Management Discussion | Just Have a Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The only way to fix this team is to fire JT Miller into the sun. His angry reaction on the bench when that goal where Martin was interfered would be fine is his own performance was up to snuff but this is a guy who clearly blames his teammates for everything when it goes wrong but doesn't own up when he's the problem like in the dying seconds when he makes zero effort on the empty net goal. Just his body language shows he's the cancer in the room. Get this guy out of here even if you need to take back a bad contract and trade Horvat for a haul. Buy out OEL in the summer and trade Myers with 50% retained. Need to build around Pettersson and Hughes.
I have to agree...I've played with guys like that and they are exhausting to be around. I get it, you're angry...so is everyone, slamming your stick, screaming and acting a fool doesn't mean you care more than anyone else...especially when it never positively affects how you play...if he got mad and hulked out by scoring more goals, backchecking harder and was generally a better player because of it, fill your boots and become The Ultimate Warrior...but I've yet to see that in his case...and it would seem to be more of an annoyance to his teammates than anything positive.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I'm so far beyond even debating or much caring about the moves of this management group.

The Aquilini ownership of this franchise is like the poisoned chalice. As fans you can either drink the kool-aid or just walk away.

Why isn't there greater calling for Rutherford and Allvin's heads? This is just more of the same isn't it? Did anyone really think things were going to be any different? And who's koolaid was that?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Rutherford and Allvin really were going to own up to their mistakes, they should have traded Miller by now.

But they are full of shit.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Why isn't there greater calling for Rutherford and Allvin's heads? This is just more of the same isn't it? Did anyone really think things were going to be any different? And who's koolaid was that?

Does anyone even care enough for that?

Like, people are up in arms about the Boudreau saga because it's brutal to watch a good guy get left flapping in the wind like this and it's a good opportunity to shit all over the bad guys, but does anyone really actually give a serious shit about this team at this point, or believe that there's any realistic likelihood of any type of legitimately positive action in the near future? If so, why?

It'd be cool to see sweaters just rain down at puck drop next game or whatever, but does anyone really even care?

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Does anyone even care enough for that?

Like, people are up in arms about the Boudreau saga because it's brutal to watch a good guy get left flapping in the wind like this and it's a good opportunity to shit all over the bad guys, but does anyone really actually give a serious shit about this team at this point, or believe that there's any realistic likelihood of any type of legitimately positive action in the near future? If so, why?

So those fans are not going to own up to that when they constantly rubbing it in Benning supporters faces... lol, what a surprise. They got what they wanted, time to show support for new management!

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So those fans are not going to own up to that when they constantly rubbing it in Benning supporters faces... lol, what a surprise. They got what they wanted, time to show support for new management!

Yes, the Benning supporters are the real heroes here.

Reactions: Vector

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
No, we wanted good management, not Benning 2.0. You can blame it on ownership but signing JT Miller over Horvat is a Benning-esque move, signing Ilya Mikheyev to that contract has Benning written all over it. The same ineptitude I criticized on Benning and Weisbrod is the exact same crap that Rutherford and Allvin have. Got it or do you need a drawing?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
My reaction as I listen to this press conference:

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 6.17.01 PM.png

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Again, if ownership is telling Benning what to do, WHAT THE EFF DOES IT EVEN MATTER?!
Spisa
Eriksson
Beagle
Roussel
Baertschi
Sutter

All contracts that were way over price in $ and term (to name a few). OEL trade is, not even arguably, the worst in team history. Ownership might have said they want to win now, approved maximum cap spending, pressured management to get players in to help now, and thus prevented a rebuild. Only Benning is responsible for putting that max cap team together that couldn't make the playoffs...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Seems like I'm in the minority. I thought the Press Conference went ok. Wasn't perfect but these things are always going to be about cliches and generalizations.
I actually liked some of the things RT had to say. My sense is that the players will be more accountable, competitive attitudes will be rewarded, and that harder to play against team might be coming soon (just not before the draft positioning please :) ) .

The funniest part of the conference was when Allvin said that Tocchet wasn't the smartest guy in the room. I know he was drawing on that old adage that "if you're the smartest guy in the room, you're in the wrong room". But it came off as if he was calling Tocchet dumb. He tried to recover by saying neither am I but, to late, I was already laughing.

Reactions: m9

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
May be an unpopular opinion here, but I think that Aqualini gets way too much flack as an owner of the Canucks.

Obviously , there are publicized issues regarding his personal life ,or that of his family business.

Relatively speaking, he's a Canuck fan, and mostly hasn't been a cheap owner (except in the covid year when he had to lay off a multitude of people).

I think that FA hired Rutherford so he could completely keep his nose out of the hockey ops, and leave it in the hands of a veteran team President (well intentioned) ..He felt compelled to defend Benning because he believed that eventually that JB's management would pull through.

I believe that FA's intentions for this team have been genuine (in the hiring of JR)....but the entire thing has blown up in owners/ managements faces this season.

I dont think anybody anticipated that the Canucks would be this inept this season.

Edit :...I forgot to add that I believe FA's most egregious mistake was not allowing Gillis the opportunity to rebuild the team in 2013...To carry on with the declining Sedin core....Linden was on board with this in 2014, and he hired Benning to see it through.

Last edited:
Reactions: theguardianII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad