Management Thread | Edge of the day AFTER Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
The Habs signed Edmundson after trading a 5th rounder for his rights. Will that deal presage any more like it? Will Benning try to get something for any of the pending UFAs?

It would make sense to if he tables his best offer and a player declines why not move their rights for something...but he never did that in years past so can't see him getting smart all of a sudden. Just hope he can shed some unnecessary salary this off season so he can try and improve our team for next year, we bring back the same cast basically and we are in tough to make the playoffs potentially if other teams around us make some improvements

Reactions: lindgren

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Are there legit rumours indicating the Canucks are interested in Dumba or is it just fan projection? When I hear the Canucks are interested in a player, I'm reminded of this quote from Botchford just over 2 years ago:

Benning and John Weisbrod have been chasing big names for years. [The Erik Karlsson rumour] was just more of the same.

In just the past two years alone, the Canucks “checked in” on Tyson Barrie, Milan Lucic, Evander Kane, Noah Hanifin, Jeff Skinner, Steven Stamkos and PK Subban. The public pursuit of the last two players on the list led to Benning being fined by the league for tampering.

Benning and Weisbrod want to be in on everything they can so they spend a lot time making deals with themselves, one person in the NHL put it.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
This is going to be it guys. This is going to the the brightest it looks. I think bennings going to autograph killing this teams window over the next 3 months

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Are there legit rumours indicating the Canucks are interested in Dumba or is it just fan projection? When I hear the Canucks are interested in a player, I'm reminded of this quote from Botchford just over 2 years ago:

Benning and John Weisbrod have been chasing big names for years. [The Erik Karlsson rumour] was just more of the same.

In just the past two years alone, the Canucks “checked in” on Tyson Barrie, Milan Lucic, Evander Kane, Noah Hanifin, Jeff Skinner, Steven Stamkos and PK Subban. The public pursuit of the last two players on the list led to Benning being fined by the league for tampering.

Benning and Weisbrod want to be in on everything they can so they spend a lot time making deals with themselves, one person in the NHL put it.

There are legit rumors.

I still wonder if they're not interested in Subban. Package Eriksson and Beagle together and there is a zero net cap increase and New Jersey saves something like $10M cash.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
It would make sense to if he tables his best offer and a player declines why not move their rights for something...but he never did that in years past so can't see him getting smart all of a sudden. Just hope he can shed some unnecessary salary this off season so he can try and improve our team for next year, we bring back the same cast basically and we are in tough to make the playoffs potentially if other teams around us make some improvements

Trading the players rights is actually not very common. I don't even need to check the nhl trade list to know there are only probably a couple of these type of trades happened each year. So I guess a lot of gms are actually not very smart. Maybe you're smarter that most gms. I think it's not very common because teams get to talk to the player a week before free agent starts.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Ha ha ouch.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Honestly, I don't think Jimmy can do much.

It's going to be Markstrom or Toffoli and that's about it. I'd be very surprised if we sign a couple of FA given the cap.

Virtanen is definitely on the trade list and troy will only get a qualifying offer.

I know a lot of posters want our bottom garbage to be moved ( even at hearty price) but I just don't see it. Benning believes in this team and given what just happened in the playoffs, he's going to want to keep it intact.

We're going to run with pretty much the same roster as we saw in the playoffs

Reactions: Waveburner

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Trading the players rights is actually not very common. I don't even need to check the nhl trade list to know there are only probably a couple of these type of trades happened each year. So I guess a lot of gms are actually not very smart. Maybe you're smarter that most gms. I think it's not very common because teams get to talk to the player a week before free agent starts.
As has been repeatedly noted here, the negotiation week was cut out of the current CBA, so we are back to ripe conditions for trading negotiating rights. And they did used to happen pretty frequently. And also, plenty of GMs are not very smart, we have seen this time and time again. This is a byproduct of nonsensically hiring almost exclusively from a pool of North American ex-players.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
As has been repeatedly noted here, the negotiation week was cut out of the current CBA, so we are back to ripe conditions for trading negotiating rights. And they did used to happen pretty frequently. And also, plenty of GMs are not very smart, we have seen this time and time again. This is a byproduct of nonsensically hiring almost exclusively from a pool of North American ex-players.
No more than a small minority of UFAs have ever had their rights traded even when the negotiating week existed and it probably has very little to do with GMs being stupid. Also, the flat cap and reduced revenue/internal caps likely means that fewer teams will be signing multiple big free agents, which reduces the main incentive to trade for pending UFAs in the offseason, which is having the ability to negotiate with particular UFAs of interest and gauge their willingness to sign while retaining the ability to circle back to other UFAs later, including your own, if the player you traded for isn't interested in signing or wants too much money.

But yes -- Benning isn't doing a thing almost no other GM is doing either, and that means he's worse than those other GMs.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
No more than a small minority of UFAs have ever had their rights traded even when the negotiating week existed and it probably has very little to do with GMs being stupid. Also, the flat cap and reduced revenue/internal caps likely means that fewer teams will be signing multiple big free agents, which reduces the main incentive to trade for pending UFAs in the offseason, which is having the ability to negotiate with particular UFAs of interest and gauge their willingness to sign while retaining the ability to circle back to other UFAs later, including your own, if the player you traded for isn't interested in signing or wants too much money.

But yes -- Benning isn't doing a thing almost no other GM is doing either, and that means he's worse than those other GMs.

Says nobody.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
What can you tell us about Malholtra as a coach?
That he's a genuinely likeable, special human. HIs message seems to be really well-taken by the players. His biggest influence has been on faceoffs, where he has taken the Canucks from middling to the best faceoff team in the league.

And he's literally the only visible minority in a coaching role, which is both fantastic (in that he represents very well) and deeply saddening (in that he's the only).

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That he's a genuinely likeable, special human. HIs message seems to be really well-taken by the players. His biggest influence has been on faceoffs, where he has taken the Canucks from middling to the best faceoff team in the league.

And he's literally the only visible minority in a coaching role, which is both fantastic (in that he represents very well) and deeply saddening (in that he's the only).
Thanks for the info from another Leafs fan.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I remember when the Canucks first acquired Malhotra. There was a report that he was among the group in town early, and he was leading informal on-ice workouts. It seemed to me then a sign that this guy had some pretty powerful leadership chops, if that's the role he assumed despite being new to the team.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

No, it doesn't happened frequently. When you have a moment. Google Nhl trade history. First or second link. It will have all the trades yearly. Every year, I will say there are no more than 5 of those type of trades.

I think it's more to do with a gm don't want to give up an asset.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think it's more to do with a gm don't want to give up an asset.
Dan_Hamhuis_2011.jpg

Reactions: mathonwy

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

o_O ...I was addressing Canuck1096's comment presuming the negotiation still exists? Those trades all dried up once it was instituted since there was no longer any real advantage in getting early discussion rights. Now that the week has been scrapped, it is reasonable to expect some will return. And of course it was always a minority of UFAs, but the trades did happen, and started becoming more common in the years before the negotiation week was installed.

The comment about plenty of GMs being dumb was also in response to his comment, and wasn't about Benning or this issue in particular.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
When the season ended to free agent period? Send me a link on what other teams offered for Hamhuis rights?
I quoted your post about a GM not wanting to give up on an asset (ie., lose him for nothing).

1) Team not zero intentions of re-signing him
2) Team was going nowhere that season
3) Let him walk at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad