Post-Game Talk: Major League: Bachman to the Minors ... 2-1 SO/L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Because 9 times out of 10 this season, he does something stupid with the puck.

Actually Yakupov usually makes a pretty good play with the puck once he gets it.

His problem is he's been too stupid to get the puck. Finding an open spot, and god forbid he win a battle for the puck

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Bachman has been a very inconsistent goalie in his short NHL career, but he is doing one thing that Labarbra isn't and that's having at least one good game.

I'd take inconsistently good over consistently bad any day. Both Dubey and Barbie could have been playing in net at the same time and they wouldn't have stopped all those shots.

Young goalies take time to figure it out. Bachman hasn't been stellar in the NHL so far, aside from last night, but I seem to recall that he was the best goalie in the AHL the last year or two. He's been good in OKC too. He's right at the age when most goalies start to get it together.

Its a small sample size, but he looked good. I mean, it didn't look like he was all fluke luck out there. He was in the right spot to make the save. He wasn't a mess when there were scrambles around the net. Hell, I was gaining confidence just watching him. I think my posture improved and everything.

We need somebody to step up and steal a job. And I don't care who's it is. I'd keep playing him and we can find out what he's got. If he lets in less than 5 goals a game, he can stay as the backup. If he can let in less than 4 a game, he can be the starter.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
One game=LIFE HAS CHANGED/hfboards

and that is why I don't take this site seriously.

.885 save percentage last year for Bachman. First few games last year were horrendous, when it mattered. This is a fluke IMO.

He had a .909 the year before. I agree that we can't annoint him the saviour, but we can't call him nothing either, based on 13 games.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
That scramble where Kopitar got off two shots from the crease goes in 10 times out of 10 on Dubnyk or Labarbera, honestly. Bachman absolutely stole a point for us last night, it's one game, but it's more than Labarbera has done for us this season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'd take inconsistently good over consistently bad any day. Both Dubey and Barbie could have been playing in net at the same time and they wouldn't have stopped all those shots.

Young goalies take time to figure it out. Bachman hasn't been stellar in the NHL so far, aside from last night, but I seem to recall that he was the best goalie in the AHL the last year or two. He's been good in OKC too. He's right at the age when most goalies start to get it together.

Its a small sample size, but he looked good. I mean, it didn't look like he was all fluke luck out there. He was in the right spot to make the save. He wasn't a mess when there were scrambles around the net. Hell, I was gaining confidence just watching him. I think my posture improved and everything.

We need somebody to step up and steal a job. And I don't care who's it is. I'd keep playing him and we can find out what he's got. If he lets in less than 5 goals a game, he can stay as the backup. If he can let in less than 4 a game, he can be the starter.

Yeah its one game but kid looks really tuned in, was seeing screens well, had good attention to detail and was anticipating play very nicely. He was making difficult stops look routine. He was making 5 bell saves nobody else here makes.

As you stated goalie time frames are different and some take longer to figure it out. Its quite clear with Dubnyk its about as good as he gets. But we haven't seen a lot of Bachman. what we have seen looks pretty good.

Bachman hasn't had anywhere near the NHL sample where people can say exactly where he peaks or falls. So I'll use my eyes on this one.

Good pickup. This is the kind of take a chance that is worthwhile. Goalie who is mature, good condition, has some potential upside, and could turn out to be the one.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Even with the oilers under siege for most of the game I felt more comfortable with Bachman in there than I ever have with Duby between the pipes. As far as I'm concerned it's his net to lose. Labarbera can F off. I've never liked him as a goalie and the scout who pushed for him should be horse whipped. Duby can ride out the season sharing time with Bachman then take a flying leap.

Pros and Cons

Mar 22, 2007
Atlantic Canada
That scramble where Kopitar got off two shots from the crease goes in 10 times out of 10 on Dubnyk or Labarbera, honestly. Bachman absolutely stole a point for us last night, it's one game, but it's more than Labarbera has done for us this season.

Commending performance by Bachman.
All these one goal losses do speak of something, those games could have been won (not based on how the game was played, but the fact that other team did not exactly destroy the Oilers). There is time & room for improvement with the team, and I do believe that.
The players just need to get themselves motivated to make the best of every opportunity, on the ice, in the room, in the training room, etc......

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
What, seriously?

And last game the Coyotes got all three stars...

Who picks these things?

Actually, I think in LA they let the visiting media pick the three stars. To be fair, the picks usually have to be made sometime around the middle of the third period so that they are ready to go at the end of the game, so that skews the picks. Quick did make that big rollover save that was probably a game saver so that may have been a factor. Bachman's two big saves on Kopi wouldn't have been considered because they were late in the game after the stars of the game had been chosen.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Weird because i thought this was the Oilers worst game of the season by a decent margin and there have been some doozies. I know that the Kings are an excellent team but the Oilers were handing it to them on a silver platter in the second half of the game, turning the puck over like mad, afraid to take a hit and not having one decent cycle shift until the end of the 3rd with Perron and Gordon. I know that it was the second half of a back to back and that L.A. is a horrible matchup for them but that performance was putrid all around outside of Bachman of course.
To put things in perspective, i watched the Flames play this L.A. team and it was night and day compared to the Oilers. Much more competitive, they traded chances more frequently and looked the part of a decent NHL team.
I'm absolutely floored that so many here thought that was a fine team performance. Low standards i guess.

Calgary right now has a lot of people playing desperate and for their jobs. I've given the Flames credit, and for that game. But lets look at it. Flames like to try to play a more rugged game than us, have more vets than us that do, and their lineup is composed to play that style of game. So they hung around. But Flames had everythng going right for them in that game. 3PP goals in 3 chances. C'mon, how many times is that going to happen to Calgary?

First goal LA does everything they want, hammer the puck carrier that gained the zone, but puck miraculously bounces right to an open flame and a quick pass across the ice for a one timer goal perfectly placed. Unless you think Cammeleri is god they can try to execute that play 10 times and maybe make it once.

Next goal again on PP, a miraculous pinball from a poor angle shot rebounds perfectly on to Monahans stick and puts it in a wide open net. I look at these goals as random happenchance.

Final goal a seeing eyeshot through screen by Brodie who's scored 4 other goals in his NHL career. This is half his NHL goal quotient per year. enjoy.

Flames right now are riding improbability drive overtime. Everything going right for them. Not to diminish hard work but they're a lunchbucket club that be lucky to finish .500. I suspect below that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It would be nice to have one bounce go our way this season.

We can't still be making up for Samsonovs goal against San Jose can we?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Some interesting stats from last night:

Yak played over 20mins
Lander over 14 while Acton got 6:27. Both were 25% on the dot.
Gordon was 21-10 (68%) on the dot.. took 42 shifts for only 18:00TOI
Perron and Eberle both played 23mins+

EDM players blocked 18shots.. LA with 7.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Not at all. La KIngs are just that good. We haven't played anything like a club this good all year.

A club that has the following trees on back end;

Doughty
Mitchell
Greene
Regehr
Muzzin

A forward unit thats going to make life incredibly tough.

Kings played a good game tonight and kept very physical with us. We have no answer for that but thought the guys played with a lot of effort.

Bachman was god in goal though.

But this is the gold standard right here. How your team matches up to the best system play team in the game.

Agreed, despite what the score clock showed, I thought the Oil played a decent game tonight, fighting hard against the boards against a big strong team. They were out of gas for the 3rd but still battled in our own zone to limit there scoring chances.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Some interesting stats from last night:

Yak played over 20mins
Lander over 14 while Acton got 6:27. Both were 25% on the dot.
Gordon was 21-10 (68%) on the dot.. took 42 shifts for only 18:00TOI
Perron and Eberle both played 23mins+

EDM players blocked 18shots.. LA with 7.

I'm glad they gave Yak a lot of minutes. Shows that coach realized it was his best game of the year. Hard not to when he scores the only goal on a brilliant finish.
Gordon was heroic. Was put in for a lot of the ownzone draws. Made over 2/3's incredibly gutty effort and player. Horcoff should be embarrassed.

I would have liked the line minutes to be distributed better though as topsix was gassed in the 3rd period. Eberle had 15mins after two periods so not surprised he finished so high.

Oilers would all be sore, and exhausted today. Dressingroom probably looking like a MASH unit. This is as close to playoff game as one gets playing against the disciplined, intense, physical LA Kings.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Actually Yakupov usually makes a pretty good play with the puck once he gets it.

His problem is he's been too stupid to get the puck. Finding an open spot, and god forbid he win a battle for the puck

Yak is having a bad tendency to over stick handle the puck right now. He played a bit smarter last night but he has a tendency to lose it in guys skates at the moment.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
One game=LIFE HAS CHANGED/hfboards

and that is why I don't take this site seriously.

.885 save percentage last year for Bachman. First few games last year were horrendous, when it mattered. This is a fluke IMO.

Wow never said Bachman was the answer to our problems. He's just better than Dubnyk and labarbs right now. Both will not be here next year.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lets hope Eakins rolls with him til he fails\falls down to the level of the other 2.
<mainly because I picked him up on my fantasy team :D>

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Lets hope Eakins rolls with him til he fails\falls down to the level of the other 2.
<mainly because I picked him up on my fantasy team :D>

If Bachman needs to fall down to the level of the other two in order to lose the net you can pencil him in for seventy consecutive starts.

smythfan

Aug 21, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
For all the judgment thrown Yaks way for his desire to over handle the puck he isn't the only one. Last night Eberle was practically in the slot TWICE towards the end of the game and instead of shooting BOTH times he tried to make a slick move and both times he lost the puck. It is beyond frustrating at the inability of ALL of these guys to just shoot the bloody puck when they have glorious scoring chances. It's either pass it or trying to get cute. Sigh!

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
If that happens we need to find the new Roloson.

It's been about that long since we've had a goalie that actually stop the ones he is supposed to stop. Dudy has never done that and I'm not sure where the irrational faith in him from management comes from. I think it must be klowe not wanting to admit he drafted another dud.:( I actually remember lowe stating in an interview a couple years back that Dudnyk may actually be considered for team Canada in some bizarre scenario where he somehow morphs into a legitimate goalie :facepalm:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
For all the talk about how bad Bachman was last year, he was a decent backup two years prior.

Seems only fair to mention the good, and not just the bad.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For all the judgment thrown Yaks way for his desire to over handle the puck he isn't the only one. Last night Eberle was practically in the slot TWICE towards the end of the game and instead of shooting BOTH times he tried to make a slick move and both times he lost the puck. It is beyond frustrating at the inability of ALL of these guys to just shoot the bloody puck when they have glorious scoring chances. It's either pass it or trying to get cute. Sigh!

Eberle and RNH have their share of blunders, but the one thing they do like Hall was doing is produce. You screw up a couple times, but are still putting up points then you get a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad