Confirmed with Link: Malcolm Was Cheering for Montreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I cant support this... nhl is full of family acts and of course when they don't have a personal invested interest its ok to wish the family well. its actually sick not too

but when its your employers who are paying your paycheck... your brothers in arm that you will be going to war with... your fan base that ultimately will be making you into a millionair than you just cant possibly cheer for the other side even if the pope himself was lacing up the skates for them

sorry Malcolm but this is a huge worry sign for me... your brother already has established himself as a rebel that breaks nhl culture and custom. it might have been impossible for you to be accepted into the bruin scheme of things even before this little story. you sure as hell didn't make it any easier for yourself with this though.

stupid stupid stupid

its too bad because I happen to be a fan of the subban boys. I like some color and personality in the nhl. but these guys have to be smarter with their revolutionary behavior. they could do so much good if they only pick their spots a little bit better.

cheering against your team is never going to be accepted by the status quo majority... nor should it be.

Not sure if serious ....

... really?

The team that drafted you, but you don't know any of the players on, haven't played for and may never play for OR

your brother who you're super close to and have known your whole entire life.

:help:

No one else is weighing in on this as significantly as you and the guy who posted the (really stupid) article, so I guess he weighed it out. Should I cheer for my brother and upset maybe 1% of the fan base orrr cheer for Boston and ultimately be a ***** to my brother... ... who will be his brother for life.

Ahhh summer.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I cant support this... nhl is full of family acts and of course when they don't have a personal invested interest its ok to wish the family well. its actually sick not too

but when its your employers who are paying your paycheck... your brothers in arm that you will be going to war with... your fan base that ultimately will be making you into a millionair than you just cant possibly cheer for the other side even if the pope himself was lacing up the skates for them

sorry Malcolm but this is a huge worry sign for me... your brother already has established himself as a rebel that breaks nhl culture and custom. it might have been impossible for you to be accepted into the bruin scheme of things even before this little story. you sure as hell didn't make it any easier for yourself with this though.

stupid stupid stupid

its too bad because I happen to be a fan of the subban boys. I like some color and personality in the nhl. but these guys have to be smarter with their revolutionary behavior. they could do so much good if they only pick their spots a little bit better.

cheering against your team is never going to be accepted by the status quo majority... nor should it be.

stop

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
the time honored correct answer to this type of question has always been... I cheer him to personally do well, but of course I cheer our team to win.

its always possible for an individual to distinguish themselves with personal glory even when his team doesn't win the series. many many people have answered this question in the past. this is why Malcolm can be accused of being 'stupid' with this mistake he made. the spotlight is going to be on Malcolm 10 times what it would be on any other kid goalie of his experience who has any other last name besides subban.

it might not be fair... but it is the way it is. I believe this kid is going to be a very good goalie and it bothers me to see the road being paved for his exit of town. a comment like this just makes everything so much more difficult and it just wasn't necessary in the slightest. everyone already knows that blood should have well wishes for blood. what the question really was intended to do was to test the kid if he can say the right thing and show the proper commitment expected to his team over his family or if he is going to be a rebel too. on this test, Malcolm has failed and I am sad for it

This is priceless. :laugh:

Nowhere did Subban say he was rooting for the Canadiens. He was rooting for his brother. Of course he was.

And in the (small) hockey world where brothers, fathers and sons, cousins and best friends play for various and different organizations, this sort of thing happens all the time. To believe the Bruins are going to take exeception to what Malcom said is pretty funny.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Malcom is a confirmed undercover operative, working for the Molson-Coors conglomerate. He is the reason we lost the series.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
stupid stupid stupid

Poor choice of words on your part.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
So, he was rooting for PK in Game 1 in double OT I suppose...

Wonder if when PK scored the winning goal he pumped his fists?

member 96824

I have friends at rival companies in a highly highly competitive business. I root for their success, even if they are up against my company.

That doesnt mean I am rooting for my company to fail, it means I want my friends to have success.

Even stronger bond with brotherhood. The B's could trade Subban tomorrow, but his brother will always his brother.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I happen to be a fan of the subban boys. I like some color and personality in the nhl.

Since we're taking hyperbole to a whole new level, what do you mean by "boy" and "color"?

Amazing how comments can be taken out of context. He said he was cheering for his brother. He never said he was against the Bruins so try to relax. The boogey man is hiding behind every sentence apparently...

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
Malcolm didn't really have an egg in Boston's playoff basket. If he was backing up Tuukka, well...

Supporting family is okay in my book, just as long as he wants to beat PK whenever he plays against him, which should be more important than rooting for Boston in the playoffs.

OrrCam

Aug 9, 2008

stupid stupid stupid

I totally agree!!! Oh I know...I know...the righteous will say we're over-reacting and troll with the 'blood is thicker than water' and the 'so what' lines, but the personal notion underlying the comment is troubling to say the least. This guy may well see time between the pipes for the B's this year. If he ends up facing the Habs, for me, it becomes even more disconcerting. Will he want to see PK do well then too? Ultimately, the question is, can he be his best when he faces PK? For me, now, the answer is no. Seems to me, given how casually the comment was offered, he may not be capable of separating family from his professional commitment.

Frankly, the thought of having a player, any player, in the organization (on the big team or the farm), cheering for another team (especially the Habs) when they play the B's, is absolutely untenable. I agree, the kid is either stupid, or he just doesn't get it, or both. Someone needs to remind him which side his bread is buttered on and who writes his pay cheque.

In the past year I've seen many cases where B's fans were advocating for Malcom to be dealt, but I saw things differently. Not anymore. With one stupid, but revealing comment, he's convinced me he will not be a reliable tender when he faces his brother / Habs. It's likely that B's brass will take the perceived high road and dismiss this situation as irrelevant, likely by ignoring it entirely. Whatever. They will not convince me that they would be comfortable with Malcom between the pipes against the Habs.

Sooo....good one Malcolm. You may well have cemented a longer stay in minors than you'd planned, or a one way ticked out of Providence / Boston.

member 96824

Won't perform well against the Habs? He'll fit right in...put his number in the rafters!

PricePkPatch*

I am curious about something. Some of you mentionned "he will never play in this town" apparently as an assessment of his skill.

I havent followed his development. Has he been doing very poorly? Or not up to your expectations?

member 96824

I am curious about something. Some of you mentionned "he will never play in this town" apparently as an assessment of his skill.

I havent followed his development. Has he been doing very poorly? Or not up to your expectations?

He's developed fantastically.

But it would take something substantial happening to Rask for Subban to see a starting role before probably 26-27 years old.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Some assume Subban will be used as a nice trade piece instead since Rask is in his prime and signed long term here. Unless something major changes with Rask it's unlikely Subban would get a chance to be a starting goaltender here anytime soon.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
This thread is another good example of why some sports fans are considered mentally ill on some level.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Malcolm didn't really have an egg in Boston's playoff basket. If he was backing up Tuukka, well...

Supporting family is okay in my book, just as long as he wants to beat PK whenever he plays against him, which should be more important than rooting for Boston in the playoffs.

Speaking from personal experience, plus everything I've ever heard about siblings, it's a very rare thing not to want to beat the living daylights out of your brother/sister when you face them in competition.

Torey Krug has, IIRC, three brothers, two of whom also played hockey. I can just imagine what life was like in that household while he was growing up.

MaCam

Oct 5, 2005
Eastern Mass
Not seeing what the big deal is here... Who cares. "I was cheering for PK. Obviously, he's my brother and I want him to do well"

He said he was cheering for his brother. It's not like he said he was a big Habs fans and was cheering the Habs. Who wouldn't cheer for their own brother?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
the time honored correct answer to this type of question has always been... I cheer him to personally do well, but of course I cheer our team to win.

its always possible for an individual to distinguish themselves with personal glory even when his team doesn't win the series. many many people have answered this question in the past. this is why Malcolm can be accused of being 'stupid' with this mistake he made. the spotlight is going to be on Malcolm 10 times what it would be on any other kid goalie of his experience who has any other last name besides subban.

it might not be fair... but it is the way it is. I believe this kid is going to be a very good goalie and it bothers me to see the road being paved for his exit of town. a comment like this just makes everything so much more difficult and it just wasn't necessary in the slightest. everyone already knows that blood should have well wishes for blood. what the question really was intended to do was to test the kid if he can say the right thing and show the proper commitment expected to his team over his family or if he is going to be a rebel too. on this test, Malcolm has failed and I am sad for it

:shakehead:facepalm:So you'd rather he'd be a huge phony and say the "PC" thing? I hate phonies, and in this society there are way too many of them. People who encourage this sort of coaching of answers are boring and worthless IMO. KUDO'S to MS for not being a b.s. artist like so many others are!:yo:

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Depends on the context. Was the question;

"How did you feel after the series?" -- "I was cheering for PK, obviously"

or was it...

"Which team did you want to win in that series?"

The former is totally, 100% fine.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This thread is another good example of why some sports fans are considered mentally ill on some level.

Yes and it seems that we have our share.:naughty:

Speaking from personal experience, plus everything I've ever heard about siblings, it's a very rare thing not to want to beat the living daylights out of your brother/sister when you face them in competition.
One minute it was :fight: The next it was....:cheers:

Torey Krug has, IIRC, three brothers, two of whom also played hockey. I can just imagine what life was like in that household while he was growing up.
Yup...:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad