Malkin is out for the semifinal

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone26*

Sorry but that is a ridiculous decision, what he did warranted a 5 minute penalty, not a game misconduct, although it was a moot point since the game was almost over, and certainly not missing the next game. I was going to cheer for Finland over Russia in the semis, partialy since I am dissapointed Russia beat Canada, but not I am probably going to cheer for Russia since I dont want a game to potentialy be decided by a ridiculous suspension.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
blamebettman said:
Wow, I guess this is Russia's punishment for beating Canada. Not only was is a phantom call, it's a phantom suspension as well. Was anybody watching the way Koharski called the US-Russia game and then the US-Finland game. There's been a ton of pro north american bias going on.

:biglaugh: Even when Canada is out of the tournament, they're buying off officials as revenge?

Seriously... People need to stop making excuses just in case they lose. I've never seen so many posts complain about officiating before the games even take place.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I'm looking forward to seeing how Nepriayev looks at this level of competition. The Caps have been talking the last couple of summers about bringing him over and still consider him in team plans going forward. McPhee is in Turin and I imagine he will be watching closely.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I never saw any kicking motion, more of a flailing motion. Horrendous call.

wildone26 said:
Sorry but that is a ridiculous decision, what he did warranted a 5 minute penalty, not a game misconduct, although it was a moot point since the game was almost over, and certainly not missing the next game. I was going to cheer for Finland over Russia in the semis, partialy since I am dissapointed Russia beat Canada, but not I am probably going to cheer for Russia since I dont want a game to potentialy be decided by a ridiculous suspension.
Ok... Next year... Lecavalier performs a roundhouse kick at Malkin's head... but he doesn't hit him... he gets suspended for the attempt... can I argue that it is a phantom suspension because no one got hit?

The fact REMAINS, that there was an INTENT to injure, the severity of this intent, is unknown obviously. If Malkin was NOT suspended, what type of message would be sent for the rest of the tournament? That is ok to have a kicking motion as long as you don't injure someone?

If they DIDN'T suspend him, it would look REAL bad on the sport and Olympic Hockey in general. This was a REQUIRED suspension and it is fully earned... All of you Russian fans are just upset because your team may have just taken a hit that could cost them an appearance in the following round... It is fine to be upset, but don't make yourself look rediculous but trying to defend a player who engaged in an action that could have led to a serious injury.

Grow up and think about what COULD have happened and not what DIDN'T happen...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's not an excuse... Kicking a player (in the face!) is arguably the most dangerous thing to do on ice. He should be out the whole tourney.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anyone saying there were no motion is probably Evgeny Malkin #1 fan

Last edited by a moderator:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Didn't Havlat get suspended for 5 games for kicking? I'm not sure why people are upset. He kicked, got caught and is now suspended.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
MXD said:
Anyone saying there were no motion is probably Evgeny Malkin #1 fan or #1 cheap whore...
Even the announcers never saw anything. And I heard no mention of it on any of the post-game shows.

I replayed the incident a few times and I thought the penalty was for hitting Lecavalier in the back of the head.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Jacobv2 said:
I never saw any kicking motion, more of a flailing motion. Horrendous call.

Hmmm, the guy with the Malkin avatar doesn't like the call, thats wierd.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
blamebettman said:
Wow, I guess this is Russia's punishment for beating Canada. Not only was is a phantom call, it's a phantom suspension as well. Was anybody watching the way Koharski called the US-Russia game and then the US-Finland game. There's been a ton of pro north american bias going on.

Yeah, that old North American bias helped Canada and the US soooooo much. ;)

Hahahaha, more whining and blaming the refs crap, hell, you guys even blame the refs when you win!

Malkin was an idiot trying to play pro-wrestler with Vinnie and then got all childish and tried to kick him. He deserves the suspension, put the shoe on the other foot and the board would be full of rants against the Canadian "brutes". :shakehead

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
therealdeal said:
Hmmm, the guy with the Malkin avatar doesn't like the call, thats wierd.
Hmm.. All the Canadian fans like the call, weird.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
he's being suspended for an attempt at kicking a guy in the face.
He did NOT TRY to kick anyone IN THE FACE.

Wisent said:
And surely it is not ridicolous that such a thing gets called. It would be ridiculous not to call it. It is a game and it should stay one. Safety goes first
WHEN (IF) someone tries to kick someone else in the face the suspension should be way longer than one game.

resolute said:
Embarassing for the IIHF is that there was no bylaw in place to punish Ruutu for his charge on Jagr.

Embarassing for hockey is Malkin's actions. As has been mentioned many, many times now, kicking a player is one of the most dangerous things a player can do. Whatever his intent, Malkin attempted to kick Lecavalier. A match penalty is the only possible penalty that can be awarded, and that is completely fair to Malkin, to Havlat, and to everyone who plays the game.

Malkin tried to kick Lecavalier. A one game suspension is more than fair, and should serve as a reminder to Malkin that stupid actions have consequences.
Gimme a break. The two guys were just trying to come off each other, Lecavalier giving a deserved (yet stupid, cause gave him a roughing minor) punch and as a body reaction, Malkin raising his leg to send Vinny away.. no attempt to kick him in the face, the skate never came close to Vinny face (basically it’s the shin-guard against the chest, with the foot more distant from the head than the shin-guard already), let alone the blade, blade that Malkin knows to be placed, unsurprisingly, on the other side of his foot.

I can understand the referee, without analyzing the situation on the replay, could get it that way, but no reasons for the suspension after re-watching on TV..(unless staying consistent with the undeserved match penalty called live by the referee..)

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Jacobv2 said:

I actually really don't care, Russians deserved that game, and I didn't see it. But if they took a look at the footage and saw something than thats probably why he was suspended.

Have you gone back and looked at all the game tape and all the different angles?

MrAlfie

Jacobv2 said:

actually i was/am happy to see the russians win, and im gonna cheer for them (even though i want toots and kaspar come back home as soon as possible) , so if youre trying to imply that people that think malkin tried to kick him in the face are biased , then your argument holds no water..

the call was a good call, and if you watch the ref behind the goal closely youll see he keeps observing both , malkin and lecavalier VERY closely , and that guy sure knows what he saw.
and if you cant tell a kicking motion from a balancing motion.. well then i guess noone will help you and noones gonna be able to convince you that he attempted to kick lecave...
the facts speak for themself.. Malkin got suspended... so looks like youre wrong...

oh and i agree with you... the announcer didnt say anything about the incident.. and as we all know announcers never make mistakes and are never biased... :sarcasm:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
therealdeal said:
I actually really don't care, Russians deserved that game, and I didn't see it. But if they took a look at the footage and saw something than thats probably why he was suspended.

Have you gone back and looked at all the game tape and all the different angles?

They showed it on CBC latenight with Don Cherry(It is a different angle then you would have seen in the game) He got his foot pretty high, and I think it would be hard to argue he didn't intend to kick out. If anything, he could maybe argue he was kicking his leg to get free of an awkward position, but that would be about it.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Jacobv2 said:

rapidshare.de/files/13905158/malkin-lecavalier.avi.html

Have you watched this??? :dunno:

He tried to kick Lecavilier in the face with his skate ???

It has nothing to do with who won the game. The Russians deserved to win, they played well and wanted it more.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
shawn_kemp said:
why wouldn't Malkin play?

Jarkko Ruutu got a 5+20 against the Czech Republic and played against Canada, so again, why wouldn't he play?

Ruutu didnt receive a "Match" penalty, rightfully so I dont think he should anyway because i cant say with any sort of certainty his object was to bash Jagrs head into the boards.

Malkin though tried (and did?) kick a player, which is a definite intent to injure (match penatly)....and I believe IIHF rules that is an automatic 1 game suspension.

blamebettman*

FLYLine88 said:
Ruutu didnt receive a "Match" penalty, rightfully so I dont think he should anyway because i cant say with any sort of certainty his object was to bash Jagrs head into the boards.

Malkin though tried (and did?) kick a player, which is a definite intent to injure (match penatly)....and I believe IIHF rules that is an automatic 1 game suspension.

It looked like a knee to the air. Malkin was down and getting punched, so you'd better lay stiff as a board and let Lecavalier pound away, any sort or reaction means a suspension under IIHF rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad