea).

Ek. We haven't had much luck with Erikssons.

Reactions: tradervik

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015

Goes back to the Gillis days as well (re: Ballard). Has the guys responsible (in addition to the GM) for that changed? Schenn was fairly good for what he was signed for.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Goes back to the Gillis days as well (re: Ballard). Has the guys responsible (in addition to the GM) for that changed? Schenn was fairly good for what he was signed for.

Schenn was traded for, and likely just included as a contract filler that happened to work out.

Gillis made numerous good additions to the defense, other than Ballard. Whatever the issue is, it's more recent.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Canucks trying to trade Eriksson

Shocker here..........apparently there is some hope/expectation amongst management that they can finally move him. It does sound somewhat feasible that this could happen - just wondering what the price is gonna be? Demko? (if that's the case that's a really hard pill to swallow - would much prefer Jake gone). JV I could probably live with - a draft pic(S) and/or prospect outside of HOGS and PODZ seems about the easiest to stomach.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I quoted your post about a GM not wanting to give up on an asset (ie., lose him for nothing).

1) Team not zero intentions of re-signing him
2) Team was going nowhere that season
3) Let him walk at the end of the season

Okay but the conversation was about when the season ended to free agent period. Gm don't usually give up an asset to negotiate earlier. You're talking about something else

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Loui gets money. He gets a free condo. He gets all the ice time he wants and he doesn't get hassled at all.

Loui is going to retire as one of the greatest Canucks of ALLLL time.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Loui gets money. He gets a free condo. He gets all the ice time he wants and he doesn't get hassled at all.

He'll retire when his banner gets unravelled from the rafters (his number *WILL* be retired).

*ONLY* NHLer to have his entrance music starting next season!

Reactions: mathonwy

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Eriksson got the least ice time of any regular on the team other than Schaller and Roussel.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I’d rather go after Pesce but he’s likely way too expensive.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Which means we get worse now, and in the future too, because we don’t have the prospect depth to sustain a winning team. It’s just so frustrating as a fan to see we finally have the elite young pieces to build around, but Benning screwed up the cap, so we can’t properly build around them. Really, we should be discussing possibly signing a much needed piece, like Pietrangelo, and not talking about which of our young players need to be wasted as sweetener to dump our toxic contracts.

Pietrangelo will get close to 10 M, Petey and Hughes if you sign long term. Will be close to 10 M as well. You want the Canucks to be the next Leafs and have 3 players around 40% of cap? Looks like you will have issues managing the cap as well.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is Dumba really that good to push us over the top?

His numbers seem underwhelming.

I don't think so but this talk about his numbers being underwhelming should stop. Prior to this season, Dumba has scored 10 or more goals in his previous 4 regular seasons. You know how many Canucks Dmen have scored 10 or more goals in a season in that timespan? One - Edler last season. In that timespan, the next best was Tanev who scored 12 goals during that time span TOTAL! Stecher and Hutton were next on the list with 11 goals. Hughes' 8 should obviously surpass those guys quickly.

As I posted in another thread, Dumba had 14 goals 50 points two seasons ago and produced 12 goals and 22 points in 32 games last season before he tore his pec muscle. Point is that prior to tearing his pec muscle, Dumba's "numbers" aren't underwhelming at all. The problem is that he hasn't been the same since his injury.

Reactions: David71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad