Prospect Info: Magua's 2018 NHL Pseudo Draft Guide

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm so dang excited I just need to vomit some thoughts out!

17Cb.gif

If I really had to guess, knowing how the Flyers have drafted in previous years.......

I think they would take someone like Kravtsov or Hayton or Farabee if they were there at 14. Likely the first two are not. I feel like Ty Smith hits a lot of what they like in forwards, but they've never used a high pick on a new age small puck mover like him, so I'm skeptical.

I wouldn't put it past them to just draft Kaut at 14, or even Miller at 14 if they really felt he wouldn't last and no one falls. Of all the defensemen in our range, I just have a sneaky feeling with K'Andre. They love intangibles and high-end physical tools and some raw potential out of their d-men. Could just as easily see Miller or Kaut at 19 too. Sandin is another guy like Smith but more physical and might be there even later than 19. And as has been said, would they really not target a single CHL player with 2 1sts? Problem is Sandin may be the only one worth it.

A small part of me does wonder where the Flyers sit in the Veleno debate. You have Mark Edwards saying 80% of scouts think he's a late 1st-early 2nd, but McKenzie having him in the low teens still, and while the Flyers don't like low hockey sense, they love physical tools and motor and intangibles -- which he has. I would be totally floored (and not happy) to see them take Kupari. More surprised than floored to see them take Denisenko.

I think the Flyers value floor and the confidence a player can hit their ceiling too much to take Noel. Bokk would be uncharacteristic. Lundestrom could be in the cards at 19, though I think that's reaching on a way too safe player without the upside to justify it, especially as he fits into the organization. But I wouldn't put it past them. Same with Dellandrea, but luckily that's too early. And the Flyers always love to have their reach targets; did it with Sanheim and Frost. I know I'm biased, but if there's a more pure offensive player they take at 19+, to me it's Berggren. They value motor/physical ability, hockey sense, skill, skating, and floor with skilled undersized players (really any player), and he fits the bill. Trading back obviously opens up possibilities to target. From Lundkvist to the North Dakota twosome to Samuelsson to Beaudin.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Today is going to be a lot of fun. For me, this is my 30th year of following the draft. I didn't get too serious about it until 1990 and was fortunate enough to see Ricci a bunch of times with the Petes. So, I had a soft spot for him and was pretty devastated when he was part of the Lindros deal.

Things have changed so much...Tuesday newpapers in Canada had a stats page and the next Tuesday after the draft would have all the selections. Most of the players that were selected by the Flyers I had to start research on after not even hearing of them before. That meant going through old Hockey News and Hockey Digests (they had very little on prospects), OHL/QMJHL/WHL yearbooks, junior hockey cards to see their stats and keeping line-up sheets from previously attended junior games. Man, the internet is handy!

I digress....

I am hoping for Smith to fall to 14 and my pipe dream is Boqvist. This draft I have a soft spot for Groulx and McIsaac but am hoping for one of them at 50 (I don't think either is a first round pick at this point). The 2016 QMJHL draft was here on PEI and Halifax made a big trade to get selection #2 as they already had #1. I have been able to see both of them live a half dozen times since they were selected. My first couple viewings of Groulx were not good. He seemed to take a lot of time adjust to major junior and the first time I saw him (a preseason game in Pownal, PE in August 2016) he was invisible and I left shaking my head at the selection. McIsaac on the other hand in that same first viewing, seemed poised and definitely worthy of a high selection. Since then, I have grown to like Groulx's game, he seems like he will fit in really nicely in a 3rd line/penalty killing role at the NHL level.

Thanks @Magua for posting your rankings.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Magua this is an awesome resource. I always find myself agreeing with your opinions on players. The way you describe them is usually what I'll see when i finally look at some video of a player. I shared this with a freind as well and we're both excited to see where these players end up and then read up on them in your report.

I'm also blaming you for my attachment to Berggren. You mentioned him long ago and I havent been able to shake the thought of drafting him ever since. If we dont get Berggren, I'm going to be massively disappointed and that's all on you ;P

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Magua this is an awesome resource. I always find myself agreeing with your opinions on players. The way you describe them is usually what I'll see when i finally look at some video of a player. I shared this with a freind as well and we're both excited to see where these players end up and then read up on them in your report.

I'm also blaming you for my attachment to Berggren. You mentioned him long ago and I havent been able to shake the thought of drafting him ever since. If we dont get Berggren, I'm going to be massively disappointed and that's all on you ;P

Yep, he's basically a terrible person. Unless we draft Berggren, in which case he's fine lol :naughty:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Okay, so my board still has:
  1. Jonatan Berggren
  2. Bulat Shafigullin
  3. Jonny Tychonick
  4. Serron Noel
  5. Ryan McLeod
  6. Niklas Nordgren
  7. Mattias Samuelsson
  8. Jake Wise
  9. Danila Zhuravlyov
  10. Jared McIsaac
  11. Filip Hallander
  12. Akil Thomas
  13. Jett Woo
  14. Jan Jenik
  15. Ivan Morozov
  16. Jacob Olofsson
  17. Jesse Ylonen
  18. Albin Eriksson
  19. Spencer Stastney
  20. Alec Regula
  21. Ruslan Iskhakov
  22. Kirill Marchenko
  23. Benoit-Olivier Groulx
  24. Adam Ginning
  25. Allan McShane
  26. Jack McBain
  27. Kevin Bahl
  28. Xavier Bouchard
  29. Jack Drury
  30. Kyle Topping
  31. Nikolai Kovalenko
  32. Alex Steeves
  33. Milos Roman

I'm particularly a fan of Berggren and Tychonick, if a trade up was possible. Outside of them I would hold. Especially with how Day 1 went. But a player like Samuelsson is there too, though he doesn't have monstrous upside, he will be valuable and fit a lot of what the Flyers could use and realistically fit into their lineup. Probably not happening though. The Flyers don't have a 3rd or ammo to move up. If they managed to swing a 3rd, except for the first player or two I wrote, they might be better off keeping the 3rd.

So, who is possible at 50? I could imagine them preferring a defenseman. It's possible Tychonick slips. McIsaac probably goes early. I guess Woo could be there. at 50 Regula might be a good fit. In this draft it's not really a reach to me. He might go earlier but I could see Ginning too, though I wouldn't prefer it. Them wanting a bigger forward is possible too, if he's BPA at 50. Eriksson could be interesting; Marchenko is a name, though I don't love the hockey sense. Hallander would be very Flyers if there.

Shafigullin and Zhuravlyov are my two major players remaining in the mid rounds or 4th round likely; it's possible they could trade the two 4ths to move up into the 3rd, I suppose. Followed by Stastney. Then the others, though many will likely be gone.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I haven't seen all of these players -- the majority maybe -- but these are stray names I have compiled through various means past my top 62. The rounds are just guesses. We'll see if the Flyers take 1 perhaps. They took Cates and Laczynski in back-to-back years prior...........

ROUND 3

• Axel Andersson (RD)
  • Martin Fehervary (LD)
  • Olivier Rodrigue (G)
  • Jakub Skarek (G)
  • Scott Perunovich (LD)
ROUND 4
  • Justus Annunen (G)
  • Jonny Gruden (C/W)
  • Logan Hutsko (RW) - OA
  • Linus Karlsson (C)
  • Olof Lindbom (G)