Make a move?

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
This team needs a #1 or up and coming #1 d-man not another #2 or #3. And possibly a pure goal scoring winger for Giroux. If we can somehow add both of those while holding on to Giroux, B. Schenn, Couturier, Simmond, Voracek, Hartnell, L. Schenn, and Coburn we would be in great shape for the future

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
This team needs a #1 or up and coming #1 d-man not another #2 or #3. And possibly a pure goal scoring winger for Giroux. If we can somehow add both of those while holding on to Giroux, B. Schenn, Couturier, Simmond, Voracek, Hartnell, L. Schenn, and Coburn we would be in great shape for the future

Good luck accomplishing that without giving up anything of value.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
How do we fit either one let alone both next year and stay cap compliant after resigning Timonen

Keep in mind, wehaven't put Pronger on LTIR yet.

If we sign Perry, Danny Boy would be amnestied, I am sure.

Flip Meszaros for a 3rd rounder and all of a sudden you have over 15 Million $ to operate with.

By the way, resigning Timonen saved us another 300k.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Perry-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Read
Laughton-Couturier-Simmonds
McGinn-Talbot-Rinaldo/Cousins/Noebels

Bouwmeester-Coburn
Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Gustafsson

That'd be awesome, but I wouldn't want to give up what it'd likely take to get jbo. It will likely take our 1st +, which is something we shouldn't do considering how young our team is. Bouwmeester isn't old, but he's not young enough to fit into our young core either. We should only be trading assets for players who can grow with our core IMO.

I know what you mean but the guy does have a great first outlett pass, logs easily 23+ minutes a night, is mobile and very, very, I mean very durable.

In our situation we won't get anyone better without sacrificing our young core.

I wouldn't offer anything more then Cousins or Laughton + our 2nd rounder anyway. It's an incredibly deep draft, that's enough.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Everyone seems so hell bent on believing that Corey Perry is going to end up here. He's going to cost at a minimum, $7 million bucks a year and you're looking long term. I just don't see it happening at this point, especially when Giroux, Schenn, Read and Couturier are all going to be free agents at the same time. There's no way that Perry will make more than Giroux does. It's going to blow the salary structure right out of the water and with the cap going down (it's already been estimated that the NHL and NHLPA have lost over $330 million this year in revenue and that it's expected to go down again next season), signing Perry would be salary cap suicide.

As for Bouwmeester, let him be someone else's problem. The guy has had 0 success in the playoffs pretty much everywhere he's been. He's never played in the playoffs in junior and the NHL and the only time he saw playoff action (2004 - 2005 in the AHL with the Chicago Wolves), he had 0 points in 18 games. I'd rather keep that stench of failure far, far, far, far away from this club.

Fair enough but it's Holmgren. You know he'll push hard. Especially after last summer.

By the way, with our core and system I truly expect Jay.Bo to flourish.

In my opinion, he'd look great on a line with L. Schenn.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
We could do something along the lines of this:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Corey Perry ($6.325m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Simon Gagne ($2.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.578m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Tye McGinn ($0.775m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.594m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($5.344m—20.0%)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.988m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
Buyout: Chris Pronger ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,354,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $745,333

(bought out Briere. bought out Pronger (only because I couldn't figure out how to get him on LTIR)). Trade picks and prospects (Laughton?) for J-Bo and they keep 20%, which is highly unlikely both on the trade and the retention of the salary IMO. Gave Perry only a million dollar raise because I honestly have no idea how things are going to go down this offseason with the drastic cap reduction. Signed Gagnge, well just because. Greiss I would like as a backup but I also don't really know how likely that is. But it could be done. Also ignore the D pairings, I didn't change them just left them as CG put them for default.

Couldn't have written it better.

Slight change from my side.

Trade Mesz (injury history) for a pick, insert Gustafsson in the line-up and don't expect Calgary to eat up salary.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I remember Bouwmeester not wanting to play of the East Coast when he became a free agent the first go round. Has that changed? If not, would be a waste of assets to bring him in for a 1 and a half years.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I remember Bouwmeester not wanting to play of the East Coast when he became a free agent the first go round. Has that changed? If not, would be a waste of assets to bring him in for a 1 and a half years.

I never heard that before. Not saying it isn't true just that I never heard that. I'm pretty sure Suter said that this offseason. I don't really think the Flyers get J-Bo. He is having a good season and Flames fans seem to value him higher than we do for trade purposes, which is to be expected (I imagine in reality it is somewhere between what we think and what they think). I think it is even less likely that they retain any salary unless we greatly overpay with assets.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Everyone seems so hell bent on believing that Corey Perry is going to end up here. He's going to cost at a minimum, $7 million bucks a year and you're looking long term. I just don't see it happening at this point, especially when Giroux, Schenn, Read and Couturier are all going to be free agents at the same time. There's no way that Perry will make more than Giroux does. It's going to blow the salary structure right out of the water and with the cap going down (it's already been estimated that the NHL and NHLPA have lost over $330 million this year in revenue and that it's expected to go down again next season), signing Perry would be salary cap suicide.

it's in the CBA that the cap cannot go below 64.3m, so it's irrelevant how much money the NHL loses, the cap won't drop below what it will be this coming season. besides, there's already been incredible profit increases across the league so far this year so after next year, it's assumed that the cap will be going back up again. it could go up as much as 5m for 2014-15. i don't see that being a problem.

if you buyout Briere you easily have the money for Perry. i don't consider 7 years to be longterm either. especially when the player is only 27 and currently in his prime. i consider longterm to be more like what Richards and Carter were getting, the 10+ year contracts. 7 years is not that bad.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I don't like losing Laughton at all. I think guys like Cousins + Noebels, Z, Wellwood, could be offered for a puck moving defenseman. You're not going to get a legit #1 without giving up B. Schenn or Couturier plus picks/prospects - and I just don't think that is the best idea. This really isn't a win now team. I know anything can happen once you get in - but the Flyers would be much better off for years to come if they just tweaked things now and let this season play itself out without doing anything drastic. I like Brassard or maybe Ryan Ellis if they could be had for Cousins +. Who is going to want Cousins if he's in jail though... Can't lead any league in points when you're locked up.

The Flyers have a lot of really good young players on good contracts (Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Read, Couturier) and you have two guys that are absolutely good enough to play first pairing minutes in Schenn and Coburn - they just need a partner (NEXT SEASON) like Bouwmeester/Yandle/J. Johnson. Meszaros could handle 1st pairing responsibilities as well if he could stay healthy which he can't it seems.

I think a first pairing of Schenn and Brassard or Ellis would be great. Then you could have:

Schenn - Brassard/Ellis
Timmonen - Coburn reunited and it feels so good
Grossman - Meszaros/Gus

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I don't like losing Laughton at all. I think guys like Cousins + Noebels, Z, Wellwood, could be offered for a puck moving defenseman. You're not going to get a legit #1 without giving up B. Schenn or Couturier plus picks/prospects - and I just don't think that is the best idea. This really isn't a win now team. I know anything can happen once you get in - but the Flyers would be much better off for years to come if they just tweaked things now and let this season play itself out without doing anything drastic. I like Brassard or maybe Ryan Ellis if they could be had for Cousins +. Who is going to want Cousins if he's in jail though... Can't lead any league in points when you're locked up.

The Flyers have a lot of really good young players on good contracts (Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Read, Couturier) and you have two guys that are absolutely good enough to play first pairing minutes in Schenn and Coburn - they just need a partner (NEXT SEASON) like Bouwmeester/Yandle/J. Johnson. Meszaros could handle 1st pairing responsibilities as well if he could stay healthy which he can't it seems.

I think a first pairing of Schenn and Brassard or Ellis would be great. Then you could have:

Schenn - Brassard/Ellis
Grossman - Meszaros/Gus

I don't know much about Brassard or Ellis, but if they're good enough to be first pairing defensemen, you're not getting them for Cousins/Wellwood/Z/Noebels +.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Hey guys...Steve Tambellini here.

Just kidding, I'm just an Oilers fan. Was wondering what it would take for you guys to give up one of your more physical forwards....Ie Schenn, Simmonds, Rinaldo, Hartnell.....I know you guys aren't trading Couts or Hartnell but I'm thinking one of the other guys for the right price?

Hall, RNH, Schultz and Smid are untouchable.

I'd say Eberle and Yak are too but I'm also aware that we need to give up value to get value so.....any trade possibilities?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hey guys...Steve Tambellini here.

Just kidding, I'm just an Oilers fan. Was wondering what it would take for you guys to give up one of your more physical forwards....Ie Schenn, Simmonds, Rinaldo, Hartnell.....I know you guys aren't trading Couts or Hartnell but I'm thinking one of the other guys for the right price?

Hall, RNH, Schultz and Smid are untouchable.

I'd say Eberle and Yak
are too but I'm also aware that we need to give up value to get value so.....any trade possibilities?

Then there isn't much of a move to be made, unless you wind up with a VERY high first overall pick.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I really hope not.

What is a guy like Rinaldo worth? A second? A third? B level prospect?

3rd is closest. Maybe/probably less. If he learns to play good defense independent of his hitting, he's worth something. His chief issue is his reputation, which leads to a lot of undeserved penalties. It's been getting better, but he's still kind of a detriment...since it's entirely possible for him to get hit an be sent to the box for it.

When the refs are being fair though, he's a human buzzsaw.

Not really sure how to value him, to be honest. I guess Powe with a rep...except he isn't as good on D and PK as Powe. So yeah, no idea from me.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
I really hope not.

What is a guy like Rinaldo worth? A second? A third? B level prospect?

I'd let him go for a third if I was going to trade him. The thing is I don't particularly want to trade him, as I'm interested to see if his game at the NHL level can round out a bit. And I'm not bold enough to ask for a second because he isn't worth it.

So I think a third would be a very fair thing to offer for him. I'm not sure the Flyers do it though.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

Schenn - Brassard/Ellis
Grossman - Meszaros/Gus

Brassard? Derek Brassard? The center?

tlkamps

May 11, 2010
Philly
I had a dream last night that the Flyers traded this years 1st and Laughton for Jay Bouwmeester and Jerome Iginla. I don't know how I feel about now that I thought it was real for the past 3 hours.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'd let him go for a third if I was going to trade him. The thing is I don't particularly want to trade him, as I'm interested to see if his game at the NHL level can round out a bit. And I'm not bold enough to ask for a second because he isn't worth it.

So I think a third would be a very fair thing to offer for him. I'm not sure the Flyers do it though.

Edmonton has some decent depth on D prospects. I'm wondering about Rinaldo + 2nd/3rd for a guy like Martin Marincin.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
We could do something along the lines of this:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Corey Perry ($6.325m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Simon Gagne ($2.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.578m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Tye McGinn ($0.775m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.594m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($5.344m—20.0%)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.988m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
Buyout: Chris Pronger ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,354,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $745,333

(bought out Briere. bought out Pronger (only because I couldn't figure out how to get him on LTIR)). Trade picks and prospects (Laughton?) for J-Bo and they keep 20%, which is highly unlikely both on the trade and the retention of the salary IMO. Gave Perry only a million dollar raise because I honestly have no idea how things are going to go down this offseason with the drastic cap reduction. Signed Gagnge, well just because. Greiss I would like as a backup but I also don't really know how likely that is. But it could be done. Also ignore the D pairings, I didn't change them just left them as CG put them for default.
That's a potential cup winning squad. Maybe add one more Veteran winger and be done with it.

But i suspect Corey Perry coming to Philly is about as likely as Parise or Suter signing here. Just my two cents. They better not bank on the big Ufa signing.
If it happens, go for it. but Homer better prepare a Plan B.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad