Post-Game Talk: Major League: Bachman to the Minors ... 2-1 SO/L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
For all the judgment thrown Yaks way for his desire to over handle the puck he isn't the only one. Last night Eberle was practically in the slot TWICE towards the end of the game and instead of shooting BOTH times he tried to make a slick move and both times he lost the puck. It is beyond frustrating at the inability of ALL of these guys to just shoot the bloody puck when they have glorious scoring chances. It's either pass it or trying to get cute. Sigh!

Oiler players should be banned from anything to do with "toe drag"

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
shots were 48-18.

this should have been a bloodbath.

lucky to get a point.

Very lucky.

Backman played great...too bad his small size will prevent him from being an effective starter.

The team played better but there are still too many stupid decisions with the puck int heir own zone. I stopped counting the giveaways (stupid little passes into the centre of the ice) at 6.

Assuming its even possible its going to be tough to coach the stupid out of their play.
This team will NEVER be competitive until they smarten up.
The Oilers looked small in this game as well.

This teams season is almost over (in terms of the playoffs) and its not even the end of October. :shakehead

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Very lucky.

Backman played great...too bad his small size will prevent him from being an effective starter.

The team played better but there are still too many stupid decisions with the puck int heir own zone. I stopped counting the giveaways (stupid little passes into the centre of the ice) at 6.

Assuming its even possible its going to be tough to coach the stupid out of their play.

This teams season is almost over (in terms of the playoffs) and its not even the end of October. :shakehead

He doesn't need to be an effective starter, he just needs to be a be able to stop a bloody puck once in a while.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
For all the judgment thrown Yaks way for his desire to over handle the puck he isn't the only one. Last night Eberle was practically in the slot TWICE towards the end of the game and instead of shooting BOTH times he tried to make a slick move and both times he lost the puck. It is beyond frustrating at the inability of ALL of these guys to just shoot the bloody puck when they have glorious scoring chances. It's either pass it or trying to get cute. Sigh!

that was infuriating.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He doesn't need to be an effective starter, he just needs to be a be able to stop a bloody puck once in a while.

I agree.
That said goaltending is one of many holes on this team and they have no one in the system who can play in the event Dubnyk cant get his game together.

That is a fail for this organization.

Couple that with the multiple holes on this team and we have a recipe for the longest rebuild in NHL history.

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
One thing I loved about that game was a shot/goal you KNEW dubnyk would give up, ie goal with 30 seconds left, this guy stopped

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree.
That said goaltending is one of many holes on this team and they have no one in the system who can play in the event Dubnyk cant get his game together.

That is a fail for this organization.

Couple that with the multiple holes on this team and we have a recipe for the longest rebuild in NHL history.

While I agree, I agree. :D

haha

But that said MacT did more in one offseason than Tambo did in all of them. We have attained more helpful players that are performing reasonably well than Tambo accrued his whole tenure here.
With the goaltending as well MacT went fishing in that pond too as we know but all he caught was LaBarbera and Bachman. Although Bachman is looking pretty good. For all we know Bachman was MacT's ace in hole.

In anycase the did recruit two players in acknowledging an obvious need. But again a need his predecessor REFUSED to acknowledge.

Overall I give Mact some credit. Climbing out of this abyss wasn't going to be at all easy as we know.

What has surprised me somewhat is how good the recruits have been. With the exception of LaBarbera and maybe Ference they're better then expected. Unfortunately we've had the notable injuries and some subpar performances from incumbents.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
For all the talk about how bad Bachman was last year, he was a decent backup two years prior.

Seems only fair to mention the good, and not just the bad.

hey I loved Bachman last year too.. He won me my Yahoo league.. Picked him up last April and he had 3 or 4 wins the week of my finals.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
So completely dominated again. Got a point but yup...this team is in trouble. Bachman was fantastic.

I didn't watch this game, but looking at the shot totals it definitely does look like we got lucky with the point. However, I wouldn't say we're consistently getting outplayed. From the games I've watched, we've been close or slightly outplaying the opposition. It's been our D and goaltending that continues to let us down.

Waive Labarbera once Dubnyk is healthy. Bachman just won the back-up spot IMO.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

People keep on saying this.

You know what also would help the Oilers record? If the team would learn how to not turnover the puck in the neutral zone, or worse in their own zone. The difference between the LA Kings team play and the Oilers is like night and day.

Is Jonathan Quick a strong goalie? Of course. But it sure helps when the team playing in front of him boxes out the opposition, denies the neutral zone, denies the blue line and any lanes to the net, and doesn't turn over the puck every damn shift.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I'm at the point now where these small victories in certain situations/after certain games mean little to nothing for me. Ultimately this team, this whole organization needs to shape up, grow up, and stop playing Mickey Mouse... never was one for a "sell the farm" type of deal but this franchise needs a game changer, an about face sort of moment, something to help turn the tides... cuz the sentiment in the viewing public, whether it be hardcore fan, casual fan, non fan is that this team is a bit of a joke and that things are taking longer than normal to culminate. It's not a good look for the city as essentially it's the one big thing they have going for them... going off on a bit of a tangent but I would be in favour of making a deal for Shea Weber. Thy have to move one of the kids, I think the only true untouchable would be RNH... other than that I could careless.

I'm just beyond frustrated, living and dying with this team. Something's gotta give. They got to get better defensively, they need better goaltending, they need to play better away from the puck. It's all just incredibly slow burning and painful to watch.

And don't get me wron I'm able to function normally away from the games and all the mess and gongshow that this team can be, I go to work, I have my relationships and I currently have a pretty good life but I want this team and this city to succeed badly. They need a serious upgrade in talent on the back end, they need to get more rugged, they need to have someone who can initiate and not simply react.

Last edited:

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
Very lucky.

Size isn't everything and you know that. There have been a ton of effective starters in this league under 6 feet. I'm not saying Bachman is our saving grace but his size shouldn't be used to dismiss him as a potentially capable starter.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Very lucky.

He is the same size as Tim Thomas and N. Backstrom. It isn't like he is gary coleman out there trying to become a goalie.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Hey, I have Bachman's game worn 2010 ECHL All Star Jersey if anyone wants to make a knee jerk reaction, and buy it for more than it's worth... I might even throw in a few Patrick O'Sullivan sweaters ;)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
Hearing EDM's Sam Gagner (broken jaw) is getting much closer to a return. How close? Good question. This week? Tomorrow? We'll see.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I'll take this effort anytime. I think the most intent I've seen from the Oilers this year but against an opponent that even giving their best is too much. No shame at all in losing to the LA KIngs and especially in LA.

Is that you Horcoff? It's ok to lose they are better than us.

Crap..

D was good. Goalie was better than good (not stellar, the d finally did its job but no softies like the other g's). That leaves the forwards being mediocre and coaching. Played into the Kings game plan. Rookie coach.

Lost the game. Crap. No excuses with our record as it is.

Last edited:

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I loves me a goalie who's smart, with fast reflexes, and battles like all hell to keep the puck out of the net over a big goalie any day.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Should really link to the other thread where it was talked about that the big advantage to being a big goalie may be over. WAtching DUbs and Labarbera sucks sure seems to confirm this so far. Maybe Bachman's size is almost an advantage with the new rules.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad