Management Discussion | Just Have a Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

By this type of absolutely basic logic Gretzky would have been the greatest coach in history. Hopefully management does not actually think this.

Ok but to be fair both Foote and Gonchar have coaching experience. Foote failed as a WHL head coach but that doesn't mean he isn't a good assistant. Gonchar has a lot of coaching and development experience with both Russia and the Penguins.

Also they fired one assistant and hired two, which would seem to me as a way to cover for the relative inexperience of Foote.

I don't know what the situation with Gonchar being "part time" is but I hope it works in terms of basically hiring an assistant coach who has a built-in mentor.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ok but to be fair both Foote and Gonchar have coaching experience. Foote failed as a WHL head coach but that doesn't mean he isn't a good assistant. Gonchar has a lot of coaching and development experience with both Russia and the Penguins.

Also they fired one assistant and hired two, which would seem to me as a way to cover for the relative inexperience of Foote.

I don't know what the situation with Gonchar being "part time" is but I hope it works in terms of basically hiring an assistant coach who has a built-in mentor.

I actually love the Gonchar hire and Foote will probably be OK. They were both smart Dmen in their playing days. Saying Foote has coaching experience is a bit stretching it though. He was head coach for the Rockets for less than 2 years and that's pretty much it. That's less "coaching experience" than Jason King.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Gonchar imo is a fantastic addition. He has a solid track record with Dmen working for the Pens.

I find it odd that he will apparently be working remotely. Why does there have to always be something?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Remote coaching is probably fine if done properly. It's not like Gonchar has to teach the players physical skills. Even if he did he could probably show videos and review video to see if players understand those concepts as these are still high level athletes who have played for a very long time. I assume most of his coaching will be more about the theory side of playing defence and the concepts that go into that, as well as analyzing what players are deficient in to direct them on what they should focus on.

Actually, I've thought for a long time that the idea the coach needs to be right there with the player to be able to work with them is a little antiquated. I think it could even hold some coaches and players back who could provide real deep insights into the game and the things holding those players back if they were given the chance to focus on that instead of standing around on the ice directing drills or watching the game on the bench.

If the Canucks do this right, I think it's could actually be very good. But, it's the Canucks so I'm ready to be disappointed when it turns out they implement it in a very stupid Canucks way.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I’ll take Lebrun’s opinion over a random, arrogant HF poster who seems to be of the ilk that supported the last trash management regime.
I don't think it was Lebrun's opinion, it was what one agent said to him, right? So already it's speculation, at the very least beyond that person's stable of clients. Then we also know it's hyperbole. You really think a 6 million dollar player turns down 7 million a year because it's not 7.5?

Now, the point stands that if we have to pay any premium that's potentially crippling and speaks to how our management/ownership shitshow is viewed around the league. But nodding your head along with the idea that we will be paying a 25% increase across the board is just needless masochism. Up there with the people who chime in every time EP comes up with, "His agent said he wants to win! He's gone for sure!"

It's possible Petey leaves, but acting like it's a forgone conclusion is just harming yourself emotionally for no reason. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he stays.

Reactions: mossey3535

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Is that why Aquilini and Rutherford went to Vegas for Tocchet when coaching decisions are a GMs job?
This is just naive. You don't think a team President has input? Think Lamariello left it to Dubas to hire coaches when they were together in Toronto?

It's also not uncommon for an owner to be involved in a coaching hire. I think it's fair for a prospective hire to have questions answered immediately that only the owners can answer with impunity.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Colour me surprised that you're not bitching about everything/everyone.....?..winsome,loathesome

Aqualini is not entirely the villain here..All the dysfunctionallity is not squarely on him.

Might be time for you to maybe investigate a bit before coming to radical conclusions there,bro…
Hey, I'm honestly sorry if I've hurt your feelings with any of my comments here. My intention may be to rub some of you the wrong way, but it's chat board stuff.

As for the Aqua-berries, of course not everything is squarely on him. His family is losing a crap load of money on this team due in no small part because of what seems to be his influence. Given all the evidence and spending, I can't for the life of me understand how this guy gets called cheap. At the same time, I completely understand the frustration posters have with the organization, because it's run very poorly, so if Fredo gets tarred unfairly with a few brush strokes in a chat, who cares?

I'm bitching here because the present state of this club has been telegraphed for years. It's like watching an accident in slow motion, where you actually care about those getting hurt. I'm a slow learner and don't like change. I was pissed when Burke was replaced with Nonis. I thought Nonis should have been given another year. I didn't understand letting Gillis go, but got behind Benning because I thought maybe he'd get a more favorable turn at the table with the league. It took me a few years to finally clue in that Benning and Linden were incompetent and when they re-upped Benning I stopped posting here (I did lurk) until Benning was fired. I couldn't abide the support management from so many posters, media and talking heads around the league. I absolutely lacked the patience to argue endlessly about how things were all going to be fine.

Resigning Miller broke something with my support for this new group ... and while I understood why Boeser was given another chance, I'm gutted that he's doing nothing to show that he was worth his contract. So, now I'm part of the impatient group, in that I just want intelligent people making intelligent moves. I don't expect everything to work out, but at least the goal should make sense, even if they fall short.

Even with all this, when I watch a game, I can't help but want them to win. After the last decade, I am quick to get bitter, and the tag "winsome, loathsome" is a play on "win some, lose some", so just yes, a bit of a frustrated joke on being a fan.

I make fun of your posts because your hockey takes, particularly during the Benning years, were imo, awful. No matter how often you were proven wrong, you rarely if ever admitted to being wrong. Plus you called out a lot of posters for not being fans because they didn't support Benning, which is pretty lame.

I think my negativity with this team is well earned, but I'll listen to what you've shared here and see if I can tone it down.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
As for the Aqua-berries, of course not everything is squarely on him. His family is losing a crap load of money on this team due in no small part because of what seems to be his influence. Given all the evidence and spending, I can't for the life of me understand how this guy gets called cheap. At the same time, I completely understand the frustration posters have with the organization, because it's run very poorly, so if Fredo gets tarred unfairly with a few brush strokes in a chat, who cares?

They bought the team for ~150-250million.

The team is now worth ~900million.

Reactions: quat and mossey3535

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Boudreau gets this years full pay no matter what..Its a guaranteed contract..That had nothing to do with the timing /delay of his firing.

Didn’t it? The delay may have been caused by reluctance - of course he gets his salary regardless. I suspect he finally signed off on firing him as the situation was just unsustainable, but this could explain why this whole Boudreau saga played out the way it did.

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I'm not sure why there is so much enthusiasm around the Gonchar hire? Sure, it sounds like he's had some success with Pittsburgh but I don't know how well zoom teaching defense works, I would think you would want to be on the ice with these guys on a regular basis going over details...details that need to be shown and not talked about. What we currently have needs serious attention, not casual, long distance tweaking.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The day we lose horvat and I don’t care how good the trade is, is the lowest point in Canuck history by far.

Reactions: rypper

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The day we lose horvat and I don’t care how good the trade is, is the lowest point in Canuck history by far.
I think people said the same thing about losing Trevor Linden...that turned into Bertuzzi, McCabe and Jarkko Ruutu, which turned into Daniel Sedin and Roberto Luongo and then Markstrom and then nothing thanks to Benning...however, losing Bo Horvat is unfortunate but if the trade is good, it will ease the pain. Trading Bo Horvat will NOT be the lowest point in Canuck history...not even close.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At some point, when you consistently flirt with salary-cap hell as the Canucks did under Benning, the piper has to be paid. And that price is basically being forced to trade Horvat.

My only complaint was that they signed Boeser and Miller first, and then ran out of money for Horvat.....the way I see it, Horvat is twice as valuable as either of those two guys.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Yea there is maybe some reason for JR to go since they have a history. It is part of a GMs job to hire/fire coaches and Alvin didnt even go, but our for sure non meddling owner had to tag along for some reason
This is just naive. You don't think a team President has input? Think Lamariello left it to Dubas to hire coaches when they were together in Toronto?

It's also not uncommon for an owner to be involved in a coaching hire. I think it's fair for a prospective hire to have questions answered immediately that only the owners can answer with impunity.
So if the Chairman and President are both needed to hire a HC...when it comes time to firing the coach does the GM have the authority or not? And if not what role does the GM actually play?

Reactions: Bubbles

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
if Canucks management want to win in this market they have to control the narrative, do that by pouring resources into story telling and content creation. It's pretty evident since the Gillis era, that national media has no problem dunking on the Canucks when there is an opportunity.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Of course that is the messaging that JR/Allvin would want leaked.

And wait a minute...I thought Canucks' policy was to turf anyone who leaked anything to the media? Isn't that why they had to fire Doerrie? Who leaked this?
surely you can see why management would want to control what gets leaked to the media instead of a low level employee, right?

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad