Make 5 oiler roster predictions for the off season

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
1. Ekblad falls to 3rd and we draft him
2. MacT cant come to an agreement with petry on a contract and trades him promptly.
3. MacT signs Derek Morris to a 4 year 4.0 mil/year contract.
4. MacT packages Marincin in a deal for immediate help
5. Gagner is traded for pennies
6. Oilers continues to bottom feed 30 games in, Lowe is replaced with Mark Messier and Eakins is replaced by MacT who will operate as the GM/coach.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
1. #3 pick is traded to Philadelphia for The Schenn brothers
2. Gagner is moved to Phoenix for David Rundblad
3. Mac T signs Steve Ott or David Bolland
4. Adam Oates is hired to help Dallas Eakins
5. Darnell Nurse plays his 9 games then Captains team Canada at the WJC.

Runblad plays for Chicago

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
1. Ekblad is drafted.
2. Marcel Goc is signed.
3. Mark Fayne (or a similar 5/6 guy) is signed
4. Sam Gagner is moved for a second round pick and a minor leaguer.
5. David Perron is traded in a package that lands a 2/3 d-man on an ELC

MagicOilers73

Jul 29, 2013
1) Draft a center(we don't have center depth)
2) Go after Grabovski(if Gags is moved) Ott, Downie in FA
3) Go after all the #1-2D in FA, overpay if necessary (I don't see a need for any other D)
4) Time to change the asst coaches, rehire Kruger as 1 of the assistant coaches.
5) Challenge for a playoff spot. :)

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
1) Draft a center(we don't have center depth)
2) Go after Grabovski(if Gags is moved) Ott, Downie in FA
3) Go after all the #1-2D in FA, overpay if necessary (I don't see a need for any other D)
4) Time to change the asst coaches, rehire Kruger as 1 of the assistant coaches.
5) Challenge for a playoff spot. :)

I'm sure Kruger would LOVE to come back here

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
1. They will draft Leon Draisaitl
2. They sign a 4-5 dman
3. Gagner stays :(
4. The Oiler management talk alot about how they tried to land a big free agent in a BOLD move, but fail.
5. The Oiler management talk alot about how they tried to make a trade for a big name in a BOLD move, but fail.

Bonus:
6. Oiler fans lap it up and talk about how the amazing Hall & Ebs will lead this team to the promised land.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
1. I assume they draft Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl at #3 depending on who is there
2. Sign Kulemin + Grabovksi
3. Offersheet Subban a monstrous offersheet of $10M/Season or something absurd ;)
4. Trade Gagner for a comparable struggling young player
5. Offer BIG money to Callahan + Markov but they go elsewhere.

If they did that I would give them a B+ for the offseason.

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Perron - Grabovski - Yakupov
Kulemin - Arcobello -Draisaitl
Hendricks - Gordon - Gazdic

Lander

Marincin - Subban
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Petry

Scrivens
Fasth

Last edited:

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
What I hope happens
1.) Edmonton packages a bunch of pieces like Gagner, 1st round picks, Klefbom/Marcinin for a legit top pairing defence man.
2.) Edmonton signs Statsny (Unlikey but one can dream)
3.) Edmonton adds to the 3rd overall to trade for the 1st overall and drafts Ekblad
4.) Edmonton find another Perron type deal for a second line winger to compliment Perron and Statsny
5.) Edmonton lands Phanuef

#6 Oilers get in trouble with the league for being way over the salary cap

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
What I think WILL happen (not what I want to)

1) Sam Gagner traded to Toronto for David Clarkson
2) Panthers take Reinhart, Buffalo Bennett... we want Ekblad but management goes Draistl
3) Schultz signs a 5 year 25 million dollar deal
4) Sign David Moss, Matt Greene, Derek Morris, Daniel Winnick, Olli Jokinen
5) We trade Petry's rights for a 4th rounder
6) Yakupov is moved for Ehrhoff, 2015 3rd
7) We move a 3rd this year and a 2015 2nd rounder for Chris Kelly

Next Year
Hall/Nuge/Eberle
Perron/Jokinen/Clarkson
Kelly/Gordon/Moss
Joensuu/Hendricks/Winnick
Gazdic/Lander

Schultz/Erhoff
Marincin/Ference
Morris/Greene
Fraser

Scrivens

-we end up with the 4th worst record... MacT expresses confidence in our coaching staff since we've improved.
Fasth

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
1. Draisaitl drafted
2. Gagner traded to Nashville for either Wilson or Ellis OR Buffalo for Myers
3. Acquire Brayden Schenn
4. Trade for a top-3 d-man (Green, Ehrhoff, Yandle, Phaneuf, Gardiner)
5. Sign both Grabovski and Kulemin
6. Sigh Moss

Last edited:

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
1. EDM drafts LD
2. Gagner is traded
3. Moss is signed as a UFA
4. EDM trades for Boychuk ( I really want this to happen so that we can get a legit 4 dman with size)
5. A lot of speculation at the draft floating around about trades involving EDM but nothing happens.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
This is not what I HOPE will happen, but what I think WILL happen:

1. Eakins will bring in at least one new assistant if not two.
2. Ekblad will fall to #3 and Oil will gladly pick him
3. Oilers make a trade for Boychuk.
4. Gagner will get traded in a 2-1 depth deal with the Oil bringing back some salary in a vet.
5. Oilers sign or trade for #2 centre (i.e.: Legwand, Stastny, Sutter)

Edit: although, now that I look at it, I think I would like these things to happen :)

1. check

:)

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
1. EDM drafts LD
2. Gagner is traded
3. Moss is signed as a UFA
4. EDM trades for Boychuk ( I really want this to happen so that we can get a legit 4 dman with size)
5. A lot of speculation at the draft floating around about trades involving EDM but nothing happens.

This is probably the most accurate thing in this whole thread that is bound to happen. Seems to happen every year..

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
After none of these moves happen out of desperation oilers try to get Gretzky out of retirement

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
1. We draft Draisaitl

2. Gagner is not traded.

3. MacT actively shops Yakupov and numerous leaks of a close deal will emerge, but at the end nothing will happen.

4. J.Schultz gets grossly overpaid.

5. MacT and Petry will go through some turbulence during negotiations and may result in Petry being traded.

Fairly wrong, although the Petry negotiation wasn't very smooth and we did draft LD.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Isles fan coming in peace. I think you guys can make a decent leap next season if you do the three main things we did last offseason; Acquire a goalie, acquire two veteran defenseman, get good veteran leadership to support younger players.

- Sign a goalie or trade for one.

Fasth and Scrivens both are nothing more than a 1B/backup. Good for 20-25 games, but push comes to shove, they're not capable starters. Your goalie prospects aren't ready/shouldn't be rushed to step in immediately.

Antii Niemi will more than likely be available. Bernier will be an RFA and I'm sure Toronto will dangle his rights in a trade this offseason. Whether a stopgap (Niemi) or semi-long term plans (Bernier) both would help. That or look for a team selling low on their goalie (Vancouver with Miller or Detroit with Jimmy Howard)

- Sign two defenseman.

I know Nurse, Klefbom, Mancarin, and Fayne are in the future plans. Nikitin, Ference, and Schultz are here for now. The former should be kept while the latter need to either be pushed down or moved out.

Target players like Christian Ehrhoff, Mike Green, Paul Martin, Zbynek Michalek, or Francois Beauchemin; players who can play bigger minutes/take pressure off the young kids and put them in a position to take over their roles 2-3 years, when they decline. Gonna have to overpay? More than likely. But quality veterans (and good players) are what the blueline desperately need.

- Sign some veteran Top 9 help.

I'm assuming some combo of RNH, Hall, Yak, Eberle is making up your Top 6. Which leaves holes at C and LW (assuming Draisaitl is in juniors/AHL). You have other miscellaneous pieces like Pouliot, Purcell, Pitlick that should be bottom 6.

Go target players like Jiri Tlusty, Mike Santorelli, who can bounce between the 2nd and 3rd line and can take some pressure off the younger 4.

I was gonna pitch an idea on the main board but it's probably better served here; a trade with the Kings -

Slava Voynov (assuming case clears) + Mike Richards @ 1.25 - 1.5 mil retained (gets his AAV to 4.25 to 4.5 mil) for a 3rd round pick plus a couple 4ths round picks and maybe a Mancarin type young piece.

Getting a young defenseman (especially as talented as Voynov, and if you can't acquire any via UFA) and a good vet presence (which is what Richards is, plus he'd stablize the Top 6) would go a long ways to helping out the team as a whole.

Names to keep an eye on as they're pending UFA's in 2016 and may not be in their team's future plans, so they'll be attainable: Brian Campbell, Luke Schenn, Chris Kelly, David Legwand.

I don't know, maybe I'm optimistic, but I definitely see light at the end of the tunnel for you guys sometimes soon. (For the love of God please revamp that draft department :help: )

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
I was gonna pitch an idea on the main board but it's probably better served here; a trade with the Kings -

Slava Voynov (assuming case clears) + Mike Richards @ 1.25 - 1.5 mil retained (gets his AAV to 4.25 to 4.5 mil) for a 3rd round pick plus a couple 4ths round picks and maybe a Mancarin type young piece.

I would buy a Voynov jersey just to cut the sleeves off of it.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Love how most of us thought Scrivens+Fasth would be good enough. Oh how we were wrong.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
1. Gagner gets traded to Toronto
2. UFA signings are Winnik, Markov and Moss
3. Reinhart and Bennett go 1-2. Oilers choose Draisaitl over Ekblad.
4. Nurse makes the team, Klefbom starts season in the AHL
5. Eakins fired after 40 games

At least I got #5 right.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad