Malkin is out for the semifinal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fryer

Sep 1, 2005
I finally saw the replay. The only thing it convinced me of is that Vinnie Lecavalier indeed played in this game as I did notice him during the previous 59 minutes of play...

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Hockeyfan02 said:
I don't think he would try to injure Vinny, just his emotions got the best of him and in a game that intense there are going to be some scrums with a lot of emotion.

Well bertuzzi sucker-punched Moore because of emotions :sarcasm:

that's a really weak excuse if you ask me...

Dirty and thats it... thank god, the kick didnt connect...

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
You guys need to get off of this...the posters saying that there was no intent are no better than those that said Bertuzzi tripped on the stick. Get over it already.

He did it, he is suspended! Those that were saying Havlat deserved the five games are forgetting because it effects their teams chances in the semis...which it could effect the outcome. BUT as a Senators fan I know it effects the outcome (see how the Sens did without Havlat) but the players need to realize your skate blad is very dangerous and can cause a LOT of damage whether intentional or not. Fan of the team or not take your lumps and stop making excuses. :shakehead

Puck33

Aug 7, 2005
Lakewood
ladybugblue said:
You guys need to get off of this...the posters saying that there was no intent are no better than those that said Bertuzzi tripped on the stick. Get over it already.

He did it, he is suspended! Those that were saying Havlat deserved the five games are forgetting because it effects their teams chances in the semis...which it could effect the outcome. BUT as a Senators fan I know it effects the outcome (see how the Sens did without Havlat) but the players need to realize your skate blad is very dangerous and can cause a LOT of damage whether intentional or not. Fan of the team or not take your lumps and stop making excuses. :shakehead

But But But....arguing is what we do! :D

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
ladybugblue said:
the posters saying that there was no intent are no better than those that said Bertuzzi tripped on the stick.
Give me a ****in' break, lady.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
pjbth said:
Malkin is a kicking, cry-baby little girl. :cry:

This again? Can people please come up with another third grade saying about this Pens' prospect. Show a bit of creativity of even effort people. Please.

BCCHL inactive

helicecopter said:
The point is the match penalty was undeserved and to suspend Malkin for an Olympics semifinal for what happened on the ice is a ridiculous decision, embarassing for the whole IIHF.

He tried to kick Lecavalier. How can you say the penalty was undeserved?

It's not embarassing for the IIHF. They didn't suspend him, the rulebook did.

blamebettman said:
Wow, I guess this is Russia's punishment for beating Canada. Not only was is a phantom call, it's a phantom suspension as well. Was anybody watching the way Koharski called the US-Russia game and then the US-Finland game. There's been a ton of pro north american bias going on.

:dunce:

blamebettman said:
through bitter canadian loser glasses it is.

:dunce:

wildone26 said:
Sorry but that is a ridiculous decision, what he did warranted a 5 minute penalty, not a game misconduct

Go read the ****ing rulebook. A referee cannot give a 5-minute major for kicking. It has to be a Match Penalty, which bring an automatic one-game suspension that cannot be overruled. It's that ****ing simple.

helicecopter said:
I can understand the referee, without analyzing the situation on the replay, could get it that way, but no reasons for the suspension after re-watching on TV..(unless staying consistent with the undeserved match penalty called live by the referee..)

I thought I was clear before...

The IIHF cannot rescind the call, and the IIHF cannot overrule the rulebook. The rulebook says Malkin sits one game for the Match Penalty. There is no judgment here by the IIHF, just enforcement of its own rules. Case closed.

Pepper said:
Whether the ref made the right call or not is debatable; the Ruutu hit was an example of ref making the call without the aid of slow-mo video replays which show the hit to be clean technically.

Unlike in the NHL, you cannot connect your shoulder with an opponent's head in IIHF competition. It is blatantly against the rules. Ruutu got what he deserved.

artilector said:
I said it was weak because the reason we have refs is to be able to moderate the rulebook in close, pressure-packed games. This was not a kick to injure, the resulting suspension is too harsh for what happened. Don't whine about "whatif he kicked harder or his skate was closer to Vincent's face"... it was not a kick meant to injure, it did not injure, it was a reaction in the heat of battle, so I'm never going to agree that it is the appropriate punishment, to suspend a player for Olympics' semis.

It's like talking to a brick wall trying to explain this.

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE KICK WAS INTENDED TO INJURE. IT WAS AN ATTEMPT TO KICK. THE RULES DO NOT ALLOW A REFEREE TO USE JUDGMENT HERE. HE MUST ASSESS A MATCH PENALTY. THAT PENALTY CARRIES AN AUTOMATIC ONE GAME SUSPENSION, WHICH THE IIHF CANNOT OVERRULE JUST BECAUSE IT IS THE OLYMPIC SEMI-FINAL HE WILL MISS.

Is that clear enough?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Van said:
Is that clear enough?

Lets see, here's whats clear: "If the ref determined it was an attempt to kick, and the job of the ref is to literally enforce the rulebook, then the ref made the right call".

Congratulations, you've just stated a completely true and completely meaningless fact. I applaud your effort, though.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
I just noticed your username. Nevermind.

And him having a Lecavalier username is different from you having a Malkin avatar in what way? :dunno:

CoachBombay said:
Well bertuzzi sucker-punched Moore because of emotions :sarcasm:

that's a really weak excuse if you ask me...

Dirty and thats it... thank god, the kick didnt connect...

I wasn't making excuses for Malkin. I think it was a good call. I just think his emotions got the best of him and could understand it in a big game like that. My point was that I don't think he meant to cause a serious injury to Vinny when it happened and that I don't think he's a dirty player from the incident.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
From a chances to win standpoint, losing Korolyuk for the tournament is more detrimental that losing Malkin for one game.

Kingz4ever

Feb 8, 2006
LA
So this is the way IIHF thinks its going to deny Russia the gold? By suspending one of their best players for a BS thing like that? Now thats low. Its not going to make a difference anyway. the red machine is going to wax the finns.

BCCHL inactive

artilector said:
Lets see, here's whats clear: "If the ref determined it was an attempt to kick, and the job of the ref is to literally enforce the rulebook, then the ref made the right call".

Congratulations, you've just stated a completely true and completely meaningless fact. I applaud your effort, though.

Completely meaningless? It's the reason why Malkin is suspended. You cannot hold an opinion on whether or not the IIHF should suspend Malkin because they do not have a choice.

With kicking and attempting to kick, there are no good and bad calls, there are only right and wrong calls. The right call is Match Penalty, the wrong call is anything but.

Kingz4ever said:
So this is the way IIHF thinks its going to deny Russia the gold? By suspending one of their best players for a BS thing like that? Now thats low. Its not going to make a difference anyway. the red machine is going to wax the finns.

I guess I wasn't clear. I will repeat...

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE KICK WAS INTENDED TO INJURE. IT WAS AN ATTEMPT TO KICK. THE RULES DO NOT ALLOW A REFEREE TO USE JUDGMENT HERE. HE MUST ASSESS A MATCH PENALTY. THAT PENALTY CARRIES AN AUTOMATIC ONE GAME SUSPENSION, WHICH THE IIHF CANNOT OVERRULE JUST BECAUSE IT IS THE OLYMPIC SEMI-FINAL HE WILL MISS.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Kingz4ever said:

If it isnt going to make a difference, why are you building yourself an excuse?

Who are you trying to convince?

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
Resolute said:

Are you sure your in the right thread ? I think you should be in "crying canada".

shawn_kemp*

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Err, what's your point, and how does it address my comment?

If a person was so confident that their team would emerge victorious, why would they be building an excuse into a comment that expresses that?

And FTR, I expect the Russians will beat Finland as well.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
helicecopter said:
But it's not like he was free to move and kicked Lecavalier near his face, the referee was keeping his upper body, the leg was his only free part to push away Vinny after he gave him the punch.. it didn't come close Vinny's face and didn't risk to injure the opponent.

Now that i think of that, could be a good tactic to send off an important player of your opponents..while his arms are blocked by the referee punch him! one of his leg would eventually move in reaction... :shakehead
Wow, how anyone can blame Lecavalier for this incident is beyond me. I guess you missed the part where Malkin took Vinny down in the first place by whacking him in the back of the head and pulling him to the ice. If you think what Vincent did in retaliation was "punching", you haven't seen too many fights.

Nothing justifies kicking at people with skates on, no matter how weak of an attempt it is. It was stupid of Lecavalier when he kicked at Kaspairitis a few years ago (which he got suspended for) and this was also stupid. Malkin is young, he'll learn to have a little more control over himself.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I don't know, maybee I'm tired. I have watched the replay in slow-mo like 20 times and I still can't see the disgraceful kick everybody is talking about.

The only thing I saw was Malkin and Lecavalier wrestling and hitting eachother, with Malkin losing his balance, dragging Lecavalier with him. I don't say he didn't kick him, I just couldn't see it myself.

Kingz4ever

Feb 8, 2006
LA
Resolute said:

No excuses. Its a fact that the IIHF had a strained relationship with the Russians and the punishment didn't fit the crime.

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
Does anyone have a link for the video? The one on the first page isnt working for me.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Kingz4ever said:
No excuses. Its a fact that the IIHF had a strained relationship with the Russians and the punishment didn't fit the crime.

Now you're implying a conspiracy theory on top of an excuse.

For your sake, I hope the Russians beat the Finns...

Incidentally, what does the strained relationship between the Russian Federation and the IIHF have to do with anything?

The referee - who IIRC isnt a representative of the IIHF - made the call on the match penalty. A kick is an attempt to injure. An attempt to injure is a match penatly. A match penalty is a one game suspension.

The only thing the IIHF did here is obey it's own bylaws. But then, as you mention yourself, the two organizations are strained at the moment. Mainly because the RF is expecting that it should be treated differently than everyone else. Maybe you are just pissed that in this instance as well, Russia is not above everyone else, and has to pay the same penalty anyone else would for a similar incident.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
He 100% tried to kick him. I saw it live so if you can not see in replays than you are not looking. He tried to kick him and should be suspended. I don't think that because I'm Canadian either because I couldn't care less who wins now.

shawn_kemp*

please stop complaining about this decision.

I'm Russian and must say Malkin got what he deserved, although I believe that he didn't think before acting.

we'll miss him tomorrow!

Case closed! :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad