Prospect Info: Magua's 2018 NHL Pseudo Draft Guide

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I agree that this is a very good work up here, but nothing wrong with arguing with his rankings.
I get it but why argue about something he believes in. Same as I want a rough and tumble type flyers team with different leaders. Posters bash posters for no good f***ing reason. People shouldn't get wound up to much about maguas ranking because it's what he believes. Opinions people opinions.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
First, awesome work @Magua. Since the local radio stations don't talk draft, I'll read these to my kid and it'll be make pretend high-end coverage.

Accurate as ****.
This is an interesting moment when the filter is robbing some of the meaning here. Typically the **** are ubiquitous, but if the original word began with an s, or an f, it would imply different meanings. I'm guessing it's an f, but would be amused if it was an s. Alas, this is a family friendly web-site.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is an interesting moment when the filter is robbing some of the meaning here. Typically the **** are ubiquitous, but if the original word began with an s, or an f, it would imply different meanings. I'm guessing it's an f, but would be amused if it was an s. Alas, this is a family friendly web-site.

When it comes to Fart Vacuum, you can always assume it's an "f" :thumbu:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Thats what lists are for is to compare etc... complaining about where this person or that person has someone is pointless . We will have the draft in a few days and there are kids that get drafted in the seventh round or go undrafted that will work out better than some that go in the first . Scouting is not an exact science even with all the work scouts put in that's what makes it fun. I really like going back 2- 3-4-5 years and see how players look now compared to their draft spot , it quite funny sometimes. There are kids the Flyers draft that out preform their draft rankings and ones that under preform and we have a good group of scouts . Personally i'm not as high on Farabee as most but so what that's just my opinion.

Reactions: kudymen and hatcher

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that Bob McKenzie is probably far more plugged in than Mark Edwards. It is certainly your prerogative though if you would rather take his word for it. The good news is our all of questions will be answered in just three days.

There seems to be some confusion between mock drafts and rankings of players based on evaluations of their long-term prospects as NHL players.

McKenzie's list is a mock draft list based on input from 10 NHL scouts.

To quote the man himself:

"It’s always worth pointing out a few things about the nature of the TSN rankings.

This is not a subjective evaluation of which prospects TSN believes will be the best NHL players in time. That job belongs to the NHL scouts and various independent scouting services.

TSN rankings are a forecast of how high or low a prospect is likely to be chosen on draft day.
That forecast is obtained by polling 10 NHL scouts, compiling their ratings into a consensus ranking."

I've subscribed to HockeyProspects.com's service for a number of years. Mark Edwards and his team do original scouting and prepare a list of who they think will be the better NHL prospects, in time. They aren't trying to predict the draft order.

Magua can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think his list is a mock either. He's not trying to predict who will picked when on Friday and Saturday. Like Mark Edwards, he's giving us his list of how he rates the quality of the available players as NHL prospects.

Craig Button does mock drafts for TSN and he also produces "Craig's List" which ranks prospects based on who he thinks will be the best NHL player in several years time. There can be big variances in these two lists. For example, his most recent mock draft has Veleno going at #15, but his personal opinion is that Veleno is the 28th best player (on a long-term basis) in the draft.

While McKenzie has great contacts, and his list is a good read, don't read too much into it. It's just a mock draft.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Thanks, peeps. Of course the site is running like crap today. Oh well. Hopefully more people trickle in.

I'm not one of those guys usually, but I put in enough damn time on this I'm trying to spread it around, at least to the Flyers community. I don't have a Twitter account, but if anyone wanted to help others (maybe) anywhere see it, I'll love you forever. :naughty:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Thanks, peeps. Of course the site is running like crap today. Oh well. Hopefully more people trickle in.

I'm not one of those guys usually, but I put in enough damn time on this I'm trying to spread it around, at least to the Flyers community. I don't have a Twitter account, but if anyone wanted to help others (maybe) anywhere see it, I'll love you forever. :naughty:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Wow your wrote ALOT. I’ve already read around 10 or so, it’s great. Gotta watch a couple guys over again with some of these rankings.

Compiling everything I wrote over the season was a lot all together. I was a little worried it was too much. But I kept doing extra write-ups and adding to existing ones the last month. I just said f*** it lol. I left off Topping and Roman at the end, though I can just briefly say that Topping reminds me of a slightly lesser Akil Thomas and Roman is another bottom 6 type center who had a bad ankle injury but needs skating work too, as its a little sloppy. Both high IQ, high floor players with some skill. Topping in particular I like as a Flyers type safe 3/4 rounder. It's a very general area by that point so there's wiggle room.

I have like 40 other names on a sheet, a good deal I haven't watched, I might just info dump pre-draft. They're just names I've gathered, not reports or opinions. It's fun to see if the Flyers draft one. They did with Laczynski and Cates.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Holy shit dude.... well done.

TvceW.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00