Make 5 oiler roster predictions for the off season

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Kulemin or Moss signed, Penner signed for cheap, Gagner traded (echoing Nashville, NYI, or Florida), Draisaitl drafted.

They'll chase various defensemen in free agency but ultimately just end up overpaying for more 6-7s (Greene). They'll head into the season hoping rookie D-men will be able to manage.

I'm expecting another week or two of "in talks with the Flyers" as well.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Alright, I've figured it out!
1) Sign Markov - give him some big bucks, overpay a bit, he's the guy to buy! 2 years, $6 mill per or something.
2) Trade 3rd overall and 2nd round pick for 6th overall and Tanev (I already made the trade with Canuck fan on another thread).
3) Sign Brian Boyle 2 years, $2 mill per.
4) Sign Downie 2 years, $2 mill per.
5) Trade Klefbom and Khaira for Marleau and Irwin.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Gagner-Marleau-Yakupov
Perron-Boyle-Downie
Arcobello-Gordon-Hendricks

Markov-Tanev
Irwin-Petry
Schultz-Ference

Scrivens
Fasth

Let Marincin develop in the minors with a major role. Is that cap compliant?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
1. We trade the 3rd overall pick
2. Eberle becomes a Flyer
3. Land Kulemin + Grabovski
4. Ference traded back to Bruins
5. Gretzky joins the Oilers organization

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
1. Gagner starts the season as an Oiler. Top 2 lines are the same: Hall-RNH-Eberle, Perron-Gagner-Yakupov. Oilers board explodes.
2. All current assistance coaches are retained and a new one is added. Oilers board explodes. Chabot is let go.
3. Reinhart falls to #3. MacT trades that pick with Jesse Joensuu to the NYI for #5, Clutterbuck and a mid round pick. Flames pick Draisalt. Oilers board explodes. MacT trades #5 plus something minor for Shattenkirk. Oilers board is appeased.
4. Oilers offer Ott crazy Clarkson money, greater than $5M AAV. Oilers board explodes. Ott still signs elsewhere.
5. Only Greene and Pouliot are signed as UFAs. Oilers board explodes.
6. Messier is gradually groomed for the president role so that next year Lowe can transfer to a senior advisory position. Oilers board explodes.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
1. Gagner starts the season as an Oiler. Top 2 lines are the same: Hall-RNH-Eberle, Perron-Gagner-Yakupov. Oilers board explodes.
2. All current assistance coaches are retained and a new one is added. Oilers board explodes. Chabot is let go.
3. Reinhart falls to #3. MacT trades that pick with Jesse Joensuu to the NYI for #5, Clutterbuck and a mid round pick. Flames pick Draisalt. Oilers board explodes. MacT trades #5 plus something minor for Shattenkirk. Oilers board is appeased.
4. Oilers offer Ott crazy Clarkson money, greater than $5M AAV. Oilers board explodes. Ott still signs elsewhere.
6. Messier is gradually groomed for the president role so that next year Lowe can transfer to a senior advisory position. Oilers board explodes.

Oilers board explodes pretty much on a daily-weekly basis from July through April so you've got that part nailed down.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
1. J.Schultz resigned
2. Petry resigned
3. Lander makes the team
4. Nurse makes the team
5. Bennett makes the team

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Maybe implodes

victor

Sep 6, 2003
1. Yakupov scores 25 goals. HF focuses on his unsustainable shooting percentage.
2. Hall, Hopkins, and Eberle show up to camp in the best shape of their lives. Posters question the testing regimen.
3. Fasth comes out with an amazing performance in October. MacT's use of a third round pick for Scrivens in questioned repeatedly.
4. Edmonton picks a centre with the 3rd overall pick. Doesn't matter who is chosen, it's clearly a mistake. The term "Because Oilers." is thrown around by posters who can't find anything valuable to add.
5. Edmonton's powerplay improves to top 10 in the NHL. While I can't find anything negative about it, some posters will.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
1. We trade the 3rd overall pick
2. Eberle becomes a Flyer
3. Land Kulemin + Grabovski
4. Ference traded back to Bruins
5. Gretzky joins the Oilers organization

I had Eberle going to the flyers until Homer got kicked up stairs--I think we will see the flyers win and dine Kesler from Vancouver

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well here is what I wish would happen:

1. Oilers draft Aaron Ekblad
2. Oilers manage to sign Jason Spezza and Dion Phanuef to contracts
3. Darnell Nurse makes the team and instantly becomes a star defencemen in the NHL
4. Oilers sign goaltender Ryan Miller to a contract
5. Oilers fire Eakins and hire John Tortorella as head coach.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
1. sam Bennett, reinhart, or ekblad. (if jones fell to 4, ekblad could fall to 3)
2. hold onto gagner as no elite d-men available.
3. yakimov goes into beast mode with yakupov on 4th/3rd line
4. nurse makes team
5. petry signs deal for 5.25/per

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
1. sam Bennett, reinhart, or ekblad. (if jones fell to 4, ekblad could fall to 3)
2. hold onto gagner as no elite d-men available.
3. yakimov goes into beast mode with yakupov on 4th/3rd line
4. nurse makes team
5. petry signs deal for 5.25/per

That's an ugly number, I hope to god they have more sense then that.

captaincaptain

Mar 9, 2011
1. Ekblad falls to Edmonton at #3, both him and Nurse stay in the OHL.
2. Gagner is moved for two draft picks.
3. Edmonton drafts Kamenev with one of the Gagner picks, middle of the road WHLers (including Kulda), and an overage goalie.
4. Mac-T fails to land any significant free agents, defensive core stays roughly the same.
5. After another lottery pick finish, Eakins is fired and Lowe resigns.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
1. #3 pick is traded to Philadelphia for The Schenn brothers
2. Gagner is moved to Phoenix for David Rundblad
3. Mac T signs Steve Ott or David Bolland
4. Adam Oates is hired to help Dallas Eakins
5. Darnell Nurse plays his 9 games then Captains team Canada at the WJC.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
1. Draisaitl drafted 3rd OA

2. 4 UFA's signed on July 1st, 2 3rd line wingers, depth center and depth defenceman

3. Offer sheet to PK Subban

4. Gagner+Petry for an upgrade on defence

5. Eakins fired halfway into next season

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Well here is what I wish would happen:

1. Oilers draft Aaron Ekblad
2. Oilers manage to sign Jason Spezza and Dion Phanuef to contracts
3. Darnell Nurse makes the team and instantly becomes a star defencemen in the NHL
4. Oilers sign goaltender Ryan Miller to a contract
5. Oilers fire Eakins and hire John Tortorella as head coach.

Spezza and Phaneuf already have contracts.

Tortorella has also proven his incompetence, and I doubt he's coaching next year. He was always a side show, but now he's a failure on top of it. Teams probably don't want to bother with both of those things.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
1. Draft Draisaitl
2. Gagner stays, nobody wants his sorry ass.
3. Mactavish interviews candidates for assistant gm role, while doing so he is overcome with how fantastic one of the prospective suitors is he fires himself and hires the applicant on the spot.
4. New gm Kelly Buchberger delivers on his promise of bold moves, trading Ben Scrivens and Victor Fasth to the Montreal Canadiens for Peter Budaj and Devan Dubnyk.
5. Buchberger fires Eakins and hires Craig Mactavish to be the new head coach.

Just read this again. Still laughing.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Alright, I've figured it out!
1) Sign Markov - give him some big bucks, overpay a bit, he's the guy to buy! 2 years, $6 mill per or something.
2) Trade 3rd overall and 2nd round pick for 6th overall and Tanev (I already made the trade with Canuck fan on another thread).
3) Sign Brian Boyle 2 years, $2 mill per.
4) Sign Downie 2 years, $2 mill per.
5) Trade Klefbom and Khaira for Marleau and Irwin.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Gagner-Marleau-Yakupov
Perron-Boyle-Downie
Arcobello-Gordon-Hendricks

Markov-Tanev
Irwin-Petry
Schultz-Ference

Scrivens
Fasth

Let Marincin develop in the minors with a major role. Is that cap compliant?

Sorry--the difference between 2 and 6 is more than Tanev-- Take a look at who Tanev plays with to understand why he looks so good most of the time and we do not have a second rounder this year. and we do not add to move down out of the top 5--after the top we are drafing a guy 3 to 5 years away and who will be more of a project

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Sorry--the difference between 2 and 6 is more than Tanev-- Take a look at who Tanev plays with to understand why he looks so good most of the time and we do not have a second rounder this year. and we do not add to move down out of the top 5--after the top we are drafing a guy 3 to 5 years away and who will be more of a project

Hmmm, I personally think Tanev is better than anything we have. I probably, unfortunately, see more Canuck games than Oilers and Tanev is a well rounded guy that is very good defensively. With or without Hamhuis, Tanev knows how to play defense better than anyone we have, I think...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hmmm, I personally think Tanev is better than anything we have. I probably, unfortunately, see more Canuck games than Oilers and Tanev is a well rounded guy that is very good defensively. With or without Hamhuis, Tanev knows how to play defense better than anyone we have, I think...

Tanev looks good because he spent so much time playing with better D-men. For me Petry and J Schultz will end up being better then Tanev

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Tanev looks good because he spent so much time playing with better D-men. For me Petry and J Schultz will end up being better then Tanev

I disagree. Granted I only watched a couple of Canucks games this year but the ones I saw Tanev looked a lot better than anything we have, regardless of who he was playing with. I'd gladly trade any of our D for Tanev. Vastly underrated player.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
1) Big Leon gets drafted but doesn't make team
2) Gagner gets traded
3) Oilers sign Grabovski and Kulemin
4) Oilers move Buchberger off the coaching staff
5) Oilers make some kind of big trade with Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad