Post-Game Talk: Make Edmonton Great Again (MEGA)

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Hahaha when they signalled the penalty shot, and then the camera showed Talbot's face, I knew there was no chance in hell he was going to save it!

Well, the Talbot we all know and hate is back.

Depth sucks. When I saw Puljujarvi and Lucic come on the ice with RNH all I wondered was if RNH did something to piss Hitchcock off. Legit had my suspicions.

Our defence is still missing 2 top pairing players, even when Klefbom comes back. Meanwhile San Jose trades for a Norris winner to compliment their other Norris winner.

After the first period I pretended that the Sharks were my team and it felt pretty nice to cheer for a good team.
Ironically Nuge/looch/pulju was prob out best line last night lol.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hahaha when they signalled the penalty shot, and then the camera showed Talbot's face, I knew there was no chance in hell he was going to save it!

Well, the Talbot we all know and hate is back.

Depth sucks. When I saw Puljujarvi and Lucic come on the ice with RNH all I wondered was if RNH did something to piss Hitchcock off. Legit had my suspicions.

Our defence is still missing 2 top pairing players, even when Klefbom comes back. Meanwhile San Jose trades for a Norris winner to compliment their other Norris winner.

After the first period I pretended that the Sharks were my team and it felt pretty nice to cheer for a good team.
Lost in this awful season is how well Nuge has played this year. His line has frequently been the best line no matter who his line mates have been.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Im actually thankful we have Russell on the Oilers. Every game he provides a few mind-boggling dumb plays that should be shown to young D on how not to defend. I am lucky I have so many of these highlights saved up, so when I begin coaching I have a ton of material to show to the team

Last night, the moronic slide on Donskoi (which he inevitably got walked around on, and scored on) is a staple to his game. These stupid, completely ineffective slides are a staple to his game. The completely unnecessary off the glass and out plays when not under pressure are another staple. Love the mindset of "Not my puck anymore, not my problem, ill deal with the repercussions of this play in 20 seconds when they re-enter our zone with control"

Reactions: 63 others

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The really frustrating thing about this club is just as soon as some players get going they are traded, like Caggiula, or others disappear. We so seldom have multiple depth players playing well at the same time. Khaira for instance had a string of good games and now miserable performance. He was even getting knocked around and hit last night. Where on earth is his physical play, aggression, intimidation. He can be a better player but seems like he gives it for around 6-8games and then forgets what he has to do to play in this league. Kass and Looch are his bookends. Guys that are tough that rarely even step in the ring, just glare at some people in scrums with an occasional face wash. My lord where is the intensity from these guys? At least Looch scored and is hitting.

Rieder, what an abject disappointment. I expect he's still struggling with his upper body injury but would be nice to know. Theres no way he's healthy but its so frustrating watching this version of him.

Brodz, pretty much same thing. The Oilers gave up on Brodz just before he hit prime. Just so we could miss a decade of his best, and very responsible and hard edged play. Now we are getting this very limited version of Brodz back. \

Such a garbage lineup. I was channel surfing last night for extended periods of time. There was zero reason to watch this game as an Oilers fan.

f*** yeah Chiarelli. You checked out most of the fanbase (and most of the players) by game 44. Good work. Now another 3mtns of agonizing dying of the club.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ironically Nuge/looch/pulju was prob out best line last night lol.

They saw the easiest minutes. They should be dominating. 12M bucks of veteran and a top 4 pick on that line. That line should be owning. The reality is Pulju and Looch have both been playing better in recent weeks. Not good enough, but better. The trouble for our top two lines is the SJ Sharks, a veteran club, being good enough to crater them.

In anycase theres nothing ironic about that line being the best line, they were. Nuge is in prime and an accomplished player, Looch is waking up from the longest funk and looking involved, and Pulju is more regularly producing and being a headache for defenders. Theres a lot of bull and fearsome forechecking on that line. Its not a bad configuration at all. Its one of those lines that should work imo.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How many times is that now where Talbot has followed up a shut out with being pulled? Like 4 or 5 times since he's been on this team. Has zero mental stamina. Not that this game is on Talbot or Kosko, we were just outclassed by a better team as usual. The weakness of Chia's built defence is really shining through now with Klefbom out. Of course this was all predictable, our mediocre to average defence for the last 3 years was not improved 1 bit by Chia. The reason we floundered last year was, injuries crippling an already mediocre defence, is the same reason it's happening now. Ahh remember when Bobby Nicks said we needed to add some quality D-men in the off-season, remember how none of that happened?

Then there's the **** poor offensive system. It was poor under Tmac and it hasn't improved under Hitch. Hitch however did bring a better defensive style for a bit there, with Klefbom out we've folded back into bad habits combined with D-men that just can't handle NHL minutes.

Team sucks.

Mental stamina? Try playing 85 games in a season in 16-17. More than any other starter did, and doing it for the Oilers who provide a ton of hard work for their goalies. How could anybody question his mental stamina? Heres the thing, they even showed it in practice. Schwartz spent another hour with Talbot between games. Which I only assume by now makes matters worse as it invariably does. Get another goalie coach already. When is it going to be beyond obvious.

The Sharks are a nightmare for any goalie to play this season because they can hit you from any position and have cornered the market on dangerous D. We have no answer for their 5 player units. none. THIS Sharks team could probably sweep us in the playoffs.

They were so confident of the victory that DeBoer, head coach, took the game off.

This was always going to be a loss and it didn't matter if god was in net. From the first minutes Sharks were being allowed to walk right in on net. You can't allow these chances with a team so dangerous.

The SOG doesn't even come close to reflecting the scoring chances and run of play the Sharks had in this game. They were missing the net lots going for corners or trying to create perfect plays. Just bearing down last night and the Sharks could easily have put up a 10 spot. They even missed the 8th goal on a wide open net.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
#Oilers roster if Chiarelli was never hired...#FireChiarelli

Hall McDavid Drai
Yakupov Barzal Eberle
Slepyshev RNH Pulj
Khaira ? Pakarinen

Oscar Klefbom Justin Schultz
Darnell Nurse
Brandon Davidson

Alternate reality: What would the Oilers look like if Chiarelli was never hired?

Fact checking says Edmonton doesn't take Barzal

I know where you are going with that roster, but it certainly isn't what we would look like. We wouldn't have Brodz or Rieder I don't think, but a few other moves would have been made.

Sekera would have been sought after still.
There's a lot of questions we could ask, but that one is almost impossible to quantify with a real answer.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Blank-Mcdavid-Drai
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I dont like when people include draft picks we never would have taken anyways. Having said that the first rebuilds top line couldve been our 2nd line. Would have to trade for cap space but last year and before would have worked.

Or if you liked the chemistry Drai and Hall had:

RNH-Mcdavid- Eberle/blank
Hall- Drai-Eberle/Blank

The sad thing is if we hire virtually any GM but Chia we have Dougie Hamilton (Plus the 2nd we gave up to hire Chia). Probably still sign Sekera.

Maybe give Schultz a chance with less pressure and responsibilities before shipping him away for nothing.

Fill in the depth with Veterans on short term deals while Keith Gretzky hopefully improves drafting over the next few years.

Anyone have a time machine we can go back to 2015?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Im actually thankful we have Russell on the Oilers. Every game he provides a few mind-boggling dumb plays that should be shown to young D on how not to defend. I am lucky I have so many of these highlights saved up, so when I begin coaching I have a ton of material to show to the team

Last night, the moronic slide on Donskoi (which he inevitably got walked around on, and scored on) is a staple to his game. These stupid, completely ineffective slides are a staple to his game. The completely unnecessary off the glass and out plays when not under pressure are another staple. Love the mindset of "Not my puck anymore, not my problem, ill deal with the repercussions of this play in 20 seconds when they re-enter our zone with control"

But I thought that you only could dislike Russell if you were a stats nerd and didn't watch the game? :sarcasm:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Random fact: Lucic now has same # of goals as Kassian, Rattie,JJ and spooner lol

Is the fan base too tough on him hahaha

Considering all four combined only make $525K more than him alone (cap wise), no we're not too tough on him. He's also played more games and minutes than all of them (in some cases.. twice as much)

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Considering all four combined only make $525K more than him alone (cap wise), no we're not too tough on him. He's also played more games and minutes than all of them (in some cases.. twice as much)
That was already pointed out like five times.

Reactions: Magnum23

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Mental stamina? Try playing 85 games in a season in 16-17. More than any other starter did, and doing it for the Oilers who provide a ton of hard work for their goalies. How could anybody question his mental stamina? Heres the thing, they even showed it in practice. Schwartz spent another hour with Talbot between games. Which I only assume by now makes matters worse as it invariably does. Get another goalie coach already. When is it going to be beyond obvious.

The Sharks are a nightmare for any goalie to play this season because they can hit you from any position and have cornered the market on dangerous D. We have no answer for their 5 player units. none. THIS Sharks team could probably sweep us in the playoffs.

They were so confident of the victory that DeBoer, head coach, took the game off.

This was always going to be a loss and it didn't matter if god was in net. From the first minutes Sharks were being allowed to walk right in on net. You can't allow these chances with a team so dangerous.

The SOG doesn't even come close to reflecting the scoring chances and run of play the Sharks had in this game. They were missing the net lots going for corners or trying to create perfect plays. Just bearing down last night and the Sharks could easily have put up a 10 spot. They even missed the 8th goal on a wide open net.
While I agree with premise of your post I think DeBoer was off because he's ill, not just taking the night off.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I want to preface this by saying I'm a fan of Russell, he's really won me over since my initial uneasiness about the signing.

That said, I think Russell is a number 4 dman one an average team, and anchoring the bottom pairing on a good team.

Having enough top 4 dmen for Russell to anchor a bottom pair is what we should aim for.

He's a great heart and soul guy, gives it his all, and isn't a bad defender, but I don't think he does enough to be a consistent top 4 dman on a good team. He is the ideal number 5 who can step into the second pairing in case of injuries imo.

Reactions: bone

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I want to preface this by saying I'm a fan of Russell, he's really won me over since my initial uneasiness about the signing.

That said, I think Russell is a number 4 dman one an average team, and anchoring the bottom pairing on a good team.

Having enough top 4 dmen for Russell to anchor a bottom pair is what we should aim for.

He's a great heart and soul guy, gives it his all, and isn't a bad defender, but I don't think he does enough to be a consistent top 4 dman on a good team. He is the ideal number 5 who can step into the second pairing in case of injuries imo.

Truth be told when healthy, the Oil would have Russell on the 3rd pairing.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Gravel/Jones

The problem is, Chia's response to long term injuries to key players has been to stock up on waiver level talent, pushing Russell and others into roles they shouldn't be in.

Reactions: RegDunlop

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Yes he has zero mental stamina. He is mentally weak. He's shown this for 3 years now. Even now, with the lightened work load he still stinks. And yes, like I said in my post, the Sharks are the better team, Talbot didn't cost us the game but he's still a weak starter. Doesn't let in much softies but doesn't have the ability to make the harder, bigger saves, nor the ability to keep mentally focused for any amount of stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad