Prospect Info: Magua's 2018 NHL Pseudo Draft Guide

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
4c9553b4b02a4b361090773f00bc37e6.gif

My rankings and alphabetized write-ups are below in the attachment provided. There are a few players I didn’t do write-ups on, either because they’re top of the draft players and I had nothing special to contribute, or I had minimal viewings and did not feel comfortable blathering about them (Bokk, Ylonen, Eriksson, and to a lesser extent O’Brien and Bernard-Docker, though I did see game tape). I generally tried to rank those players conservatively but didn’t want to exclude them either. So, grain of salt. I chose not to rank goalies or re-entries and also had several leftover write-ups from earlier in the season that I included for unranked players, some consensus top 2 rounders even.

I sincerely appreciate that even a few people here might half-care (quarter-care?) what I write. Right or more likely wrong, I put in a lot of effort on this. These thoughts were batted around in my brain over and over, so if there’s anything I can explain or answer, I gladly will.

I may tweak a thing or two before the draft, we'll see, but I wanted to get this out there because I know it may take a few sittings to read, if you're kind and interested enough to read it. If nothing else, I tried my best and did this almost year-long project to both test myself and perhaps provide something informative! Feel free to share it to any interested parties!

Last edited:

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
And I thought my Jay Obrien at 30 was high. :)

Khovanov's health issues last year really screwed him in my opinion! If he is there that late, I really hope the Flyers go after him.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Like i have said Magua i do not necessarly agree with all your picks but i like your reasoning and insights into this it's a good read , much appreciated

Reactions: Magua

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Bob McKenzie's list every year is based on polling scouts which came out yesterday. Veleno is 14 on his list, Kupari is 20. Also, Berggren is 38.

"I know Veleno is a popular player (I hear he is a great kid too) but I can tell you that at least 80% of the NHL scouts I spoke to about Veleno had him as a 2nd rounder" - Mark Edwards.

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
"I know Veleno is a popular player (I hear he is a great kid too) but I can tell you that at least 80% of the NHL scouts I spoke to about Veleno had him as a 2nd rounder" - Mark Edwards.
I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that Bob McKenzie is probably far more plugged in than Mark Edwards. It is certainly your prerogative though if you would rather take his word for it. The good news is our all of questions will be answered in just three days.

Reactions: hatcher

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that Bob McKenzie is probably far more plugged in than Mark Edwards. It is certainly your prerogative though if you would rather take his word for it. The good news is our all of questions will be answered in just three days.

Some questions, but we won't really know for several years. I could definitely see a team reach on Veleno because center. I actually think he will go fairly early.

Dallas needs centers and I could see them taking Veleno. I just don't think he should that high. Personally, my mock draft and actual rankings are quite different.

It will be interesting to compare Magua/others lists to the consensus lists in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->