Make a move?

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Since missing out on all high-priced Free Agents last summer Homer will go even harder after them this year.

I feel we'll PROBABLY see Cory Perry in the O&B neyt year.
I believe Homer will DEFINETLY take care of the d and acquire Jay Bouwmeester at the trade dead line for a prospect and a pick.

Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, OEL, Bogosian, Myers no way do teams trade such terrific young players.

Not at least for what we'd give up for.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Since missing out on all high-priced Free Agents last summer Homer will go even harder after them this year.

I feel we'll PROBABLY see Cory Perry in the O&B neyt year.
I believe Homer will DEFINETLY take care of the d and acquire Jay Bouwmeester at the trade dead line for a prospect and a pick.

Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, OEL, Bogosian, Myers no way do teams trade such terrific young players.

Not at least for what we'd give up for.

How do we fit either one let alone both next year and stay cap compliant after resigning Timonen

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Perry-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Read
Laughton-Couturier-Simmonds
McGinn-Talbot-Rinaldo/Cousins/Noebels

Bouwmeester-Coburn
Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Gustafsson

That'd be awesome, but I wouldn't want to give up what it'd likely take to get jbo. It will likely take our 1st +, which is something we shouldn't do considering how young our team is. Bouwmeester isn't old, but he's not young enough to fit into our young core either. We should only be trading assets for players who can grow with our core IMO.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
At this point I'm all about going after Bouwmeester. He's available for the right group of assets. He fits what the Flyers need and is 28. While he's overpaid, a change of scenary may do him justice. He's the guy that I want in Philly orange and black.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Everyone seems so hell bent on believing that Corey Perry is going to end up here. He's going to cost at a minimum, $7 million bucks a year and you're looking long term. I just don't see it happening at this point, especially when Giroux, Schenn, Read and Couturier are all going to be free agents at the same time. There's no way that Perry will make more than Giroux does. It's going to blow the salary structure right out of the water and with the cap going down (it's already been estimated that the NHL and NHLPA have lost over $330 million this year in revenue and that it's expected to go down again next season), signing Perry would be salary cap suicide.

As for Bouwmeester, let him be someone else's problem. The guy has had 0 success in the playoffs pretty much everywhere he's been. He's never played in the playoffs in junior and the NHL and the only time he saw playoff action (2004 - 2005 in the AHL with the Chicago Wolves), he had 0 points in 18 games. I'd rather keep that stench of failure far, far, far, far away from this club.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Everyone seems so hell bent on believing that Corey Perry is going to end up here. He's going to cost at a minimum, $7 million bucks a year and you're looking long term. I just don't see it happening at this point, especially when Giroux, Schenn, Read and Couturier are all going to be free agents at the same time. There's no way that Perry will make more than Giroux does. It's going to blow the salary structure right out of the water and with the cap going down (it's already been estimated that the NHL and NHLPA have lost over $330 million this year in revenue and that it's expected to go down again next season), signing Perry would be salary cap suicide.

As for Bouwmeester, let him be someone else's problem. The guy has had 0 success in the playoffs pretty much everywhere he's been. He's never played in the playoffs in junior and the NHL and the only time he saw playoff action (2004 - 2005 in the AHL with the Chicago Wolves), he had 0 points in 18 games. I'd rather keep that stench of failure far, far, far, far away from this club.

If the Flyers trade or buyout Briere they will have money to chase Perry. I can see Giroux making a little less than Stamkos. Maybe 7.25 million per year. Maybe he gives us a good deal. We don't know until he signs the deal. Giroux might sign for 50-55 million for 8 years. He might not have a problem with having another player who makes more than him. So many questions we really don't know the answers to. We do know one thing though as a fact, Homer loves to make the big moves and splashes. Perry hits UFA (just like Parise) he will be chasing him.

Also Bouwmeester gets it pretty rough around here. I will not talk about his Junior years, but NHL year I will. Look at the teams the guy has played on. Florida was and still is a horrible team besides last years(apparently fluke) team. Calgary is one of the worst run franchises out there I believe. They should have started a rebuild long long ago and shipped out big named players like Kipper and Iggy. They have no depth and drafted pretty poorly over the last few years. They really should trade Iggy this year before they never see anything in return for one of the greatest power forwards to play the game. I am just saying, let's not just blame Bouwmeester for not making the playoffs, it is a team game for a reason.

Besides Chris Prongers 10 goals in 09-10, Pitkanen was out last defender to have 10 or more goals in 05-06.... We have sorely lacked a bomb shot from the point. Bouwmeester has that. If we could get him for good value, I say go for it. Especially if they retain salary. So much can change from now until April.

Last edited:

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
JayBo/Perry

I agree on all counts.

Plus, if the organization truly wants Ryan in 15-16 or if they know he will not resign with Anaheim so that he can sign with the Flyers, then you need space for trading a pick at the deadline of 14-15 if you want Ryan immediately AND space to resign him for the 15-16 season.

Edit: The way I was phrasing the part about Perry and Ryan was confusing. I removed it.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The whole "throw money at Perry thing" sounds JUST LIKE the whole "throw money at Suter" thing we all danced to last year.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Maybe we make a move to get his rights at the draft? Make it so Perry doesn't have to think about testing free agency?

Rights to Perry will be huge since he is the biggest FA guy on the market. Bigger then what Bryz cost so I can easily see a 1st going that way. MAYBE conditional (like it turns to a 2nd if we dont)

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Rights to Perry will be huge since he is the biggest FA guy on the market. Bigger then what Bryz cost so I can easily see a 1st going that way. MAYBE conditional (like it turns to a 2nd if we dont)

If we are picking later in the 1st round, I don't think it's that bad of a price.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If the Flyers trade or buyout Briere they will have money to chase Perry. I can see Giroux making a little less than Stamkos. Maybe 7.25 million per year. Maybe he gives us a good deal. We don't know until he signs the deal. Giroux might sign for 50-55 million for 8 years. He might not have a problem with having another player who makes more than him. So many questions we really don't know the answers to. We do know one thing though as a fact, Homer loves to make the big moves and splashes. Perry hits UFA (just like Parise) he will be chasing him.

Also Bouwmeester gets it pretty rough around here. I will not talk about his Junior years, but NHL year I will. Look at the teams the guy has played on. Florida was and still is a horrible team besides last years(apparently fluke) team. Calgary is one of the worst run franchises out there I believe. They should have started a rebuild long long ago and shipped out big named players like Kipper and Iggy. They have no depth and drafted pretty poorly over the last few years. They really should trade Iggy this year before they never see anything in return for one of the greatest power forwards to play the game. I am just saying, let's not just blame Bouwmeester for not making the playoffs, it is a team game for a reason.

I get what you're saying with regards to Bouwmeester, but at the same time, he's played on some pretty good Florida and Calgary teams. From 05-06 even right up to last season, his teams have come close to qualifying. But they've never been able to get over the hump. The one common denominator in all those teams is that Bouwmeester has been the lead defenseman. If you're going to be paid like an elite defenseman, then you need to step up and be an elite defenseman. He wanted big bucks, he got big bucks and when he was expected to perform, he stank up the joint.

I'll say it right now, Bouwmeester is an elite talent, there's no question about it. He's got the skating, positioning, hockey IQ and there is offensive ability there. However, does he have the desire and drive to be the best? And that's what I don't see from Bouwmeester. He's content to collect a pay cheque and that's it. As much as I despise Braydon Coburn, at least he attempts to be better than what he really is. There's drive and there's desire there. Bouwmeester? If he had an ounce of what Coburn has in terms of desire and drive, there's no question he'd be an all world defenseman. It's too bad too because we could have witnessed a generational talent with Bouwmeester. Instead, we watch a guy who's content to go through the motions.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

If Perry is traded between the end of the season and the beginning of free agency, his price won't be that high because there are no guarantees that he'll sign where he is traded... and the window will likely be very short this year between the end of the season and the beginning of free agency.

Any GM who pays more than a mid-to-late 1st round pick for the rights to simply talk to Perry will have paid far too much.

Remember that the Flyers traded a late first round pick to speak with Hartnell & Timonen and many people were upset about that.

I get what you're saying with regards to Bouwmeester, but at the same time, he's played on some pretty good Florida and Calgary teams.

If over 82 games, your team isn't strong enough to make the playoffs, you're not on a good team.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If over 82 games, your team isn't strong enough to make the playoffs, you're not on a good team.

I don't always buy that. Anytime your team is up to 10 games over .500, in most leagues, that's good enough to be in the playoffs. I feel for Florida and Calgary because some years, to qualify for the playoffs, you're looking at 97 to 99 points to make it in. That's ridiculous and to be 4 points out is a kick in the nuts.

It's not as if Bouwmeester played on teams in Long Island or Columbus or any place like that. He played on teams that had legit shots at making it into the playoffs, especially the Florida team his last year there and his first two years in Calgary.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I don't always buy that. Anytime your team is up to 10 games over .500, in most leagues, that's good enough to be in the playoffs. I feel for Florida and Calgary because some years, to qualify for the playoffs, you're looking at 97 to 99 points to make it in. That's ridiculous and to be 4 points out is a kick in the nuts.

It's not as if Bouwmeester played on teams in Long Island or Columbus or any place like that. He played on teams that had legit shots at making it into the playoffs, especially the Florida team his last year there and his first two years in Calgary.

A 0.500 record in a league with uneven points per game is a terrible record. So, while 90 points is technically 8 games above 0.500, it's in a points percentage sense, which is skewed due to the extra point for an OT/SO win.

Essentially, you're team is graded on a curve in your conference in the NHL. If you miss the playoffs, your team is below the 50th percentile in that conference.

Calgary finished with 90 points (10th) in 09/10, 5 points behind the 8th seed. In 10/11, they finished with 94 points (10th), 3 points behind the 8th seed and with 32 ROW, which was 3 less than any team that qualified for the playoffs. These were not good teams.

His last year in Florida was probably the team that had the best chance to make the playoffs, losing out on a tie-breaker... doesn't mean Florida was a good team, as I would argue that it's possible for a weak team to make the playoffs (just means there are worse teams below them), but it's not possible for a good team to miss them.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Do not want Bouwmeester he isn't that good. Can we stop trying to think of ways to get him? He wasnt good last season and isnt playing that well this season. If Calgary said something like something around Mez + fill ins for Bouwmeester, thats one thing. The only two roster players I'd trade from the Flyers right now is Briere and Mez. Everyone else I wouldnt really move.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
We could do it. We'd just have to amnesty Briere and trade Meszaros to fit them both.

We could do something along the lines of this:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Corey Perry ($6.325m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Simon Gagne ($2.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.578m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Tye McGinn ($0.775m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.594m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($5.344m—20.0%)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.988m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
Buyout: Chris Pronger ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,354,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $745,333

(bought out Briere. bought out Pronger (only because I couldn't figure out how to get him on LTIR)). Trade picks and prospects (Laughton?) for J-Bo and they keep 20%, which is highly unlikely both on the trade and the retention of the salary IMO. Gave Perry only a million dollar raise because I honestly have no idea how things are going to go down this offseason with the drastic cap reduction. Signed Gagnge, well just because. Greiss I would like as a backup but I also don't really know how likely that is. But it could be done. Also ignore the D pairings, I didn't change them just left them as CG put them for default.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad