Malkin is out for the semifinal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
FLYLine88 said:
Malkin though tried (and did?) kick a player, which is a definite intent to injure (match penatly)....and I believe IIHF rules that is an automatic 1 game suspension.

He tried to kick, but never made contact. Some people here think he should have made contact and given Lecavalier a serious facial injury to warrant the suspension. On the replay, he bends his leg then extends his leg...a kicking motion. I don't think he would try to injure Vinny, just his emotions got the best of him and in a game that intense there are going to be some scrums with a lot of emotion. Lecavalier has done it before if I remember right. Hopefully, Malkin learns from it and doesn't do again. Luckily, no one was seriously injured. He has to learn there are better ways to protect yourself than trying to kick someone.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rule-wise it's crystal-clear:

If the ref saw him try to kick an opponent, it's an automatic match penalty under IIHF rules. It's totally irrelevant if he connects with the kick or not.

Match penalty means automatic 1 game suspension and directorate review of the incident with possible lenghtier suspension.

Whether the ref made the right call or not is debatable; the Ruutu hit was an example of ref making the call without the aid of slow-mo video replays which show the hit to be clean technically.

MrAlfie

blamebettman said:
It looked like a knee to the air. Malkin was down and getting punched, so you'd better lay stiff as a board and let Lecavalier pound away, any sort or reaction means a suspension under IIHF rules.

look... i think youve made your standpoint clear.. you dont like the international hockey stage and their rules.. NHL is da best yadayadayada.. but again.. noone said he shouldve taken a beating from lecavalier without any reaction.
we all saw he punched him, but he couldve done alot of other things for retaliation..
for instance punch him right back , worst thing that couldve happened wouldve been a 2 mins roughing call (maybe +2 if he broke his nose and drew some blood).
he was stupid by TRYING TO KICK him , now lets all hope he learns from this and we are all gonna be happy to see him in the finals and in the nhl next year.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Malkin got punched in the face and Vinny had his glove and stick in his hand, and Malkin only tried to push Vinny away imo. This doesn't warrant a suspension imo, the kick wasn't really a dangerous kick, it was more an attempt to push Vinny than to kick him.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Man this suspension really hurts our chances...

But, I've got to say, it just does not matter at this point, like the goal Canada could've scored if not for the whistle. A ref made a call, Malkin is suspended, we still have to win the next game, no excuses.

Personally, I think both the rule and the call are pretty weak. A matter like this should be reviewed by a commission, instead of an automatic suspension based on what the ref saw in the heat of the moment. Especially at this level of competition...

I think this was a simple "Get off me" leg motion. No way was he aiming for anything, no way he had any intent to injure, a guy was on top of him and he did whatever was instinctive to get him off. He lost his cool, in that sense. It is understandable, but he put himself in a situation in which a ref had to make some call.

In the end, life is not fair: the rulebook is not perfect, neither are the refs, neither is Malkin's composure. He battled extremely hard like everybody else, and had the misfortune of getting caught in a grey area. The ref also had a difficult decision to make, and he made one, maybe not a wise one but certainly understandable.

There's nobody to blame, shiit happens. This was a victory for the ages!, so lets not whine about it. This team is good enough to beat Finland, and if we do, we'll get a rested and angry Malkin for the finals. Lets go!

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I don't see why people are anoyed by this. The NHL and the IIHF have a clear policy when it comes to kicking an oponent, do not do it or you WILL be suspended. Havlat got 5 games for kicking Hal Gill in the groin despite having Gill's gloves in his face and falling over the net. And shockingly enough I don't remember a SINGLE poster saying Havlat shouldn't get suspended. So what has changed here?

Egil said:
I don't see why people are anoyed by this. The NHL and the IIHF have a clear policy when it comes to kicking an oponent, do not do it or you WILL be suspended. Havlat got 5 games for kicking Hal Gill in the groin despite having Gill's gloves in his face and falling over the net. And shockingly enough I don't remember a SINGLE poster saying Havlat shouldn't get suspended. So what has changed here?
I stated this earlier in the thread... but I think it should be emphasized.. :clap:

MrAlfie

Egil said:

you know people age and eyesight is slowly fading away....
how you can miss the kicking motion is beyond me... and how this is a weak call i dont understand.
the ref is watching both closely all the time.. hes behind the goal... game is whistled down and he observes them.. through the whole incident.
he catched vinnies punch, and he catched evegenis attempted kick.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Pepper said:

If the ref saw him try to kick an opponent, it's an automatic match penalty under IIHF rules. It's totally irrelevant if he connects with the kick or not.

Match penalty means automatic 1 game suspension and directorate review of the incident with possible lenghtier suspension.

Whether the ref made the right call or not is debatable; the Ruutu hit was an example of ref making the call without the aid of slow-mo video replays which show the hit to be clean technically.

This is 100% correct, and it is the same rule in any hockey league, NHL, WHL, NCAA, Youth Hockey etc.

Ill still disagree with you on the 2nd half of your post thought. ;)

aceshigh81

Aug 14, 2004
Finland
Pepper said:

Exactly. There was no reason to give Ruutu any extra-punishments, correct if I´m wrong but czecks didn´t even reported it. In this case, Malkin made a kicking move >>> ref saw it >>> was forced to give a match penalty >>> it´s automatic one game misconduct. This shouldn´t be so hard to understand.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I said it was weak because the reason we have refs is to be able to moderate the rulebook in close, pressure-packed games. This was not a kick to injure, the resulting suspension is too harsh for what happened. Don't whine about "whatif he kicked harder or his skate was closer to Vincent's face"... it was not a kick meant to injure, it did not injure, it was a reaction in the heat of battle, so I'm never going to agree that it is the appropriate punishment, to suspend a player for Olympics' semis.

But you missed the whole point of my post. I am not pissed off by the call, or annoyed, I'm just saying lets move on. I have my opinion on the call, but I have no problem with it just like i have no problem with some rut in the ice that causes a bad bounce. I am not going to discuss it anymore - I am just calling on other Team Russia fans to save their energy for cheering, not criticizing what can't be changed. The more adversity this team has to deal with, the greater its victories will be! Lets let others cry about what could have been!

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Tuggy said:
I don't understand why people have a problem with this. He tried to kick Lecavilier in the face with his skate
Maybe because he didn’t?

Lecavilier_4 said:
The fact REMAINS, that there was an INTENT to injure..
LoL, I was thinking ‘what the hell is this guy saying!?!? Clear intent to injure????’ then I realized your nickname (btw, you got it wrong)

MrAlfie said:
the facts speak for themself.. Malkin got suspended... so looks like youre wrong...

oh and i agree with you... the announcer didnt say anything about the incident.. and as we all know announcers never make mistakes and are never biased...
..and as we all know referees never make mistakes :lol:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
artilector said:
it was not a kick meant to injure, it did not injure, it was a reaction in the heat of battle, so I'm never going to agree that it is the appropriate punishment, to suspend a player for Olympics' semis.

Doesn't matter whether it was meant to injure or not (and that's impossible to say in most cases anyway), the rule is clear; try to kick an opponent -> match penalty -> 1 game suspension.

MrAlfie

helicecopter said:
Maybe because he didn’t?

LoL, I was thinking ‘what the hell is this guy saying!?!? Clear intent to injure????’ then I realized your nickname (btw, you got it wrong)

..and as we all know referees never make mistakes :lol:

they make alota mistakes, specially in this olympics and this nhl season, but the ref was right to give him the match penalty.

you can "lol" all you want , it doesnt make it less right.
malkin attempts kick + ref sees it = match penalty = malkin missing the semis.

he sure did not try to injure him, it was in the heat of the moment and it was a reaction.. i dont think anyones saying anything different (cept for some who have no idea what they are talking about), but its still a dumb move that deserves to be penalyzed. it was penalyzed period.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
When did Malkin kick Lecavalier? I watched the replay like 20 times already and still can't point it out. Was it when they were down on the ice??

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
MrAlfie said:
you can "lol" all you want ,.
I was laughing at your supposed proof that Jacobv2 was wrong..cause it was far from being a proof.

MrAlfie said:
it doesnt make it less right.
malkin attempts kick + ref sees it = match penalty = malkin missing the semis.
as i said before, someone trying to kick someone else face with his skate would deserve a much harsher punishment.

But it's not like he was free to move and kicked Lecavalier near his face, the referee was keeping his upper body, the leg was his only free part to push away Vinny after he gave him the punch.. it didn't come close Vinny's face and didn't risk to injure the opponent.

Now that i think of that, could be a good tactic to send off an important player of your opponents..while his arms are blocked by the referee punch him! one of his leg would eventually move in reaction... :shakehead

MrAlfie

helicecopter said:
But it's not like he was free to move and kicked Lecavalier near his face, the referee was keeping his upper body, the leg was his only free part to push away Vinny after he gave him the punch.. it didn't come close Vinny's face and didn't risk to injure the opponent.

youre saying this as if malkin is peewee herman and the ref is hulk...

ever been in a situation like this?
when you are tied down like malkin was you get mad and you make aprupt movements, therefore its hard to control someones upper body.. that means if malkin tried to get out of this lock, you definitly wouldve seen a much different movement.
i know theres nothing that will convince you that he DID try to kick lecavalier, not even a clear video (proof enough), but i stand by my opinion which is malkin attempted to kick.
im not saying he attempted to injure but he attempted to kick him.
now the point isnt that his skate was "anywhere near his face" , the point is that it vinnie and malkin were makin out and gettin into 69 position, and you dont kick in that situation because the possibility that you hit the head,throat,eye,whatever is very high. and this rule is there to prevent something like this ever happening.
it was a good call.

Puck33

Aug 7, 2005
Lakewood
Lorenzo1000 said:
rapidshare.de/files/13905158/malkin-lecavalier.avi.html

Have you watched this??? :dunno:

He tried to kick Lecavilier in the face with his skate ???

It has nothing to do with who won the game. The Russians deserved to win, they played well and wanted it more.

I don't think he was trying to kick him in the face dude after vinny took his free shot with the ref covering malkin, he was trying to get vinny away so he couldn't hit him again.The ref did a poor job of protecting malkin who was on his back defenseless.(nice cheap shot by vinny though)

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
MrAlfie said:
youre saying this as if malkin is peewee herman and the ref is hulk...
Hey, hey, Malkin is down on his back and more imporatntly the one over him is the referee, he can't do anything against him..so he moves his leg..he pushes him away with his knee on his chest (with a kick, if a push with the leg is a kick for you).

MrAlfie said:
im not saying he attempted to injure but he attempted to kick him.
now the point isnt that his skate was "anywhere near his face" , the point is that it vinnie and malkin were makin out and gettin into 69 position, and you dont kick in that situation because the possibility that you hit the head,throat,eye,whatever is very high.
Would have they been in a or close to a 69 position i would agree with you.

MrAlfie

helicecopter said:
Hey, hey, Malkin is down on his back and more imporatntly the one over him is the referee, he can't do anything against him..so he moves his leg..he pushes him away with his knee on his chest (with a kick, if a push with the leg is a kick for you).

Would have they been in a or close to a 69 position i would agree with you.

sheesh....
it was a kick :teach:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Lecavilier_4 said:
Because we would like to see no one injured. Odd eh? (I threw the EH? in there just for you)

I am sure if a Canadian player had of kicked Malkin... YOU would pretty steamed about it...
Only if he did it on purpose. My whole argument here is I saw no distinct kicking mot- Wait. I just noticed your username. Nevermind.

The NHL and the IIHF have a clear policy when it comes to kicking an oponent, do not do it or you WILL be suspended.
There doesn't seem to be any argument that kicking someone doesn't warrant a suspension. There is a large faction in this thread that is questioning whether or not it was even an attempted kick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad