Post-Game Talk: Make Edmonton Great Again (MEGA)

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Hahaha when they signalled the penalty shot, and then the camera showed Talbot's face, I knew there was no chance in hell he was going to save it!

Well, the Talbot we all know and hate is back.

Depth sucks. When I saw Puljujarvi and Lucic come on the ice with RNH all I wondered was if RNH did something to piss Hitchcock off. Legit had my suspicions.

Our defence is still missing 2 top pairing players, even when Klefbom comes back. Meanwhile San Jose trades for a Norris winner to compliment their other Norris winner.

After the first period I pretended that the Sharks were my team and it felt pretty nice to cheer for a good team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think Sekera is staying on the LTIR unless he's tearing his achilles again in the summer some how.

He'll be back playing for the Oilers probably around mid-late Feb of this season. And he'll probably suck, unfortunately.
It's gonna be interesting with him. Stauffer has made it sound like Sekera is a long way away from being an NHLer. Has no first step right now

I could actually see him do the AHL stint, come up for a couple weeks and then go back onto the LTIR.

The player is going to want to give it one last shot, but is the player going to want to be a healthy scratch for the rest of the year?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We have a reasonably easy 7 games before the break with Florida, Arizona, Buffalo, Van, Calgary, Carolina and Detroit. If we can get 5 or even 4 wins there we’ll still be in a good spot after the break to close out the season with our full D corps back.
It's funny they said as much on 1260 and said we can beat the bad teams, but just aren't there for the tough games. I too saw the schedule as what should be easier.

But then again we got our ass handed to us by how many crap teams lately?

Even our win in Anaheim we were out played for a lot of the game. We just had goaltending finally step up for one game.

Reactions: LaGu

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Fully agree. That tenaciousness isn’t there anymore. He rarely puts it into 6th gear like we are used to seeing (although that maybe due to the 5 guys that are hooking and holding him)

I don’t really agree. A couple of posts robbed him of another three point game last night. Even in the King’s game didn’t he have almost half of our shots on net?

McDavid is still going 150% it’s just that the level of suck he is surrounded by sometimes drags even the best player in the world down a bit.

Imagine if he had Stamkos, Point and Hedman to play with, or Marchand and Pasta? He’d be a 200 point player.

Reactions: TB12 and Aerrol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I feel nothing after that loss. It’s refreshing.

Welcome to The Apathy Side. I've been there for a while.

The Blues loss at home did it for me, I knew right there and then that this was the same team as last year.
That was the real test coming off the Canucks loss that broke the good vibes to see if this team had real bounce back ability against a supposed inferior opponent at home. That listless performance signaled to me that a severe tailspin was soon to follow. The emotion was sucked out of me after that clunker.

Of course I could easily get sucked back in if they have another hot stretch because I, just like most of us who post here, have a sickness called Oileritis which is only curable by death.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We are 20-20-3 with goalies having a really rough go in the last 10.

The Oilers have been getting outchanced by a large margin the last 15 games (even when they were healthy) and you're still scapegoating the goalies? Hell, if it wasn't for Koskinen going Vezinen for about 10 games, the Oilers would likely be last in the conference now. The goalies have been a problem but not THE problem.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Just got off the plane 9 time zones away and see we lost 7-2. I predicted a 6-1 loss so I wasn’t too far off. Didn’t think we could hold a candle to a hot Sharks team. ****ty internet in the cafe I’m in so I can’t look nothing up. Did I miss anything other than a Lucic goal and did Karlsson get 7 points?

Karlsson 'only' got three points

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Strome, Caggiula, Garrison 3rd, 6th
For
Spooner, Manning, Petrovic

Barf

Hall, Eberle, 1st, 2nd, 2nd (Chia comp), 3rd, 6th Strome, Cagguila
For
Chia, Larsson, Reinhart, Spooner, Manning and Petrovic

200_s.gif

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I agree.

Most fans give up easier than the players they are complaining about. This was a terrible game, but no idea how you rebound from all those flukey goals, hard to get back on track after each one.

Are you f***ing kidding me? If Oilers fans gave up Rogers would be empty every game instead of sold out. We're angry, vocal and rightfully expect the worst but don't talk shit about Oilers fans giving up. They SHOULD have given up years ago but we're still here, going to games and posting on boards beyond all logic.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
As much as people harp on Lucic... I know the majority of Oiler fans.. deep down.. are cheering for him and want him to succeed. Like when he shows effort and dishes out his big bodychecks, the fans at Rogers always scream his name. And it seems like the whole team was really happy to see him score as well. Hopefully with this ape off his back, he can contribute with a few more goals here. Dude can still be quite effective in today's game. It's just too bad we don't see more out of him most nights. But no lies about it, his contract is really hurting this team. He's facing the same kind of backlash that Horcoff had to deal with with his contract here.

Well said - totally agree!!!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We have a reasonably easy 7 games before the break with Florida, Arizona, Buffalo, Van, Calgary, Carolina and Detroit. If we can get 5 or even 4 wins there we’ll still be in a good spot after the break to close out the season with our full D corps back.

We’ll lose them all. Oilers style.

Reactions: McFuhryous

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Hall, Eberle, 1st, 2nd, 2nd (Chia comp), 3rd, 6th Strome, Cagguila
For
Chia, Larsson, Reinhart, Spooner, Manning and Petrovic

200_s.gif
This needs to be stapled to Bobby N’s and Katz walls. If they can’t see how incompetent Chia is from this alone then I don’t know what to say....

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The Oilers have been getting outchanced by a large margin the last 15 games (even when they were healthy) and you're still scapegoating the goalies? Hell, if it wasn't for Koskinen going Vezinen for about 10 games, the Oilers would likely be last in the conference now. The goalies have been a problem but not THE problem.
I think you're over-selling being out-chanced. We've been out-chanced in many games, not all, and at least a couple or more of the last 15 games in question became tilted when the Oilers were already up and the other team chasing (COL, ANA come to mind). Things are not looking good right now and the LA game was a back-breaker, but we do have a 2L 2L on-the-road record in Jan so it's not all negative.

Arizona came out strong at home but after we got that goal in the beginning of the 2nd it was pretty even, despite them chasing at the end. LA, despite being a **** game we apparently out-chanced them after that 1st period (and in Corsi for the full game), Anaheim was pretty much even until we were up 4-0 and SJS... Well let't not talk about that game any more :laugh:

Anyhow, it's been a rough stretch, that is for sure and I definitely agree that we should not lay the blame on the keepers.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I was thinking about this in the last few minutes.
When was the last time they outchanced an opponent? Off the top of my head, I don't think they've outchanced more than two or three opponents since late November. This is a bottom 5 team if it wasn't for the fluke Koski hot streak. Good work Chia

I usually watch the Cult of Hockey Podcasts with David Staples and Bruce McCurdy and according to those guys, especially Staples he tends to look at the grade A scoring chances (at least what he views them as grade A scoring chances), and more times than not, I would say the Oilers are usually ahead.

I believe the scoring chances are viewed how far they are taken from the net. The problem is that we just seem to have a lack of shooters on this team. One of our guys might get a shot in the slot, but they end up just shooting the puck into the goalies pads or crest.

I know we all blame Talbot and Koskinen about letting in goals on the high glove, but how many of our scorers can actually pick a corner when they have the time and space to do so? Probably just McDavid, Drai and RNH. And theres the problem. Not enough skill on this team. Our depth guys just cant score.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I usually watch the Cult of Hockey Podcasts with David Staples and Bruce McCurdy and according to those guys, especially Staples he tends to look at the grade A scoring chances (at least what he views them as grade A scoring chances), and more times than not, I would say the Oilers are usually ahead.

I believe the scoring chances are viewed how far they are taken from the net. The problem is that we just seem to have a lack of shooters on this team. One of our guys might get a shot in the slot, but they end up just shooting the puck into the goalies pads or crest.

I know we all blame Talbot and Koskinen about letting in goals on the high glove, but how many of our scorers can actually pick a corner when they have the time and space to do so? Probably just McDavid, Drai and RNH. And theres the problem. Not enough skill on this team. Our depth guys just cant score.
If you're interested in this stuff, hockeyviz has some neat shot location tools. You can do game-by-game or full season, and can also restrict it to particular players.

EDM at ANA

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
First time in forever that about 30 guys didn't post on the pregame that Looch was going to score, and sure enough, he pots one. lol.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad