Management Discussion | Just Have a Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Not wanting to create dead cap because your management is stupid enough to retain salary or use a buyout is very reasonable. Rutherford is lucky he wasn't fired after he suggested that he was willing to cripple the franchise by doing so, especially after what he's done so far.

Francesco is that you? This is the among the most Pejorative Slured things I've seen on this forum in quite some time.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Sorry, but I’m not seeing the meddling by FA that you claim under JR..

..and the job of hiring a President is the owners

To be fair...
Fans are never privy to those information...
Even in previous regimes.
During the end of the Gillis era...
People felt he meddled...
But there was never solid proof.
It was always circumstantial evidence...
Mainly the sudden change in philosophy.

It is the same case here.
There is no clear evidence he meddled...
But this Boudreau situation...
And the lack of control from an old-school guy like Rutherford...
Was just weird.
My hunch is that there is an internal power struggle...
But I really have no solid proof.
I have just seen enough from past experience to know that there is more to it.

Reactions: mossey3535

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The notion that Fredolini is absolved of responsibilities is equally as invalid as doing the same to management.

Oh management can't do anything free because ownership won't let them. Then either they are a bunch of spineless cowards who need to be fired immediately, or their plan align with Fredolini's which will not result in any success, in which case they also need to be fired immediately.

Oh ownership can't be that meddling it's all incompetent management. Well, who is it that hired the management? Who is it that's allowing an incompetent fat baffoon to run the team for 7 goddamn years? And this is not just one management regime either, it's two. Of course this is ignoring the decades worth of rumors that Fredoilini had indeed been unable to keep his flippers away from team affairs, on top of other non-hockey related issues that all paint him as someone whose moral compass and judgement are thoroughly corrupted.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The notion that Fredolini is absolved of responsibilities is equally as invalid as doing the same to management.

Oh management can't do anything free because ownership won't let them. Then either they are a bunch of spineless p***yes who need to be fired immediately, or their plan align with Fredolini's which will not result in any success, in which case they also need to be fired immediately.

Oh ownership can't be that meddling it's all incompetent management. Well, who is it that hired the management? Who is it that's allowing an incompetent fat baffoon to run the team for 7 goddamn years? And this is not just one management regime either, it's two. Of course this is ignoring the decades worth of rumors that Fredoilini had indeed been unable to keep his flippers away from team affairs, on top of other non-hockey related issues that all paint him as someone whose moral compass and judgement are thoroughly corrupted.

Absolutely.

I lean towards spineless myself...
And I lost all respect for Rutherford...
To be honest.
He basically threw away all credibility he has built for 50 years...
For Aquilini.
:facepalm:

I hope the money is good.

I also focused on ownership...
Because this is the second regime change after the Gillis era...
And it just got worst.
The common denominator is clearly ownership...
And it is clear that it is the root of all issues.
Nothing will change under Aquilini.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I lost all respect for Rutherford...
To be honest.
He basically threw away all credibility he has built for 50 years...
For Aquilini.

I hope the money is good.

The only thing I see going for Moleman is that at the very least he's very straight forward. I think he is honest, but without reading minds or strapping his shrivel ass to a chair for a polygraph, I cannot tell for sure.

And to add to my previous points for people who are still thinking Fredolini is not to blame: when people are getting interviewed for GM/pres, do you think a question such as "what do you plan to do with the team" will come up? Consider Fredolini's made it clear as day that the fanbase can't tolerate rebuild (it's really HIM who can't tolerate rebuild), who do you think he will hire? The guy who wants to trade all the shit away for assets and start fresh with a solid foundation? Or the guy who shares Fredolini's delusion? And if he hired the latter, then backs off and say hey I'm not meddling, is that really valid evidence that he's not affecting the team's directions?

Reactions: nameless1

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The only thing I see going for Moleman is that at the very least he's very straight forward. I think he is honest, but without reading minds or strapping his shrivel ass to a chair for a polygraph, I cannot tell for sure.

And to add to my previous points for people who are still thinking Fredolini is not to blame: when people are getting interviewed for GM/pres, do you think a question such as "what do you plan to do with the team" will come up? Consider Fredolini's made it clear as day that the fanbase can't tolerate rebuild (it's really HIM who can't tolerate rebuild), who do you think he will hire? The guy who wants to trade all the shit away for assets and start fresh with a solid foundation? Or the guy who shares Fredolini's delusion? And if he hired the latter, then backs off and say hey I'm not meddling, is that really valid evidence that he's not affecting the team's directions?

I absolutely agree with you.
I still think Rutherford is spineless myself.
It is hard to build a 50 plus years of reputation...
And he threw it all away.

I am honestly shocked more than anything.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
They were in Vegas for the purpose of meeting Tochett.

Based on the way that things have been done over the last decade, how is it surprising that ownership is still hands on?
Aqualini travelling to Vegas with JR isnt meddling...Aqualini meeting Rick Tochett isnt meddling..None of these things affect the trajectory of JR's decision to hire an ex employee of the Pittsburgh Penguins..I dont believe for a second he's going to advise JR on how to run the hockey club.

Aqualini telling Dave Nonis to trade Ryan Kesler is meddling...Aqualini denying Mike Gillis a rebuild in 2013 is meddling...Aqualini nixing trades is meddling..Aqualini hiring John Tortorella is meddling..These are hockey ops decisions.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
First of all those layoffs were shitty and you're being somewhat flippant here regarding them and the impact they had to those staff members and their families. Additionally - yeah he spends to the cap however at the same time he's loathe to retain on salary, loathe to use buy outs, and of course the delay in the Boudreau firing came down to reluctance to pay 3 coaches at the same time. His approach to expenses / salary is weird and contradictory and he still has no grasp on the normal current expenses of a major league NA sports team and this ignorance is one of several issues killing this franchise.
Boudreau gets this years full pay no matter what..Its a guaranteed contract..That had nothing to do with the timing /delay of his firing.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Aqualini travelling to Vegas with JR isnt meddling...Aqualini meeting Rick Tochett isnt meddling..None of these things affect the trajectory of JR's decision to hire an ex employee of the Pittsburgh Penguins..I dont believe for a second he's going to advise JR on how to run the hockey club.

Aqualini telling Dave Nonis to trade Ryan Kesler is meddling...Aqualini denying Mike Gillis a rebuild in 2013 is meddling...Aqualini nixing trades is meddling..Aqualini hiring John Tortorella is meddling..These are hockey ops decisions.
What kind of organization requires the Chairmain and President to travel and meet in order to hire the head coach of a pro hockey team? What exactly does the GM do in this scenario?

Stop defending incompetence.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
What kind of organization requires the Chairmain and President to travel and meet in order to hire the head coach of a pro hockey team? What exactly does the GM do in this scenario?

Yea there is maybe some reason for JR to go since they have a history. It is part of a GMs job to hire/fire coaches and Alvin didnt even go, but our for sure non meddling owner had to tag along for some reason

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

So what if they met up in Vegas and both met Tochett..Where is Aqualini meddling..?..Nowhere...Aqualini being there didn't affect Rutherfords decision one way or the other.

There's no incompetence or meddling in this regard.

If I owned a hockey team, and a prospective coach was available who wanted $2.75M x 3 years..You bet I would like to meet him him first...I have to personally write that check, not the hockey team.

Last edited:

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver

Why does he feel the need to be there at all for these types of things?

If he's consistently involved in the "day-to-day", then imho it starts to become a form of meddling. Its almost like he wants to be a part of the gang and feel like a special member of the management staff.

He shouldn't even be in the spotlight with his current image.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why does he feel the need to be there at all for these types of things?

If he's consistently involved in the "day-to-day", then imho it starts to become a form of meddling. Its almost like he wants to be a part of the gang and feel like a special member of the management staff.

He shouldn't even be in the spotlight with his current image.
Its his team, he can be anywhere he wants to be.

I honestly dont think he's involved in the team as much since he has a President (who is in charge of the hockey ops direction).

He barely tweets anymore , he doesn't seem to be in the spotlight at all since JR took over.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I don't have a problem on this one. This is clearly JR's pick and JR's alone. Aqulini attending the meeting and approving the coach doesn't change that.

I doubt aqulini would know anything about low profile coach picks like Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote. A big name coach like Torts or Bordeau, that's something he would do. Low profile coaches are coming from management (like Willie D or Green).

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Its his team, he can be anywhere he wants to be.

I honestly dont think he's involved in the team as much since he has a President who is in charge of the hockey ops direction.

He barely tweets anymore , he doesn't seem to be in the spotlight since JR took over.
He comes across as an immature school boy who wants to play with his toys.

And he doesn't tweet anymore because he gets absolutey roasted every time he does. He can't handle criticism and certainly not the truth.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He comes across as an immature school boy who wants to play with his toys.

And he doesn't tweet anymore because he gets absolutey roasted every time he does. He can't handle criticism and certainly not the truth.
How many other owners of sports franchises have been accused of that ?

He gets roasted and ridiculed on his tweets consistently (especially if he says anything positive)..As far he cant handle criticism or the truth, we dont really have a lot to go on..He sporadically does interviews

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah...
Do you expect a 51 year old ex-athlete...
Who have been retired for a decade-plus...
To beat up a 30 year old who is in his prime?
:laugh:

The only instance where someone who is over 20 years older won was Nolan Ryan...
Who at 46 put a then 26 year old Ventura in a headlock...
But he was still an active player back then.

To borrow from The Simpsons...
It is funny...
Because it is true.

I am not sure about the free reign part...
And I think the old country chef lost more than taste...
Since he also has trouble with the language...
But the rest of it is apt.
I don’t know, those guys are still pretty tough. You lose stamina and recovery as you age more than strength.

And a lot of times, it’s the first strike that counts.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Boudreau gets this years full pay no matter what..Its a guaranteed contract..That had nothing to do with the timing /delay of his firing.

The only thing the team does "save" is on Tocchet + assistant coaches' pro-rated salary.

There were some here who looked at the schedule and predicted when Boudreau would be fired. It seems both Boudreau and the players kind of knew it too, despite the fact that Boudreau wasn't told he had been fired until this morning.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
How many other owners of sports franchises have been accused of that ?

He gets roasted and ridiculed on his tweets consistently (especially if he says anything positive)..As far he cant handle criticism or the truth, we dont really have a lot to go on..He sporadically does interviews
He's turned off comments for most of his new posts.

He can't handle the onslaught of disgruntled fans anymore.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

The price of all this​

The players behind the scenes are furious at what’s gone on.
Everyone knows the crucial re-signing that looms large over the next 18 months. How will Elias Pettersson feel about the organization’s plan going forward?

But beyond that, how hard will it be to recruit free agents going forward?

One league source suggested agents will want at least a 25 per cent premium over what’s offered elsewhere.

25% seems low for the “Aquilini premium”, honestly.
People seem to scoff at this number but I think there already was a premium to sign in the high tax Vancouver.
~20% doesn't seem that far off.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wow. Shilling for Frido. Colour me surprised.
Colour me surprised that you're not bitching about everything/everyone.....?..winsome,loathesome

Aqualini is not entirely the villain here..All the dysfunctionallity is not squarely on him.

Might be time for you to maybe investigate a bit before coming to radical conclusions there,bro…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino